Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bobm3@worthless.info is offline

Default How to remove crank cover on ~20yo Andersen casement window

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 05:47:45 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Nelson
wrote:

I want to remove all the hardware from a pair of casement windows so I
can refinish the interior trim. Most things had obvious screws but
the cover at the base of the crank handle doesn't have screws and
isn't loose enough to just pull off. The previous owner likely had
the same problem because the covers are cracked, I don't want to
stress them more. The instructions on the Andersen site are for newer
windows, I found some generic directions elsewhere on the web ("remove
the crank cover") that didn't help very much. The picture at
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...003822679.html it
tantalizingly close but that cover has screws. Does anyone here know
where the catch is that releases the old style (screw-less) cover?
Can you give me a technique for removing it that won't break it?
Thanks.

Chris

I very recently had to replace the crank/arm mechanism on an Andersen
casement 20+yo. Even with the screws out there was no cover to come
off. I had to pry up the horizontal trim piece which exposed three
more screws when then allowed the unit to be removed.

Now, I don't know if the cover does remove independently of the other
parts, but it doesn't look like it on my unit(s). Good luck