Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Safe way to remove branches around power transformer?

I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the power line going from the transformer to the house. What are the safety considerations in removing these branches myself? If I'm up in the tree with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is there still an electrocution hazard?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2014 9:13 AM, Doc Savage wrote:

snip
Thanks

In my area it's as simple as a call to the utility company. They will
trim any branches near or touching their lines...at NO charge.

Also, in my community, if trimming a tree could possibly cause damage or
a safety problem, they will come out and disconnect your power wires
and reconnected them within an hour of your job completion...

all at NO charge.

So call them first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2014 10:13 AM, Doc Savage wrote:
I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the power line going from the transformer to the house.
What are the safety considerations in removing these branches myself?

Instant death.

If I'm up in the tree with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is there still an electrocution hazard?

Yes

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2014 10:13 AM, Doc Savage wrote:
I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the power line going from the transformer to the house. What are the safety considerations in removing these branches myself? If I'm up in the tree with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is there still an electrocution hazard?

Thanks

Typically, the power lines belong to the utility right up to the point
where they enter your home and they are responsible for maintaining them up
to that point. Call the utility.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doc Savage" wrote in message

I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the power
line going
from the transformer to the house. What are the safety considerations in
removing
these branches myself? If I'm up in the tree with a pole saw and don't
contact the
lines is there still an electrocution hazard?

In most places, tree trimming companies offer free estimates.
The problem for gardeners is that lack of experience means
we cannot foresee accurately which way cut branches will fall
(levered by other branches etc.) Secondly, if we get into
trouble, we do not often have all the equipment (wedges,
pulleys etc.) that solve the problem safely. I have trimmed my
own trees for 30 years but I cut only from ground level (never
from a ladder) because I have never been trained in climbing.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doc Savage wrote:
I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the power line going from the transformer to the house. What are the safety considerations in removing these branches myself? If I'm up in the tree with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is there still an electrocution hazard?

Thanks
Hi,

Call your power co. they'll come out and take care of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote in :

On 6/21/2014 9:13 AM, Doc Savage wrote:

snip

[snip partially restored]
power line going from the transformer to the house

In my area it's as simple as a call to the utility company. They will
trim any branches near or touching their lines...at NO charge.

Since this does *not* involve branches near or touching the power company's lines, it's
unlikely that they would do it at all, let alone free of charge.

Also, in my community, if trimming a tree could possibly cause damage or
a safety problem, they will come out and disconnect your power wires
and reconnected them within an hour of your job completion...

all at NO charge.

That advice is a bit more practical...

So call them first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
philo wrote in :

On 6/21/2014 9:13 AM, Doc Savage wrote:

snip

[snip partially restored]
power line going from the transformer to the house

In my area it's as simple as a call to the utility company. They will
trim any branches near or touching their lines...at NO charge.

Since this does *not* involve branches near or touching the power
company's lines, it's
unlikely that they would do it at all, let alone free of charge.

the power line from the transformer to your house is the utility company's
property and responsibility.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 10:30:20 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Doc Savage wrote:
I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the power line going from the transformer to the house. What are the safety considerations in removing these branches myself? If I'm up in the tree with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is there still an electrocution hazard?

Thanks
Hi,

Call your power co. they'll come out and take care of it.

Maybe. If the lines are his, the power company usually won't touch
them.

Worth a call to be sure though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2014 10:13 AM, Doc Savage wrote:
I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the power line going from the transformer to the house. What are the safety considerations in removing these branches myself? If I'm up in the tree with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is there still an electrocution hazard?

Thanks

Do *NOT* try this at home kids but here is what I did (I'm sort of a professional):

I had a tree that needed trimming along the primary lines that pass over my yard but it was too expensive to have it removed by a tree service.
So I took advantage of the annual summer storm that knocked out neighborhood power for 3 days and dropped the tree while the lines were dead.
As you might imagine, the falling tree snapped the primary as it fell.
Anyway, two days later, thinking that it was storm damage, the power company put the line back up free of charge.

My neighbour thinks I'm a bit crazy but he's glad the tree is gone so he kept his mouth shut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2014 10:13 AM, Doc Savage wrote:
I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the power line going from the transformer to the house. What are the safety considerations in removing these branches myself? If I'm up in the tree with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is there still an electrocution hazard?

