Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Tavo Tony Tavo is offline

Default Safe way to remove branches around power transformer?

On 06/21/2014 10:13 AM, Doc Savage wrote:
I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the power line going from the transformer to the house. What are the safety considerations in removing these branches myself? If I'm up in the tree with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is there still an electrocution hazard?

Thanks

Do *NOT* try this at home kids but here is what I did (I'm sort of a professional):

I had a tree that needed trimming along the primary lines that pass over my yard but it was too expensive to have it removed by a tree service.
So I took advantage of the annual summer storm that knocked out neighborhood power for 3 days and dropped the tree while the lines were dead.
As you might imagine, the falling tree snapped the primary as it fell.
Anyway, two days later, thinking that it was storm damage, the power company put the line back up free of charge.

My neighbour thinks I'm a bit crazy but he's glad the tree is gone so he kept his mouth shut.