Posted to alt.home.repair
JAS JAS is offline

Default window crank ID?

Edward Reid wrote:
My gf's house has a planter window -- sort of a bay window over the
kitchen sink. It has an unusual crank ... and it's broken. Neither the
local Ace nor either the blue or orange box carries anything that
looks like it, nor does anyone in either place recognize it. We cannot
find any identifying marks on the window itself. The window may not
date from the original 1977 construction, but is probably from several
owners back.

Picture of the crank at

http://paleo.org/private/windowcrank.jpg

shows the parts. The assembly is about 6-1/2" long (unbroken). The
handle, at the right, is metal and has a set screw to hold the other
part. The log screw is plastic. It should be -- was -- one part but
broke at the top of the threads. Turning this assembly raises the
panes at the top of the planter window.

Given the amount of stress placed on this piece, I'm sure no glue
would hold. In fact, it seems pretty shortsighted to have used plastic
instead of metal for this part to begin with.

Can anyone clue us in to who the manufacturer might be, or to a place
which supplies a wide enough range of window replacement parts that
they might know what it is? I looked around on swisco.com and did not
see anything like it.

Thanks,

Edward

Maybe a picture of the window?