Chris Carruth

Default crank lift help

I am trying to fashion a set of drop down wheels for a cabinet. These
casters are screwed to the underside of cross piece of wood (front to
back). They will be on a hinge so that when they are down they are inside
the cabinet, when the cross piece is pushed down, they below the bottom and
raise the cabinet.

I would like to have a crank lift where I could insert a handle from outside
the cabinet into a recess that contains the end of the linkage to the crank
lift itself. If the crank is turned one direction, it meshes a gear which
drives a rod down onto the edge of the crosspiece, opposite from the hinges.
If it is turned the other direction, then the rod comes up and the weight of
the cabinet forces the casters up underneath and inside the cabinet housing.
Kind of like the old foot operated sewing machines, but using a crank lift
versus your foot to move the pedal.

Any ideas on how to do this "cheaply"? I have seen commercial solutions but
they are way toooo expensive.

Gary

Check out the retractable castors made for ShopSmith universal wood
tools. I bought a set on e-bay for about 20 bucks. Could hardly make
one for less.
73 Gary N9ZSV

Ken Sterling

[...]

I think, rather than designing with rods, screws, linkage, etc., that
I would try to use a "cam" on a pivot, where you could insert a handle
of sorts into a hole in the cam, move the cam downward, which would
push down on the "2 x 4" or whatever the casters are mounted to. The
cam would remain in position until you used the lever to rotate the
cam the other direction to retract the casters.
Ken.

The traditional theater-scenery way is to make the plate long and step
on it to lower the casters and raise the box. Then slip in a brace to
hold it. Could you do it with a hinged toggle linkage that operates by
pulling a rope?

The caster plates I've put under most of my woodworking machines are
hinged on the inside and swing 180 degrees, in to operate and out under
the wall of the base to move. I just lift one end and push the plate in
or out with my foot. The plates have retaining hooks for the
wheels-down position to pass over a door threshold.

jw

Brian Lawson

Hey Chris,

Consider making the "legs" the moving part, and the wheels fixed
solid. Easier to work with, and simpler to do. And if it gets too
heavy too "lift" somehow, you will still be able to move it. If you
use retail hardware like the threaded stem nylon (??) "feet" for say a
fridge or desk, then they are adjustable very easily too, or at least
much more so than the same on a wheel or caster.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 01:58:53 GMT, "Chris Carruth"
wrote:

[...]

Fixing a broken window crank toller Home Repair 9 July 21st 05 06:45 AM
Crosslide Crank and Handle on 12" Crafstmas Lathe Terry Metalworking 4 July 20th 05 09:54 AM
A house with a lift station? miamicuse Home Repair 7 June 26th 05 08:13 PM
Scissors lift Roger Hull Metalworking 7 June 9th 05 04:18 PM
wtb replacement 36v fork lift battery William Danielson Metalworking 7 March 1st 04 02:08 PM