Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Chipped car keys and magnets?

I have a question. I'd like to put a chipped programmed Nissan Versa
door/ignition key in one of those magnetic key containers somewhere
accessible from the outside of the car in case I lose or mislay the fob and
other key.

My question: Will the magnet damage the key and cause the programming to
not work properly?

Anyone know? Found out the hard way? The $100+ key is too exdpensive to
experiment with.

TIA

--
"Things would be a lot nicer if antique people were valued
as highly as antique furniture!" Anon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2014 12:29 PM, KenK wrote:
I have a question. I'd like to put a chipped programmed Nissan Versa
door/ignition key in one of those magnetic key containers somewhere
accessible from the outside of the car in case I lose or mislay the fob and
other key.

My question: Will the magnet damage the key and cause the programming to
not work properly?

Anyone know? Found out the hard way? The $100+ key is too exdpensive to
experiment with.

TIA

I phoned a car lock and key locksmith, and ask.
he says probably not. It's "just a chip" and
doesn't store any data on the key.

Magnets and the computer inside the vehicle,
don't do that.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Jun 2014 16:29:44 GMT, KenK wrote:

I have a question. I'd like to put a chipped programmed Nissan Versa
door/ignition key in one of those magnetic key containers somewhere
accessible from the outside of the car in case I lose or mislay the fob and
other key.

My question: Will the magnet damage the key and cause the programming to
not work properly?

Anyone know? Found out the hard way? The $100+ key is too exdpensive to
experiment with.

TIA

Related question for you to consider: Do the plastic magnetic car key
holders hold to the car as well as the metal magnetic car key holders?

They both have a metal magnet of course, but some have a plastic box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

the magnet won't bother it but a better idea is to hide the expensive extra chipped key inside the car or inside the trunk and put an ordinary key in the magnet box.

You can use the ordinary key to unlock the car/trunk and use then use the chipped key to start the car.

Just don't forget where you hid it.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

On 20 Jun 2014 16:29:44 GMT, KenK wrote:

I have a question. I'd like to put a chipped programmed Nissan Versa
door/ignition key in one of those magnetic key containers somewhere
accessible from the outside of the car in case I lose or mislay the
fob and other key.

My question: Will the magnet damage the key and cause the programming
to not work properly?

Anyone know? Found out the hard way? The $100+ key is too exdpensive
to experiment with.

TIA

Related question for you to consider: Do the plastic magnetic car
key holders hold to the car as well as the metal magnetic car key
holders?

They both have a metal magnet of course, but some have a plastic box.

Hmmm. I don't know but I wouldn't think it would make any difference. The
strength of the magnet I should think would be all that matters.

--
"Things would be a lot nicer if antique people were valued
as highly as antique furniture!" Anon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message

I have a question. I'd like to put a chipped programmed Nissan Versa
door/ignition key in one of those magnetic key containers somewhere
accessible from the outside of the car in case I lose or mislay the fob
and
other key.

My question: Will the magnet damage the key and cause the programming to
not work properly?

Did Nissan actually refuse to tell you when you asked?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I have a question. I'd like to put a chipped programmed Nissan Versa
door/ignition key in one of those magnetic key containers somewhere
accessible from the outside of the car in case I lose or mislay the
fob and other key.

My question: Will the magnet damage the key and cause the programming
to not work properly?

Anyone know? Found out the hard way? The $100+ key is too expensive
to experiment with.

I don't know the answer, but I would be concerned about placing it next to
any magnet.

Plus, the person who suggested just hiding a spare regular key to get into
the vehicle manually had a good idea. That would prevent the expensive the
fob from being next to the magnet and out in the elements. Keep the spare
fob elsewhere -- at home, at work, or somewhere inside the vehicle (my vote
would be someone NOT inside the vehicle).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 20, 2014 10:38:18 AM UTC-7, wrote:
the magnet won't bother it but a better idea is to hide the expensive extra chipped key inside the car or inside the trunk and put an ordinary key in the magnet box.

You can use the ordinary key to unlock the car/trunk and use then use the chipped key to start the car.

Just don't forget where you hid it.

You don't need to hide the door key. Put it on your key chain.

