Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove crank cover on ~20yo Andersen casement window

I want to remove all the hardware from a pair of casement windows so I
can refinish the interior trim. Most things had obvious screws but
the cover at the base of the crank handle doesn't have screws and
isn't loose enough to just pull off. The previous owner likely had
the same problem because the covers are cracked, I don't want to
stress them more. The instructions on the Andersen site are for newer
windows, I found some generic directions elsewhere on the web ("remove
the crank cover") that didn't help very much. The picture at
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...003822679.html it
tantalizingly close but that cover has screws. Does anyone here know
where the catch is that releases the old style (screw-less) cover?
Can you give me a technique for removing it that won't break it?
Thanks.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

the crank cover") that didn't help very much. *The picture athttp://ths..gardenweb.com/forums/load/repair/msg1018003822679.htmlit
tantalizingly close but that cover has screws. *Does anyone here know
where the catch is that releases the old style (screw-less) cover?
Can you give me a technique for removing it that won't break it?

Sorry. Brain cramp. My operator cover *does* have screws but even
with the screws out, it won't come off. There must be a catch
underneath somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 9:12*am, Christopher Nelson wrote:
[...]

Similar brain cramp because in installed a couple of the Anderson
Cranker's in a sunroom several years ago. BUT - as I recall, you
removed the setscrew on the crank; removed a screw(s) on the cover;
and then there was a mechanical detent on the bracket or the shaft the
gave a little resistance. Try a little gentle pressure,

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 10:35*am, RonB wrote:
On Oct 1, 9:12*am, Christopher Nelson wrote:
On Oct 1, 8:47*am, Christopher Nelson wrote:
I want to remove all the hardware from a pair of casement windows so I
can refinish the interior trim. *Most things had obvious screws but
the cover at the base of the crank handle doesn't have screws and
isn't loose enough to just pull off. *...

Got it off. The catch is in the middle of the top of the cover. I
know that now because I got it apart but the way I got it apart was by
loosening the bottom of the inside frame with a putty knife and
lifting it up enough that the cover could rise off the catch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 05:47:45 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Nelson
wrote:

I want to remove all the hardware from a pair of casement windows so I
can refinish the interior trim. Most things had obvious screws but
the cover at the base of the crank handle doesn't have screws and
isn't loose enough to just pull off. The previous owner likely had
the same problem because the covers are cracked, I don't want to
stress them more. The instructions on the Andersen site are for newer
windows, I found some generic directions elsewhere on the web ("remove
the crank cover") that didn't help very much. The picture at
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...003822679.html it
tantalizingly close but that cover has screws. Does anyone here know
where the catch is that releases the old style (screw-less) cover?
Can you give me a technique for removing it that won't break it?
Thanks.

Chris

I very recently had to replace the crank/arm mechanism on an Andersen
casement 20+yo. Even with the screws out there was no cover to come
off. I had to pry up the horizontal trim piece which exposed three
more screws when then allowed the unit to be removed.

Now, I don't know if the cover does remove independently of the other
parts, but it doesn't look like it on my unit(s). Good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 1, 2011 at 11:35:32 AM UTC-4, Christopher Nelson wrote:
On Oct 1, 10:35Â*am, RonB wrote:
On Oct 1, 9:12Â*am, Christopher Nelson wrote:
On Oct 1, 8:47Â*am, Christopher Nelson wrote:
I want to remove all the hardware from a pair of casement windows so I
can refinish the interior trim. Â*Most things had obvious screws but
the cover at the base of the crank handle doesn't have screws and
isn't loose enough to just pull off. Â*...

Got it off. The catch is in the middle of the top of the cover. I
know that now because I got it apart but the way I got it apart was by
loosening the bottom of the inside frame with a putty knife and
lifting it up enough that the cover could rise off the catch.

This was helpful! I just gently pried the middle up while putting pressure on the unit from the OUTSIDE of the window. It popped off with no damage.
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.slack,alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 10:35*am, RonB wrote:
On Oct 1, 9:12*am, Christopher Nelson wrote:
On Oct 1, 8:47*am, Christopher Nelson wrote:
I want to remove all the hardware from a pair of casement windows so I
can refinish the interior trim. *Most things had obvious screws but
the cover at the base of the crank handle doesn't have screws and
isn't loose enough to just pull off. *...

Got it off. The catch is in the middle of the top of the cover. I
know that now because I got it apart but the way I got it apart was by
loosening the bottom of the inside frame with a putty knife and
lifting it up enough that the cover could rise off the catch.

This was helpful! I just gently pried the middle up while putting pressure on the unit from the OUTSIDE of the window. It popped off with no damage.

You are most likely a lying piece of ****. Here at Sunset Chateau, we have those Andersen windows; and that crank cover (getting it off that is) is always a crap shoot. Consider your ass ****in' lucky if you got it off without damage.

That's because you're simply inept, you dumb ditsoon!
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.military.retired,alt.home.repair,alt.slack

Fecalpheliac scatboi g8dgc aka Copro Edmund J. Burke aka Sir
Copro Gregory Hall, Esq aka Janiturd aka Neal Warren fake vet
*whined like a little limp wristed ladyboi bitch*:

You are most likely a lying piece of ****. Here at Sun****
****eau, we have those Andersen windows; and that crank
cover (getting it off that is) is always a crap shoot.
Consider your ass ****in' lucky if you got it off without
damage.

Sincerely,
Pleasance's Fake Vet Frecalpheliac Faggot.

You look like a pillow biting sissy, little
Copro fake vet Eddie..

https://imgur.com/lrQvLto --- LOL