Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Tire valve caps

Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was leaking.
They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they weren't there I'd
likely check more often. All I can think of is to keep dirt out of valves?

TIA

--
I love a good meal! So I don't cook.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Jul 2014 17:14:20 GMT, KenK wrote:

Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was leaking.
They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they weren't there I'd
likely check more often. All I can think of is to keep dirt out of valves?

TIA

Would you leave off the valve caps on your auto AC lines (high/low)?

They serve a purpose - dirt is one of the reasons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2014 12:14 PM, KenK wrote:
Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was leaking.
They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they weren't there I'd
likely check more often. All I can think of is to keep dirt out of valves?

If you live in a cold climate, moisture is another reason. You don't
want ice or snow to build up in the valve and maybe end up damaging it
or causing a slow leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On 17 Jul 2014 17:14:20 GMT, KenK wrote:

Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was
leaking. They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they
weren't there I'd likely check more often. All I can think of is to
keep dirt out of valves?

TIA

Would you leave off the valve caps on your auto AC lines (high/low)?

Valve caps on car A./C? I've never noticed them. Where are they? On the
A/C itself? Where 'freon' is added? I don't even know where mine is.
Never had to mess with it. (Only have owned the car a few months.)

They serve a purpose - dirt is one of the reasons.

--
I love a good meal! So I don't cook.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:45:50 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Oren wrote in

:

On 17 Jul 2014 17:14:20 GMT, KenK wrote:

Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was

leaking. They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they

weren't there I'd likely check more often. All I can think of is to

keep dirt out of valves?

TIA

Would you leave off the valve caps on your auto AC lines (high/low)?

Valve caps on car A./C? I've never noticed them. Where are they? On the

A/C itself? Where 'freon' is added?

Yes.

I don't even know where mine is.

Never had to mess with it. (Only have owned the car a few months.)

Unless you have a problem and are DIY you don't need to know.

They serve a purpose - dirt is one of the reasons.

I would think dirt would be the main reason. Get dirt in there, then
you fill it, some of the dirt gets stuck and the valve doesn't close.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK writes:

Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was leaking.
They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they weren't there I'd
likely check more often. All I can think of is to keep dirt out of valves?

Yep.

But the primary purpose they serve is in finding lost socks.
When you lose one sock, that sock goes to a special place.
The same place lost valve caps go.

Apologies to those who are not Ren and Stimpy fans.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Jul 2014 17:45:50 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

On 17 Jul 2014 17:14:20 GMT, KenK wrote:

Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was
leaking. They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they
weren't there I'd likely check more often. All I can think of is to
keep dirt out of valves?

TIA

Would you leave off the valve caps on your auto AC lines (high/low)?

Valve caps on car A./C? I've never noticed them. Where are they? On the
A/C itself? Where 'freon' is added? I don't even know where mine is.
Never had to mess with it. (Only have owned the car a few months.)

Yes. They will be metal, using an O-ring vs a typical tire cap on the
valve stem. The valve stem is essentially the same in size and design.

IOW - use the caps as intended. Stop being lazy trying to avoid the
cap on the tire.

They serve a purpose - dirt is one of the reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote in :

Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was leaking.
They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they weren't there I'd
likely check more often. All I can think of is to keep dirt out of valves?

That's it exactly: to keep foreign matter out of the valves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/14, 2:57 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
KenK wrote in :

Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was leaking.
They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they weren't there I'd
likely check more often. All I can think of is to keep dirt out of valves?

That's it exactly: to keep foreign matter out of the valves.

I like the aftermarket ones that can unscrew the core. If they were
cast iron, I could find them with a magnet. If a wheel had 6 valves, I
could balance it by screwing on cast iron valve caps of different weights.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was leaking.
They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they weren't there I'd
likely check more often. All I can think of is to keep dirt out of valves?

TIA

Hi,
New cars have tire pressure monitor valves. Don't need to check
pressure unless monitor senses it. Put in Nitrogen which is more stable.
Nitrogen filled tire valve caps are green in color. You think keeping
dirt out is unimportant?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message ...

Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was leaking.
They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they weren't there I'd
likely check more often. All I can think of is to keep dirt out of valves?

To keep dirt out of valves

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2014 1:51 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

But the primary purpose they serve is in finding lost socks.
When you lose one sock, that sock goes to a special place.
The same place lost valve caps go.

Apologies to those who are not Ren and Stimpy fans.

Speaking for others, I accept your apology.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 12:40:04 -0500, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

On 7/17/2014 12:14 PM, KenK wrote:
Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was leaking.
They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they weren't there I'd
likely check more often. All I can think of is to keep dirt out of valves?

If you live in a cold climate, moisture is another reason. You don't
want ice or snow to build up in the valve and maybe end up damaging it
or causing a slow leak.

Or a not so slow leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2014 5:24 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Put in Nitrogen which is more stable.
Nitrogen filled tire valve caps are green in color. You think keeping
dirt out is unimportant?

I've had good results using 80% nitrogen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 20:30:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/17/2014 5:24 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Put in Nitrogen which is more stable.
Nitrogen filled tire valve caps are green in color. You think keeping
dirt out is unimportant?

I've had good results using 80% nitrogen.

It's worked for me for 50 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in :

KenK wrote:
Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was leaking.
They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they weren't there I'd
likely check more often. All I can think of is to keep dirt out of valves?

TIA

Hi,
New cars have tire pressure monitor valves. Don't need to check
pressure unless monitor senses it. Put in Nitrogen which is more stable.

You *are* aware, aren't you, that air is 79% percent nitrogen anyway?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2014 9:49 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote in :

Hi,
New cars have tire pressure monitor valves. Don't need to check
pressure unless monitor senses it. Put in Nitrogen which is more stable.

You *are* aware, aren't you, that air is 79% percent nitrogen anyway?

I was at a tire store last week and there was some nutcake demanding nitrogen be used on his PT Cruiser clown car. ROFLMAO!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2014 8:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/17/2014 5:24 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Put in Nitrogen which is more stable.
Nitrogen filled tire valve caps are green in color. You think keeping
dirt out is unimportant?

I've had good results using 80% nitrogen.

Yeah, but diluted watered down nitrogen isn't
any where near as strong.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:59:13 PM UTC-7, J Burns wrote:
On 7/17/14, 2:57 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I like the aftermarket ones that can unscrew the core. If they were
cast iron, I could find them with a magnet. If a wheel had 6 valves, I
could balance it by screwing on cast iron valve caps of different weights.

. I remember when cars came with those style caps.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
KenK writes:

Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was
leaking. They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they
weren't there I'd likely check more often. All I can think of is to
keep dirt out of valves?

Yep.

But the primary purpose they serve is in finding lost socks.
When you lose one sock, that sock goes to a special place.
The same place lost valve caps go.

I know where valve caps go, and that's where I get them if I need some. I just
go to a gas station and look around on the ground near the air hose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message news:lqbfv5

I know where valve caps go, and that's where I get them if I need some. I

just
go to a gas station and look around on the ground near the air hose.

What a great idea! I need a few. I recently bought some valve caps with
built-in pressure indicators but one of them already blew off the valve stem
for some reason. So far the other three are holding but I am beginning to
wonder about how good it is long-term to have the valve pin always depressed
(so that the caps can read the tire pressure). I guess we'll see. At least
when the one valve cap blew off, it failed "safe" and didn't deflate the
tire.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang posted
Hi, -------------------
New cars have tire pressure monitor valves. Don't need to check
pressure unless monitor senses it. Put in Nitrogen which is more stable.

Baloney, stable isn't why you use nitrogen.. The nitrogen molecules are larger than the oxygen molecules, and don't leak out/seep through the rubber as quickly, so the pressure drop due to leakage is less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2014 10:09 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

The summer temp is as high as 30C and in winter it drops as low as -35C,
fluctuation of tire pressure is quite noticeable between season.
Local Costco tire shops use only Nitrogen, some shops charge extra for
that. Pretty soon I need a set of new summer tires, probably go for
Continental Contact LX2 with Nitrogen..

You have summer and winter tires? Get a set of Nokian WR3G for year
round use.
http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wrg3/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 23:15:24 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/19/2014 10:09 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

The summer temp is as high as 30C and in winter it drops as low as -35C,
fluctuation of tire pressure is quite noticeable between season.
Local Costco tire shops use only Nitrogen, some shops charge extra for
that. Pretty soon I need a set of new summer tires, probably go for
Continental Contact LX2 with Nitrogen..

You have summer and winter tires? Get a set of Nokian WR3G for year
round use.
http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wrg3/

All season tires are a compromize - even Nokians.

I use ice and snow tires for the winter, and high performance touring
tires for the summer except, at least for now, my wife's car. She does
not need to go anywhere if the roads are bad - I can take her where
she needs to go with the truck, So she's got TigerPaw Touring tires on
the Taurus. (car goes about 5000km a year if we don't take a major
summer road trip)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2014 11:54 PM, wrote:

You have summer and winter tires? Get a set of Nokian WR3G for year
round use.
http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wrg3/

All season tires are a compromize - even Nokians.

Unlike "all season" tires, they have a real snow rating. Smooth ride at
110 mph too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Right, winter tires here is Nokian, Toyo, Michelin X Ice II on separate
steel rims. I change tires myself since I have needed tools at home
garage. Compressor, all the air tools and 3.5 ton floor jack, etc. Every
vehicles in my family are AWD, still winter tires do help in snow
and on ice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/19/2014 11:54 PM, wrote:

You have summer and winter tires? Get a set of Nokian WR3G for year
round use.
http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wrg3/

All season tires are a compromize - even Nokians.

Unlike "all season" tires, they have a real snow rating. Smooth ride at
110 mph too.