Thanks

Power company may or may not do the pruning themselves.
That would be the first call I would make.
I've got an old pole pruner with a wooden handle and feel I could safely
handle it around the 220 volt line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Call your power co. they'll come out and take care of it.

Not everywhe
1. Most utility companies trim trees only along public roads.
Trees between the public right of way and your house are
your responsibility and your cost.
2. Some utilities have found it cheaper to outsource
tree trimming to other companies. This usually delays
the task.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 6/21/2014 10:13 AM, Doc Savage wrote:
I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the
power line going from the transformer to the house. What are the
safety considerations in removing these branches myself? If I'm up
in the tree with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is there
still an electrocution hazard? Thanks

Power company may or may not do the pruning themselves.
That would be the first call I would make.
I've got an old pole pruner with a wooden handle and feel I could
safely handle it around the 220 volt line.

The power lines coming to my house are 2 insulated hot lines wrapped around an
uninsulated supporting ground line. Unless the insulation is worn away,
reasonable care should keep you perfectly safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
philo wrote in
:

On 6/21/2014 9:13 AM, Doc Savage wrote:

snip

[snip partially restored]
power line going from the transformer to the house

In my area it's as simple as a call to the utility
company. They will
trim any branches near or touching their lines...at NO
charge.

Since this does *not* involve branches near or touching
the power
company's lines, it's unlikely that they would do it at
all, let
alone free of charge.

here in NTX, they have crews that go around a trim anything
within 10 ft of the power lines

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 9:13:15 AM UTC-5, Doc Savage wrote:
I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on
the power line going from the transformer to the house. What
are the safety considerations in removing these branches
myself? If I'm up in the tree with a pole saw and don't
contact the lines is there still an electrocution hazard?

You don't want to get anywhere near that transformer. At the transformer there is high voltage and instant death. The line from the transformer to the house is only 240V. You can probably trim around that line without killing yourself if you are careful. Avoid using an aluminum ladder. Avoid touching the line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Call your power co. they'll come out and take care of it.

Not everywhe
1. Most utility companies trim trees only along public roads.
Trees between the public right of way and your house are
your responsibility and your cost.

I needed to repair some siding on my house. I called the utility to have
them drop the line since it was attached to the house in the area where I
would be working. First they cut it at the pole with a tree trimmer then
they cut it at the top of my house to give me room to work. After the line
had been dropped, the gentleman from the power company used the same pole
mounted tree trimmer that he used to cut the lines at the pole to trim the
trees from the pole (i.e. the public right of way) to my house so that when
they put it back up it would be clear.

2. Some utilities have found it cheaper to outsource
tree trimming to other companies. This usually delays
the task.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BenignBodger wrote:
On 6/21/2014 10:13 AM, Doc Savage wrote:
I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the power
line going from the transformer to the house. What are the safety
considerations in removing these branches myself? If I'm up in the tree
with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is there still an electrocution hazard?

Thanks

Typically, the power lines belong to the utility right up to the point
where they enter your home and they are responsible for maintaining them
up to that point. Call the utility.

Not so. It depends on how the lines are run. For example, at my house, they
are responsible for the wires up until the point that they attach to the
bugs that connect their wires to the wires that go into a weather proof box
at the top of my house. The service wire from the box down to the meter and
then from the meter, around the side and back of the house and _then_ into
the house are my responsibility.

I'd estimate there is more of my wire from the top of the house to my panel
than there is from the pole to the top of my house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doc Savage wrote:

I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the
power line going from the transformer to the house. What are the
safety considerations in removing these branches myself? If I'm
up in the tree with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is
there still an electrocution hazard?

Unlike everyone else that has responded to this thread, I will now
provide you with the most useful and actionable answer to your question
that you will ever receive:

Since you are in Orlando FL:

===============================

http://www.ouc.com/customer-support/...-tree-trimming

If you notice a tree interfering with power lines, please call us
immediately at 407-423-9018 in Orlando/ Orange County or 407-957-7373 in
St. Cloud/Osceola County.

