Posted to alt.home.repair
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default How to remove crank cover on ~20yo Andersen casement window

On Oct 1, 9:12*am, Christopher Nelson wrote:
On Oct 1, 8:47*am, Christopher Nelson wrote:

I want to remove all the hardware from a pair of casement windows so I
can refinish the interior trim. *Most things had obvious screws but
the cover at the base of the crank handle doesn't have screws and
isn't loose enough to just pull off. *The previous owner likely had
the same problem because the covers are cracked, *I don't want to
stress them more. *The instructions on the Andersen site are for newer
windows, I found some generic directions elsewhere on the web ("remove
the crank cover") that didn't help very much. *The picture athttp://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/repair/msg1018003822679.htmlit
tantalizingly close but that cover has screws. *Does anyone here know
where the catch is that releases the old style (screw-less) cover?
Can you give me a technique for removing it that won't break it?

Sorry. *Brain cramp. *My operator cover *does* have screws but even
with the screws out, it won't come off. *There must be a catch
underneath somewhere.

Similar brain cramp because in installed a couple of the Anderson
Cranker's in a sunroom several years ago. BUT - as I recall, you
removed the setscrew on the crank; removed a screw(s) on the cover;
and then there was a mechanical detent on the bracket or the shaft the
gave a little resistance. Try a little gentle pressure,

RonB