Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Killing and preventing moss?

I'm still trying to solve the problem of weeds and moss growing in the
sand-gaps on our brick-paved drive. After advice here I decided
against spraying with a sealant, because of its appearance and its
temporary effect. I spent a day scraping out most of it and then,
after drying, sweeping in new sand.

Is there perhaps some chemical I can sweep in over the sand which will
kill at least the MOSS? (The weeds and grass are sparse, and
relatively easy to remove manually.)

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:28:04 +0000, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

I'm still trying to solve the problem of weeds and moss growing in the
sand-gaps on our brick-paved drive. After advice here I decided
against spraying with a sealant, because of its appearance and its
temporary effect. I spent a day scraping out most of it and then,
after drying, sweeping in new sand.

Is there perhaps some chemical I can sweep in over the sand which will
kill at least the MOSS? (The weeds and grass are sparse, and
relatively easy to remove manually.)

Have a look here http://www.originaltouch.co.uk/acata...sskillers.html

Have used their products on roof and paths and worked OK.

--
David: NorthWest England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 30, 10:28 am, Terry Pinnell
wrote:
I'm still trying to solve the problem of weeds and moss growing in the
sand-gaps on our brick-paved drive. After advice here I decided
against spraying with a sealant, because of its appearance and its
temporary effect. I spent a day scraping out most of it and then,
after drying, sweeping in new sand.

Is there perhaps some chemical I can sweep in over the sand which will
kill at least the MOSS? (The weeds and grass are sparse, and
relatively easy to remove manually.)

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

iron sulphate will kill the moss

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Pinnell wrote:
I'm still trying to solve the problem of weeds and moss growing in the
sand-gaps on our brick-paved drive. After advice here I decided
against spraying with a sealant, because of its appearance and its
temporary effect. I spent a day scraping out most of it and then,
after drying, sweeping in new sand.

Is there perhaps some chemical I can sweep in over the sand which will
kill at least the MOSS? (The weeds and grass are sparse, and
relatively easy to remove manually.)

http://www.danfugesand.dk/en/home.html

Never used it, but Tommy Walsh has put his name to it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm still trying to solve the problem of weeds and moss growing in the
sand-gaps on our brick-paved drive. After advice here I decided
against spraying with a sealant, because of its appearance and its
temporary effect. I spent a day scraping out most of it and then,
after drying, sweeping in new sand.

Is there perhaps some chemical I can sweep in over the sand which will
kill at least the MOSS? (The weeds and grass are sparse, and
relatively easy to remove manually.)

iron sulphate will kill the moss

and stain paved areas (and carpets when brought in on shoes).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Oct, 09:38, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

iron sulphate will kill the moss

and stain paved areas (and carpets when brought in on shoes).

really? i mention as it's often used in lawn feed n weed products - i
obviously haven't read the destructions! but not had a problem either
(yet)...

Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
I'm still trying to solve the problem of weeds and moss growing in the
sand-gaps on our brick-paved drive. After advice here I decided
against spraying with a sealant, because of its appearance and its
temporary effect. I spent a day scraping out most of it and then,
after drying, sweeping in new sand.

Is there perhaps some chemical I can sweep in over the sand which will
kill at least the MOSS? (The weeds and grass are sparse, and
relatively easy to remove manually.)

http://www.danfugesand.dk/en/home.html

Never used it, but Tommy Walsh has put his name to it.

Thanks, I'd like to try it but I see it's not yet available he
"Tommy Walsh’s Dansand® would be available in the UK Retail by the 1th
February 2010."

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm still trying to solve the problem of weeds and moss growing in the
sand-gaps on our brick-paved drive. After advice here I decided
against spraying with a sealant, because of its appearance and its
temporary effect. I spent a day scraping out most of it and then,
after drying, sweeping in new sand.

Is there perhaps some chemical I can sweep in over the sand which will
kill at least the MOSS? (The weeds and grass are sparse, and
relatively easy to remove manually.)

Have a look here http://www.originaltouch.co.uk/acata...sskillers.html

Have used their products on roof and paths and worked OK.

Thanks, I'll try it. Does it matter what time of year you apply this
sort of stuff?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK