Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default OT Tire valve caps

On 7/19/14, 5:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/19/2014 4:59 PM, wrote:
Tony Hwang posted
Hi, -------------------
New cars have tire pressure monitor valves. Don't need to check
pressure unless monitor senses it. Put in Nitrogen which is more stable.

Baloney, stable isn't why you use nitrogen.. The nitrogen molecules
are larger than the oxygen molecules, and don't leak out/seep through
the rubber as quickly, so the pressure drop due to leakage is less.

How much does it really matter? I had new tires put on my car last
November. Air pressure is still OK. Previous tires I added air one
time that I can recall.

Nitrogen was initially used for aircraft tires subjected to radical
temperature changes and high speed landings. Later, race cars started.
Personally, I could not be bothered.

One advantage to nitrogen is that it's dry. When I used a compressor to
fill an air tank to work on farm tires, water would accumulate in the
tank. The partial pressure of moisture in a tire could vary a lot with
temperature. A race car could develop too much pressure in its hot
tires, and a plane could touch down with too little in its cold tires.