Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old Brace id?

Anyone know who might have made this Brace and when? I can find no markings,
and guess about 100 years old. The jaws threaded rods use a reverse thread
on one side for easy clamping, pre-rust. I have seen a "Brace wrench"
before, but these jaws are grooved on a taper to accept a standard Bit.
I am tempted to bead blast it, but don't know if that would ruin any value
it may have to a collector.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/100_0291.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/100_0292.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am tempted to bead blast it, but don't know if that would ruin any value
it may have to a collector.http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/100_0292.jpg

The brace has been on a long journey for a long time. I would take it
apart, soak off the rust in vinegar and beadblast as necessary to make
it look nice.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

Stupendous Man wrote:
Anyone know who might have made this Brace and when? I can find no
markings, and guess about 100 years old. The jaws threaded rods use a
reverse thread on one side for easy clamping, pre-rust. I have seen a
"Brace wrench" before, but these jaws are grooved on a taper to accept a
standard Bit.
I am tempted to bead blast it, but don't know if that would ruin any
value it may have to a collector.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/100_0291.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/100_0292.jpg

Could be older than you think.
Known by various names but bit brace wrench is fairly generic.
Check out US patent 275341 @ http://tinyurl.com/6crye4

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The brace has been on a long journey for a long time. I would take it
apart, soak off the rust in vinegar and beadblast as necessary to make
it look nice.

Bob AZ

Maybe so. Vinegar is great for stuff like this, but probably hard on the
wood.
BTW, Vinegar or any other acid process is a bad idea for anything
structural, like automobile suspension. "Hydrogen Embrittlement" can allow
the remaining steel to snap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:16:45 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

Anyone know who might have made this Brace and when? I can find no markings,
and guess about 100 years old. The jaws threaded rods use a reverse thread
on one side for easy clamping, pre-rust. I have seen a "Brace wrench"
before, but these jaws are grooved on a taper to accept a standard Bit.
I am tempted to bead blast it, but don't know if that would ruin any value
it may have to a collector.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/100_0291.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/100_0292.jpg

I have certainly seen braces with standard screw chucks that were more
then 100 years old so I'd say your's is either older then that or
designed for some special purpose.

I'll give you one piece of advise though. "Get that greasy old piece
of junk off that clean table cloth!" :-(

*

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've GOT braces that are more than 100 years old with screw chucks.
Before screw chucks, they used a tapered square hole in the brace to
fit the bit end. I've never seen one like that. My vote is a one-off
by a village blacksmith, a low-production patented item or a specialty
tool. Interesting item. Clean it carefully and see if there are any
patent or makers marks on it. Time for the old oil and fine steel
wool treatment.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I found an 1878 patent date after bead blasting.
I don't collect woodworking tools, so its now on Ebay. Check out the detail
pic of the jaws. pretty neat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

the probability is that the bead blasting cost you 80% of its value, but the
final results on the auction will reveal if that is true.

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
I found an 1878 patent date after bead blasting.
I don't collect woodworking tools, so its now on Ebay. Check out the
detail pic of the jaws. pretty neat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

the probability is that the bead blasting cost you 80% of its value, but
the final results on the auction will reveal if that is true.

That's why I asked that question on a few forums recieving no real answers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:27:41 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

I found an 1878 patent date after bead blasting.
I don't collect woodworking tools, so its now on Ebay. Check out the detail
pic of the jaws. pretty neat.

Here is one of the patents concerning this item (for May 18,
1880; patent number 227686):

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=227686

and I think this is the earlier patent (for Dec 10, 1878;
patent number 210684):

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=210684

Let me know if this bit of info makes your item have a
greater value

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote:

the probability is that the bead blasting cost you 80% of its value, but
the final results on the auction will reveal if that is true.

That's why I asked that question on a few forums recieving no real answers

I would have agreed with Bill until after the OP blasted it and
discovered some dates that he hadn't seen before.

Since the auction just ended & it went for $333.00, I think the OP
probably made some money by blasting it.

Nice sale.

Jim

Screwdriver bits for brace Tim W Woodworking 44 February 25th 21 02:31 AM
Homemade brace question scouter3 Woodworking 16 March 20th 07 11:43 AM
2101 brace, my first AAvK Woodworking 2 May 16th 05 09:52 AM
Using an old brace as a wrench? AAvK Woodworking 23 February 3rd 05 06:35 PM
Cutting a curved brace Woodworking 5 October 15th 03 08:01 PM