Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Safe way to remove branches around power transformer?

BenignBodger wrote:
On 6/21/2014 10:13 AM, Doc Savage wrote:
I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the power
line going from the transformer to the house. What are the safety
considerations in removing these branches myself? If I'm up in the tree
with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is there still an electrocution hazard?

Thanks

Typically, the power lines belong to the utility right up to the point
where they enter your home and they are responsible for maintaining them
up to that point. Call the utility.

Not so. It depends on how the lines are run. For example, at my house, they
are responsible for the wires up until the point that they attach to the
bugs that connect their wires to the wires that go into a weather proof box
at the top of my house. The service wire from the box down to the meter and
then from the meter, around the side and back of the house and _then_ into
the house are my responsibility.

I'd estimate there is more of my wire from the top of the house to my panel
than there is from the pole to the top of my house.