Posted to alt.home.repair
jamesgang jamesgang is offline

Default how to brace wall from outside

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 9:35:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:46:38 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

wrote:

Have a load bearing wall with 4 floor to ceiling windows. I would like to

close these up. I can get braces built on the inside. Not sure how to

brace from the outside though. It's straight up.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168999...CKbakMjo_u6uLw

Pics 1 & 2 are inside views. Pics 3 & 4 are from the outside looking up.

Any ideas?

thx richard

Maybe I'm missing something. Why do you need to brace it? The windows

aren't are bearing any load, so you can take them out without worry. I

assume the supports between the windows are bearing a load, unless the

header is doing all the work.

If the supports between the windows aren't where you need them to be, e..g.

16" or 24" OC, put your other studs in place before removing the existing

supports.

Am I missing something?

Hello Derby,

That's what I get from rushing a post. I am planning on taking out the beam support and the posts and replacing it with a conventional wall.

There are studs sitting on top of that beam going across supporting the roof rafters. I just wanted to make sure that those studs get supported. When I take out that cedar beam, they will be floating.

I can brace from the inside to support the ceiling joists, but the studs will need support when I take the wall out. Just wanted to be sure they stay when in put in the top plates (there are no top plates).

thanks

You don't explain why you want to replace the wall. If all you need to do is remove the windows then remove them and frame the holes.

If you really need to remove the beam you will have to support the structure above it. It looks like there is a second story above it? If the second story construction is platform on wall then you can simply build a temporary wall just inside the original wall.

If it's something else then you need to figure out exactly what the construction above the beam is before we can give you good advice.