Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] rick.umiker@gmail.com is offline

Default How to remove crank cover on ~20yo Andersen casement window

On Saturday, October 1, 2011 at 11:35:32 AM UTC-4, Christopher Nelson wrote:
On Oct 1, 10:35Â*am, RonB wrote:
On Oct 1, 9:12Â*am, Christopher Nelson wrote:
On Oct 1, 8:47Â*am, Christopher Nelson wrote:
I want to remove all the hardware from a pair of casement windows so I
can refinish the interior trim. Â*Most things had obvious screws but
the cover at the base of the crank handle doesn't have screws and
isn't loose enough to just pull off. Â*...

Got it off. The catch is in the middle of the top of the cover. I
know that now because I got it apart but the way I got it apart was by
loosening the bottom of the inside frame with a putty knife and
lifting it up enough that the cover could rise off the catch.

This was helpful! I just gently pried the middle up while putting pressure on the unit from the OUTSIDE of the window. It popped off with no damage.