"Hiding" car keys almost never works. The crooks know all the angles.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Jun 2014 17:46:21 GMT, KenK wrote:

micky wrote in
:

[...]

I had in mind something like the task performed by a reflector in a tv
antenna, a nearby piece of metal (on the antenn) that makes the antenna
work better. Magnetic waves are a lot like radio waves. i'm pretty
sure a metal holder would be better, and the first time I saw a plastic
one, I was afriad they didn't make metal anymore. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:28:22 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On Friday, June 20, 2014 10:38:18 AM UTC-7, wrote:
the magnet won't bother it but a better idea is to hide the expensive extra chipped key inside the car or inside the trunk and put an ordinary key in the magnet box.

You can use the ordinary key to unlock the car/trunk and use then use the chipped key to start the car.

Just don't forget where you hid it.

You don't need to hide the door key. Put it on your key chain.

This plan is in case one loses his key chain.

One time when I was going tubing, I took off my pants and through them
in the trunk, complete with my keys. A similar situation.

"Hiding" car keys almost never works. The crooks know all the angles.

But at the same time, if it's too hard to break into one car, they go to
the next one.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2014 3:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

You don't need to hide the door key. Put it on your key chain.

"Hiding" car keys almost never works. The crooks know all the angles.

HB

Don't lock the car. Locking it keeps out a couple of 10 year olds and
invites damage. The pro will get you car if he wants it.

Had my cars broken into a couple of times and total loss was a quart of
oil in the back seat. Locked cars had broken windows, pry marks, etc.
I had no damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The magnet should not have any effect on the chip in the key. But, I think Mark's suggestion about putting the chipped key somewhere inside the car and just putting an unchipped key in the hidden outside key holder is best, it is what I have done, so far haven't needed it, but...........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 20, 2014 11:52:20 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The magnet should not have any effect on the chip in the key. But, I think Mark's suggestion about putting the chipped key somewhere inside the car and just putting an unchipped key in the hidden outside key holder is best, it is what I have done, so far haven't needed it, but...........

or you can bypass the chipped key and just use a regular key. you tube has videos on bypass

Incidently chipped keys are sold at wallmart for a fraction of the dealer cost.

wallmart 2001 chevy venture key 35 bucks

chevy dealer 85 bucks
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
On 20 Jun 2014 16:29:44 GMT, KenK wrote:

I have a question. I'd like to put a chipped programmed Nissan Versa
door/ignition key in one of those magnetic key containers somewhere
accessible from the outside of the car in case I lose or mislay the fob and
other key.

My question: Will the magnet damage the key and cause the programming to
not work properly?

Anyone know? Found out the hard way? The $100+ key is too exdpensive to
experiment with.

TIA

Related question for you to consider: Do the plastic magnetic car key
holders hold to the car as well as the metal magnetic car key holders?

They both have a metal magnet of course, but some have a plastic box.

I have a plastic holder unused. The magnet seems strong. I've seen some
metal holders with poor performance. Sometimes I tape a key to underside
wiring with black tape. Reminds me to check where I put that.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I have a question. I'd like to put a chipped programmed Nissan Versa
door/ignition key in one of those magnetic key containers somewhere
accessible from the outside of the car in case I lose or mislay the fob and
other key.

My question: Will the magnet damage the key and cause the programming to
not work properly?

Anyone know? Found out the hard way? The $100+ key is too exdpensive to
experiment with.

TIA

If you swipe the key past the magnet, really really fast, it might induce a
spike enough to kill.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
KenK wrote:

They both have a metal magnet of course, but some have a plastic box.

Hmmm. I don't know but I wouldn't think it would make any difference. The
strength of the magnet I should think would be all that matters.

That and the glue that keeps the magnet on the box. Of course that
woudl also hold true either way.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in news:lo202i$v9q$1
@news.albasani.net:

"KenK" wrote in message

I have a question. I'd like to put a chipped programmed Nissan Versa
door/ignition key in one of those magnetic key containers somewhere
accessible from the outside of the car in case I lose or mislay the

fob
and
other key.

My question: Will the magnet damage the key and cause the programming

not work properly?

Did Nissan actually refuse to tell you when you asked?

I asked someone at the local dealership and haven't heard back from him.
I emailed NissanUSA and haven't gotten a response yet.