We trim only those trees on our easements and rights- of-way or trees
endangering our power lines and equipment. This may include removal of
invasive tree species of less than six inches in diameter that endanger
our facilities.

If you notice a tree interfering with power lines, please call us
immediately at 407-423-9018 in Orlando/Orange County or 407-957-7373 in
St. Cloud/Osceola County.

Never attempt to trim a tree near electrical wires yourself.

As a further service - and at no cost to you - OUC will trim trees that
encroach on the service entrance cable to your home. If you'd like us to
perform this work, please call so that we can schedule this service
while we are in your neighborhood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2014 9:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
BenignBodger wrote:
[...]

And are you having troubles with tree branches potentially damaging the
wires that are actually in/on your house? Didn't think so. Is the OP? No he
is complaining about branches out in his yard. The utility will almost
invariably be responsible for the wires up to the point where they first
attach to the house -- the mast and weather head or whatever other approved
entry method is used. It is unwise for the clueless to mess with
potentially dangerous situations, especially when somebody else has the job
of doing the dangerous stuff for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

BenignBodger wrote:
[...]

I never said I was. I was simply responding to your claim that "Typically,
the power lines belong to the utility right up to the point _where they
enter your home_." I do not believe that to be "typical" - and you are
about to agree with me.

Didn't think so. Is the OP? No he is complaining about branches out in
his yard. The utility will almost invariably
be responsible for the wires up to the point where they first attach to
the house -- the mast and weather head
or whatever other approved entry method is used.

That is not what you said earlier. You originally said "up to the point
where they enter your home". That can be, and usually is, very different
than "up to the point where they first attach to the house".

You are pushing back on my comments after changing your statements to
exactly match mine. That's a very strange debate technique.

It is unwise for the clueless to mess with potentially dangerous
situations, especially when somebody else has
the job of doing the dangerous stuff for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BenignBodger wrote:
[...]

I had not realized that we were engaged in a 'debate' as such. Perhaps I
should have stated my original answer more pedantically taking into account
every possible permutation of utility connection but I still believe that
most people would understand the gist of my original answer which is that
the wires aren't yours until they get to the house. The answer still is
'don't mess with the wires where they run through the trees -- get the
utility company to do their job'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

BenignBodger wrote:
[...]

Again, "until they get to the house" as opposed to "the point where they
_enter_ the house" is very different. In terms of who is responsible for
what and what that means to the homeowner, that difference is huge. It
would have been OK for you to say that you were wrong instead of claiming
most people knew what you meant, but the reason you didn't do that is a not
a home-repair related discussion.

Keep in mind that the OP didn't appear to know that the utility is
responsible for the trimming of trees near their wires in the first place,
so any response related to that issue is new information to him. For that
reason, he would not be included in the "most people know what I meant"
group. It is our responsibility to be as accurate as possible with
information related to his issue so as not to lead him astray. My response
to your post was to simply set the record straight as to where the utility
company's responsibility "typically" ends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In my area the utility will trim trees that they perceive as a risk to their lines.

That is not the same as trees that I perceive as a risk to their lines. I would have liked much more clearance but they declined.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Doc Savage wrote:
I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the power line going from the transformer to the house. What are the safety considerations in removing these branches myself? If I'm up in the tree with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is there still an electrocution hazard?

Thanks
Hi,

Call your power co. they'll come out and take care of it.

Maybe. If the lines are his, the power company usually won't touch
them.

Worth a call to be sure though.

Hi,
Our power co. is wholly city owned. They are quite friendly.
Any how my neighborhood has all the wires. cables under ground.
(Phone, power, internet cable) Street light pole power lines are also
under ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
In my area the utility will trim trees that they perceive as a risk to their lines.

That is not the same as trees that I perceive as a risk to their lines.
I would have liked much more clearance but they declined.

Did you want something like this? ;-)

http://saveourliveoaks.com/images/Tr...nd%20wires.jpg

They did this to a huge pine tree at the end of my street. Since it is the
only tree on the corner lot, removing it completely would have removed any
"privacy" that the homeowner had, leaving her with a wide open lot. From
her yard, it still looks like a "normal" tree, but from up the street
where I live, the U is as visible as the one in the picture.