Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT Chipped car keys and magnets?

On 20 Jun 2014 17:46:21 GMT, KenK wrote:

micky wrote in
:

On 20 Jun 2014 16:29:44 GMT, KenK wrote:

I have a question. I'd like to put a chipped programmed Nissan Versa
door/ignition key in one of those magnetic key containers somewhere
accessible from the outside of the car in case I lose or mislay the
fob and other key.

My question: Will the magnet damage the key and cause the programming
to not work properly?

Anyone know? Found out the hard way? The $100+ key is too exdpensive
to experiment with.

TIA

Related question for you to consider: Do the plastic magnetic car
key holders hold to the car as well as the metal magnetic car key
holders?

They both have a metal magnet of course, but some have a plastic box.

Hmmm. I don't know but I wouldn't think it would make any difference. The
strength of the magnet I should think would be all that matters.

I had in mind something like the task performed by a reflector in a tv
antenna, a nearby piece of metal (on the antenn) that makes the antenna
work better. Magnetic waves are a lot like radio waves. i'm pretty
sure a metal holder would be better, and the first time I saw a plastic
one, I was afriad they didn't make metal anymore. .