Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Safe way to remove branches around power transformer?

Frank wrote:
On 6/21/2014 10:13 AM, Doc Savage wrote:
I have a tree with branches that are beginning to impinge on the
power line going from the transformer to the house. What are the
safety considerations in removing these branches myself? If I'm up
in the tree with a pole saw and don't contact the lines is there
still an electrocution hazard? Thanks

Power company may or may not do the pruning themselves.
That would be the first call I would make.
I've got an old pole pruner with a wooden handle and feel I could
safely handle it around the 220 volt line.

The power lines coming to my house are 2 insulated hot lines wrapped around an
uninsulated supporting ground line. Unless the insulation is worn away,
reasonable care should keep you perfectly safe.