Posted to alt.home.repair

Default window crank ID?

My gf's house has a planter window -- sort of a bay window over the
kitchen sink. It has an unusual crank ... and it's broken. Neither the
local Ace nor either the blue or orange box carries anything that
looks like it, nor does anyone in either place recognize it. We cannot
find any identifying marks on the window itself. The window may not
date from the original 1977 construction, but is probably from several
owners back.

Picture of the crank at

http://paleo.org/private/windowcrank.jpg

shows the parts. The assembly is about 6-1/2" long (unbroken). The
handle, at the right, is metal and has a set screw to hold the other
part. The log screw is plastic. It should be -- was -- one part but
broke at the top of the threads. Turning this assembly raises the
panes at the top of the planter window.

Given the amount of stress placed on this piece, I'm sure no glue
would hold. In fact, it seems pretty shortsighted to have used plastic
instead of metal for this part to begin with.

Can anyone clue us in to who the manufacturer might be, or to a place
which supplies a wide enough range of window replacement parts that
they might know what it is? I looked around on swisco.com and did not
see anything like it.

Thanks,

Edward
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 1, 2014 2:54:49 PM UTC-4, Edward Reid wrote:
[...]

try a local window shop, in pittsburgh its pittsburgh window and door, extremely knowledgable...

it will be costly but you could get a machine shop to make a new one
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 14:54:49 -0400, Edward Reid
wrote:

[...]

Do you have a local architectural salvage store in your area? I'd try
there first. There are online architectural salvage stores around the
country. Sending your photo to them may get you some help.

A local historical restoration society may be of some help, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JAS JAS is offline

Edward Reid wrote:
[...]

Maybe a picture of the window?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 1, 2014 3:55:02 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
[...]

+1

That's where I'd try too. It's unbelievable that thing is made of plastic.
That suggests it's some junko product. It's old and the company may no
longer be in existence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 14:54:49 -0400, Edward Reid
wrote:

snip

Can anyone clue us in to who the manufacturer might be, or to a place
which supplies a wide enough range of window replacement parts that
they might know what it is? I looked around on swisco.com and did not
see anything like it.

Thanks,

Edward

Blaine window http://www.blainewindow.com/index.php

has a link on their website so you can send them a digital photo and
they will try to identify the part.

http://www.amscousa.com/Window_Hardw...ndow_parts.htm

Is another source. They have a lot more stuff than what is online, so
you are best off sending them a photo as well.

Good luck!

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No idea what manufacturer, but it is definitely a crappy design. Find
a good machinist and have the screw copied in brass and to fit a
standard window crank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edward Reid" wrote in message

[...]

I would drill each broken part. Tap threads in them. Cut head off a bolt of
same thread. Put a little JB Weld on the threads. Add some to the broken
areas also. Thread them together. Let set overnight. Stronger than when new.
WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I've sent inquiries with the photo to SWISCO, AMSCO, Blaine,
and windowdoorparts.com. Will try a local store if I can find a
reputable one. I'll try to get a picture of the window and post it. No
question it's junk, but it's not worth replacing.

Edward
Posted to alt.home.repair

All four said it's not available ... we did find it in the AMSCO full
(PDF) catalog, part number 900-19756, "Elevating Screw Worm - Garden
Window Hardware" ... with the notation "not available". Looks like our
choices are 1) replace entire window (not gonna happen), 2) try
salvage (as suggested here), 3) get a custom-made replacement
(unlikely due to cost), 4) try to repair the part as suggested (we do
have a drill press, but I don't really know how much chance we'd have
of succeeding), 5) rig up a simpler method of elevating the window.
Since we don't really need the infinite adjustment capability of the
worm drive, #5 will probably be the winner.

Thanks for the ideas!

Edward

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 02:44:06 -0400, Edward Reid
wrote:

Thanks. I've sent inquiries with the photo to SWISCO, AMSCO, Blaine,
and windowdoorparts.com. Will try a local store if I can find a
reputable one. I'll try to get a picture of the window and post it. No
question it's junk, but it's not worth replacing.

Edward

Senior Member

Edward Reid:

If your GF has these windows in her home, then someone was selling them in your area at one time, and there are undoubtedly other homes in your area that have the same style of window. That means the local window and glass repair shops have undoubtedly seen this kind of window before and would know something about them, even if they know that these windows are no longer made and parts are no longer available.

But, you need to show your photos to the people that work at the well established window and glass repair shops in your area, not to the guys working at Home Depot and/or Lowes.