--
"Things would be a lot nicer if antique people were valued
as highly as antique furniture!" Anon

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

The magnet should not have any effect on the chip in the key. But, I
think Mark's suggestion about putting the chipped key somewhere inside
the car and just putting an unchipped key in the hidden outside key
holder is best, it is what I have done, so far haven't needed it,
but...........

An unchipped key will work on the door? A lock shop has the blank and can
cut a copy of the ignition/door key without the chip portion? Evidently
from what I've read here both answers are yes.

--
"Things would be a lot nicer if antique people were valued
as highly as antique furniture!" Anon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Jun 2014 17:35:08 GMT, KenK wrote:

" wrote in
:

The magnet should not have any effect on the chip in the key. But, I
think Mark's suggestion about putting the chipped key somewhere inside
the car and just putting an unchipped key in the hidden outside key
holder is best, it is what I have done, so far haven't needed it,
but...........

An unchipped key will work on the door? A lock shop has the blank and can
cut a copy of the ignition/door key without the chip portion? Evidently
from what I've read here both answers are yes.

The chip is for starting the car. Has nothing to do with the door
locks. The key will be much cheaper too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 08:50:15 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
KenK wrote:

They both have a metal magnet of course, but some have a plastic box.

Hmmm. I don't know but I wouldn't think it would make any difference. The
strength of the magnet I should think would be all that matters.

That and the glue that keeps the magnet on the box. Of course that
woudl also hold true either way.

Well, I just started a thread in sci.electronics.repair and sci.physics
with my question. No answers yet, but I've wondered about this for
years and your two answers arent' phrased very strongly, so we'll see
what they have to say.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 20:52:20 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

The magnet should not have any effect on the chip in the key. But, I think Mark's suggestion about putting the chipped key somewhere inside the car and just putting an unchipped key in the hidden outside key holder is best, it is what I have done, so far haven't needed it, but...........

I would fefinitely secong that. If anyone finds the "hidden" access
key they still cannot steal your car - untill they find the hidden
chip-key inside the car - which they don't know is even ther, muchless
where.

And if the key-safe falls off you have lost a $3 key, not an $80 one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 04:10:52 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

KenK wrote:
I have a question. I'd like to put a chipped programmed Nissan Versa
door/ignition key in one of those magnetic key containers somewhere
accessible from the outside of the car in case I lose or mislay the fob and
other key.

My question: Will the magnet damage the key and cause the programming to
not work properly?

Anyone know? Found out the hard way? The $100+ key is too exdpensive to
experiment with.

TIA

If you swipe the key past the magnet, really really fast, it might induce a
spike enough to kill.

Greg

Haw fast can you swipe it past? Speed of sound? Speed of light?
Anything much less will NOT be a problem
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Jun 2014 17:35:08 GMT, KenK wrote:

" wrote in
:

The magnet should not have any effect on the chip in the key. But, I
think Mark's suggestion about putting the chipped key somewhere inside
the car and just putting an unchipped key in the hidden outside key
holder is best, it is what I have done, so far haven't needed it,
but...........

An unchipped key will work on the door? A lock shop has the blank and can
cut a copy of the ignition/door key without the chip portion? Evidently
from what I've read here both answers are yes.

A definite yes on both
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote in news:XnsA3536B1567E11invalidcom@
130.133.4.11:

Did Nissan actually refuse to tell you when you asked?

I asked someone at the local dealership and haven't heard back from him.
I emailed NissanUSA and haven't gotten a response yet.

I heard from NissanUSA. Answer worthless - concerned the Nissan
'Intelligent Key system' which I carefully stated I didn't have in my
query. sigh Evidently question answerers not quite as intelligent as the
key.

Local dealership guy emailed he'd get back to me this afternoon. We will
see.

Chipped Bath xavier UK diy 13 October 4th 17 06:10 PM
New site for Nod32 keys and kaspersky keys [email protected] UK diy 6 August 2nd 14 12:58 PM
chipped TV screen Howie Home Repair 14 January 3rd 08 07:26 PM
chipped TV screen Howitzer17 Electronics 2 January 3rd 08 01:01 AM
I've chipped the sink MikeR UK diy 13 June 7th 05 07:32 PM