Hi,
What is UTQG rating on them? I did not give too much attention when they
came out. We always have two sets of tires per vehicle. Winter and
summer. Always drive AWD type.
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote in :

One advantage to nitrogen is that it's dry. When I used a compressor to
fill an air tank to work on farm tires, water would accumulate in the
tank. The partial pressure of moisture in a tire could vary a lot with
temperature. A race car could develop too much pressure in its hot
tires, and a plane could touch down with too little in its cold tires.

Hey moron: FYI a passenger car is not a race car or high altitude plane.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2014 1:25 AM, J Burns wrote:
One advantage to nitrogen is that it's dry. When I used a compressor to
fill an air tank to work on farm tires, water would accumulate in the
tank. The partial pressure of moisture in a tire could vary a lot with
temperature. A race car could develop too much pressure in its hot
tires, and a plane could touch down with too little in its cold tires.

None of this matters. I want to hear about valve caps!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2014 2:00 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Right, winter tires here is Nokian, Toyo, Michelin X Ice II on separate
steel rims. I change tires myself since I have needed tools at home
garage. Compressor, all the air tools and 3.5 ton floor jack, etc. Every
vehicles in my family are AWD, still winter tires do help in snow
and on ice.

Baah, this is all trivia. brand, tread,
none matters. Do you have stainless
valve caps? With anti corrosive thread
treatment?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2014 5:38 AM, Zaky Waky wrote:
J Burns wrote in :

One advantage to nitrogen is that it's dry. When I used a compressor to
fill an air tank to work on farm tires, water would accumulate in the
tank. The partial pressure of moisture in a tire could vary a lot with
temperature. A race car could develop too much pressure in its hot
tires, and a plane could touch down with too little in its cold tires.

Hey moron: FYI a passenger car is not a race car or high altitude plane.

And all of this trivia doesn't matter,
when you have the wrong valve caps.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/20/2014 2:00 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Right, winter tires here is Nokian, Toyo, Michelin X Ice II on separate
steel rims. I change tires myself since I have needed tools at home
garage. Compressor, all the air tools and 3.5 ton floor jack, etc. Every
vehicles in my family are AWD, still winter tires do help in snow
and on ice.

Baah, this is all trivia. brand, tread,
none matters. Do you have stainless
valve caps? With anti corrosive thread
treatment?

Hi,
My car came with OEM pressure monitoring system, son's being
high performance type it is dressed up. Wife's, just AWD jalopy
she loves, won't have any thing else. I even tried to bribe her
with Bimmer X3, LOL! She used to drive around when kids were young
a 1 ton camoerized/tow van. Our car buying days are over. At 75, we have
to take physical exam to renew license, and then every two years
there after. When we're not allowed to drive, I guess we have to move
into down town condo or move out to cabin. Or time to say bye to mother
earth for another journey, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/20/2014 1:25 AM, J Burns wrote:
One advantage to nitrogen is that it's dry. When I used a compressor to
fill an air tank to work on farm tires, water would accumulate in the
tank. The partial pressure of moisture in a tire could vary a lot with
temperature. A race car could develop too much pressure in its hot
tires, and a plane could touch down with too little in its cold tires.

None of this matters. I want to hear about valve caps!

Hi,
Don't matter now. There is tires which are flat proof sort of.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JAS JAS is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/20/2014 2:00 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Right, winter tires here is Nokian, Toyo, Michelin X Ice II on separate
steel rims. I change tires myself since I have needed tools at home
garage. Compressor, all the air tools and 3.5 ton floor jack, etc. Every
vehicles in my family are AWD, still winter tires do help in snow
and on ice.

Baah, this is all trivia. brand, tread,
none matters. Do you have stainless
valve caps? With anti corrosive thread
treatment?

Why don't you check for this week answers, maybe it will be there? Quit
being such an antagonistic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 23:58:34 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/19/2014 11:54 PM, wrote:

You have summer and winter tires? Get a set of Nokian WR3G for year
round use.
http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wrg3/

All season tires are a compromize - even Nokians.

Unlike "all season" tires, they have a real snow rating. Smooth ride at
110 mph too.

But they are a compromize for 90F+ highway running.. You wear them out
faster than you would like to wear out an expensive tire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 00:00:45 -0600, Tony Hwang

[...]

I always have both sets mounted on separate rims. My truck came with
14" summer tires on the original factory alloys and a pair of snows on
steelies. The summer tires had something like 187000km on them and the
snows were 17 years old!!!
I had a good set of 15" Dunlop Graspics with one season of use on my
PT Cruizer that were the right diameter, so for $100 I picked up a set
of 15" alloys from a Lincoln Continental and mounted the snows. Then
I bought a set of 16" Torque Thrust alloys with a half worn set of
Coopers on them and ran them for one summer - and replaced them with
new Michelins this spring. Ford makes a speedo gear with one less
teeth than the original that corrects the speedo perfectly. - a 5
minute job to switch gears spring and fall.
On the old Mystique it had 15" summer tires on alloys and a set of 14"
snows on steelies. The Taureus has 16" on alloys. If we did a lot of
winter driving with it I'd be picking up another set of rims and
putting on a good set of ice/snow tires.

Install and ballance ONCE - then it's a simple switch spring and fall.