Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to brace wall from outside

Have a load bearing wall with 4 floor to ceiling windows. I would like to close these up. I can get braces built on the inside. Not sure how to brace from the outside though. It's straight up.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168999...CKbakMjo_u6uLw

Pics 1 & 2 are inside views. Pics 3 & 4 are from the outside looking up.

Any ideas?

thx richard
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Have a load bearing wall with 4 floor to ceiling windows. I would like to close these up. I can get braces built on the inside. Not sure how to brace from the outside though. It's straight up.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168999...CKbakMjo_u6uLw

Pics 1 & 2 are inside views. Pics 3 & 4 are from the outside looking up.

Any ideas?

thx richard

Hi,
Is the wall 2x4 or 2x6? Either way I'd build stud walls to fit the
openings and exterior sheathing + house wrap + exterior matching finish,
use insulation of your choice for the new wall + vapor barrier +
finish the wall(making sure they are flush with existing wall)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Have a load bearing wall with 4 floor to ceiling windows. I would like to
close these up. I can get braces built on the inside. Not sure how to
brace from the outside though. It's straight up.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168999...CKbakMjo_u6uLw

Pics 1 & 2 are inside views. Pics 3 & 4 are from the outside looking up.

Any ideas?

thx richard

Maybe I'm missing something. Why do you need to brace it? The windows
aren't are bearing any load, so you can take them out without worry. I
assume the supports between the windows are bearing a load, unless the
header is doing all the work.

If the supports between the windows aren't where you need them to be, e.g.
16 or 24" OC, put your other studs in place before removing the existing
supports.

Am I missing something?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 7:46:38 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:

Have a load bearing wall with 4 floor to ceiling windows. I would like to

close these up. I can get braces built on the inside. Not sure how to

brace from the outside though. It's straight up.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168999...CKbakMjo_u6uLw

Pics 1 & 2 are inside views. Pics 3 & 4 are from the outside looking up.

Any ideas?

thx richard

Maybe I'm missing something. Why do you need to brace it? The windows

aren't are bearing any load, so you can take them out without worry. I

assume the supports between the windows are bearing a load, unless the

header is doing all the work.

If the supports between the windows aren't where you need them to be, e.g.

16" or 24" OC, put your other studs in place before removing the existing

supports.

Am I missing something?

+1 I don't see what the need for "external bracing" is either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:46:38 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:

Have a load bearing wall with 4 floor to ceiling windows. I would like to

close these up. I can get braces built on the inside. Not sure how to

brace from the outside though. It's straight up.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168999...CKbakMjo_u6uLw

Pics 1 & 2 are inside views. Pics 3 & 4 are from the outside looking up.

Any ideas?

thx richard

Maybe I'm missing something. Why do you need to brace it? The windows

aren't are bearing any load, so you can take them out without worry. I

assume the supports between the windows are bearing a load, unless the

header is doing all the work.

If the supports between the windows aren't where you need them to be, e.g.

16" or 24" OC, put your other studs in place before removing the existing

supports.

Am I missing something?

Hello Derby,

That's what I get from rushing a post. I am planning on taking out the beam support and the posts and replacing it with a conventional wall.

There are studs sitting on top of that beam going across supporting the roof rafters. I just wanted to make sure that those studs get supported. When I take out that cedar beam, they will be floating.

I can brace from the inside to support the ceiling joists, but the studs will need support when I take the wall out. Just wanted to be sure they stay when in put in the top plates (there are no top plates).

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why take out the beam? Is there something wrong with it? If not, just
full in the wall below the beam and leave the beam in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168999...CKbakMjo_u6uLw

Hello Derby,

That's what I get from rushing a post. I am planning on taking out the
beam support and the posts and replacing it with a conventional wall.

There are studs sitting on top of that beam going across supporting the
roof rafters. I just wanted to make sure that those studs get supported.
When I take out that cedar beam, they will be floating.

I can brace from the inside to support the ceiling joists, but the studs
will need support when I take the wall out. Just wanted to be sure they
stay when in put in the top plates (there are no top plates).

thanks

Why do you need to take out the beam?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You don't explain why you want to replace the wall. If all you need to do is remove the windows then remove them and frame the holes.

If you really need to remove the beam you will have to support the structure above it. It looks like there is a second story above it? If the second story construction is platform on wall then you can simply build a temporary wall just inside the original wall.

If it's something else then you need to figure out exactly what the construction above the beam is before we can give you good advice.

Old Brace id? Stupendous Man Metalworking 10 April 24th 08 03:00 PM
Homemade brace question scouter3 Woodworking 16 March 20th 07 11:43 AM
2101 brace, my first AAvK Woodworking 2 May 16th 05 09:52 AM
Using an old brace as a wrench? AAvK Woodworking 23 February 3rd 05 06:35 PM
Cutting a curved brace Woodworking 5 October 15th 03 08:01 PM