MikeR

Default I've chipped the sink

Help! I dropped a screw driver into the brand new sink and put a small
chip in the basin. The wife is going mad. Is there an invisible repair
I can do?

Thanks

Mike

andrewpreece

"MikeR" wrote in message
ups.com...
Help! I dropped a screw driver into the brand new sink and put a small
chip in the basin. The wife is going mad. Is there an invisible repair
I can do?

Thanks

Mike

Do they sell repair kits? If not I imagine the best approach would be the
resin
used for glassfibre, the gelcoat stuff. That can be coloured in a variety of
different ways AFAIK. The snk'll need to be dry though,

Andy.

The Natural Philosopher

MikeR wrote:
Help! I dropped a screw driver into the brand new sink and put a small
chip in the basin. The wife is going mad. Is there an invisible repair
I can do?

Thanks

Mike

Try white 'Milliput'.

Use acetone to clean up any dross before it sets hard..
Fergie

"MikeR" wrote:

Help! I dropped a screw driver into the brand new sink and put a small
chip in the basin. The wife is going mad. Is there an invisible repair
I can do?

Lift up the patio, dig a big hole, put wife in hole, relay patio
making sure slabs are level, get new wife that won't moan about sink.

HTH

Mike

"MikeR" wrote in message
ups.com...
Help! I dropped a screw driver into the brand new sink and put a small
chip in the basin. The wife is going mad. Is there an invisible repair
I can do?

Plastic bag over the head doesn't leave any marks :-)

MM

On 4 Jun 2005 06:40:25 -0700, "MikeR" wrote:

Help! I dropped a screw driver into the brand new sink and put a small
chip in the basin. The wife is going mad. Is there an invisible repair
I can do?

I assume it's a Butler type one. I bought one from IKEA for my last
property. It was very smart and dead easy to clean, but I was always
very careful not to put heavy objects anywhere near it, even large
bowls, as the wall thickness around the plughole was not very great.

However, the sink was only around £60. I would just bite the bullet,
buy another new one, put the chipped one out into the garden as a bird
bath, pond, or unconventional flower pot, then carry on looking
forward to great service from the missus for the foreseeable future.
Saving £60 is not worth ruining a marriage, and the repair will always
be an awful reminder to your other half of what happened on that
terrible day when hubby dropped a screwdriver and broke her dream
sink, and you did admit to it being your fault! £60 is only a couple
of fillings at the petrol station, and not even one filling at a
dentist's.

MM
The Natural Philosopher

MM wrote:

[...]

Dental fillings that look like white porcelain is good way to fix the
chip as well.

Ask yer dentistr.

MM

MM

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 19:09:04 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , "MM"
says...
On 4 Jun 2005 06:40:25 -0700, "MikeR" wrote:

Help! I dropped a screw driver into the brand new sink and put a small
chip in the basin. The wife is going mad. Is there an invisible repair
I can do?

I assume it's a Butler type one. I bought one from IKEA for my last
property. It was very smart and dead easy to clean, but I was always
very careful not to put heavy objects anywhere near it, even large
bowls, as the wall thickness around the plughole was not very great.

Seems a good idea to leave a mat in it then.

Oh no! A mat would totally destroy the feng suey. I suppose you mean a
*plastic* mat?!!!

MM
MM

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 03:20:07 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

MM wrote:

[...]

Maybe the chip could serve as a constant reminder for maintaining good
dental hygiene. Any of the kids refusing yet again to clean his or her
teeth could be dragged to the sink and shown the chip. "Look, Janet!
Look, John!"

MM

Set Square

MikeR wrote:
Help! I dropped a screw driver into the brand new sink and put a
small chip in the basin. The wife is going mad. Is there an
invisible repair I can do?

Thanks

Mike

Try white 'Milliput'.

Use acetone to clean up any dross before it sets hard..

I have a bidet in which the glaze has come off around the waste fitting -
leaving a rather unattractive brown ring. Would Milliput be any good on
that - and would I need to remove the waste before applying it?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Ian_m

MikeR wrote:
Help! I dropped a screw driver into the brand new sink and put a small
chip in the basin. The wife is going mad. Is there an invisible repair
I can do?

Thanks

Mike

Try white 'Milliput'.

When snagging our new house 5 years ago we spotted two of the upstairs sinks
had substantial chips in and asked for them to be replaced. Well one was (as
chip was on edge of bowl) but we now know the other (chip behind tap) was
filled with some enamel type stuff as it has gone slightly yellow and shows
up quite clearly.

The Natural Philosopher

MikeR wrote:

Help! I dropped a screw driver into the brand new sink and put a
small chip in the basin. The wife is going mad. Is there an
invisible repair I can do?

Thanks

Mike

Try white 'Milliput'.

Use acetone to clean up any dross before it sets hard..

I have a bidet in which the glaze has come off around the waste fitting -
leaving a rather unattractive brown ring. Would Milliput be any good on
that - and would I need to remove the waste before applying it?

I dunno. Try a bit underneath and see if it matches.

Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
Bathroom - Fitting a new sink & wc Nodge UK diy 0 September 21st 04 02:02 PM
Single sink for sale PoP UK diy 0 March 4th 04 04:54 PM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM
Kitchen Double Sink Suds Problem Robert Home Repair 3 September 7th 03 01:25 PM