xavier

Default Chipped Bath

Two months ago I installed a bath made by a company called Victoria &
Albert. They say it's made from a material called 'Quarrycast' which
will be their own composition of course. For all the world it's like
a thick plastic.

Yesterday, a double glazed unit fell on it (don't ask) and it's made a
chip in it about 50mm x 25mm. I have the majority of the chip that
fell out but around the edges, it shattered and if I just replaced the
chip it would obviously show.

Now, the insurance company are quite willing to replace the bath but
the cost of it will be in the region of 2k (bath 1250 plus fitting)
and this seems to us to be immoral if we could get it repaired
satisfactorily.

I phoned the insurance company (NIG skandia) and they gave me the
number of a bath repair firm. Trouble is, the number isn't
recognised!

Does anyone know of a company that repairs baths to a high standard?
I don't particularly want to attempt it myself even though NIG say
that if the repair didn't work, they would stil replace the bath. If
it has to be a diy job, can anyone recommend a product that they have
experience of?

Regards

Xav
Alex

Plumbase do a bath repair kit ,have used it on acrylic and steel on 3
occasions and it seems to work fine,I would recommend practise first.

Why do you need to replace the fittings that are only two months old.

TonyK

"xavier" wrote in message
om...
[...]

This is the one time I'd say sod DIY. Get it replaced, thats what insurance
is for!

Alex \(YMG\)

"Alex" wrote in message
Plumbase do a bath repair kit ,have used it on acrylic and steel on 3
occasions and it seems to work fine,I would recommend practise first.

Why do you need to replace the fittings that are only two months old.

He specifically states that he'd rather not replace the bath??

Alex (another one)

xavier

"Alex" wrote in message ...
Plumbase do a bath repair kit ,have used it on acrylic and steel on 3
occasions and it seems to work fine,I would recommend practise first.

Why do you need to replace the fittings that are only two months old.

Yes, I've seen them advertise all over the Internet. When you've put
it in the gap or crack or whatever, can you sand it when it's gone off
or do you have to get it smooth first time? I seem to remember
reading somewhere that sellotape was recommended to get the profile
correct. Did you do anything like this?

We don't/are'nt intending replacing the fittings. Actually, the only
one on the bath is the waste (which costs 110 dumps), the taps are on
pillars at the side of the bath.

xavier

"TonyK" wrote in message ...
"xavier" wrote in message
om...
Two months ago I installed a bath made by a company called Victoria &
snip
Xav

This is the one time I'd say sod DIY. Get it replaced, thats what insurance
is for!

You could be right. The insurance company say if we try a repair and
it isn't completely satisfactory, they'll replace the bath anyway.
Nothing to lose really except all the hassle of replacing a 90kilo
bath!

xav
xavier

"Alex" wrote in message ...
Plumbase do a bath repair kit ,have used it on acrylic and steel on 3
occasions and it seems to work fine,I would recommend practise first.

Why do you need to replace the fittings that are only two months old.

I posted a reply to this but it doesn't seem to have got through.

This stuff that Plumbase do; can it be sanded after it's set or do
you have to get it right before it hardens? Like I said, we would
rather not replace the bath if we can help it but of course with a
bath that costs this much, we want it to look right )

I wasn't intending on replacing the fittings, the only one on the bath
is the waste (which also costs a lotta dumps) and the taps are on
pillars to the rear.

Cheers

xav
Pete C

On 18 Nov 2004 04:56:18 -0800, (xavier) wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Try this company:

http://www.the-plastic-surgeon.co.uk/tps/index.htm

Or try the manufacturer, though they may have a vested interest in
replacing it.

May be possible to sand/file some material off from the underside to
get powdered plastic, and either make a filler with clear epoxy or
carefully fuse it into the scratch with a flameless lighter.
Definitely worth practicing on the underside first though!

cheers,
Pete.
Alex

The product comes with full instructions and a small piece of wet and dry
paper,and a small areosol can of paint for finishing with

raden

In message , xavier
writes
Two months ago I installed a bath made by a company called Victoria &
Albert. They say it's made from a material called 'Quarrycast' which
will be their own composition of course. For all the world it's like
a thick plastic.

Yesterday, a double glazed unit fell on it (don't ask) and it's made a
chip in it about 50mm x 25mm. I have the majority of the chip that
fell out but around the edges, it shattered and if I just replaced the
chip it would obviously show.

Now, the insurance company are quite willing to replace the bath but
the cost of it will be in the region of 2k (bath 1250 plus fitting)
and this seems to us to be immoral if we could get it repaired
satisfactorily.

I phoned the insurance company (NIG skandia) and they gave me the
number of a bath repair firm.

Have you actually tried going back to V & A and asking their advice ?

--
geoff

xavier

raden wrote in message ...
In message , xavier
writes
Two months ago I installed a bath made by a company called Victoria &
Albert. They say it's made from a material called 'Quarrycast' which

snip

Have you actually tried going back to V & A and asking their advice ?

Yes, I have actually, but the rep who is supposed to phone is away
and, quite honestly, I don't think I'm going to get a response from
them. One lives in hope of course

The previous post about the plastics repair outfit looks hopeful and
I've emailed them. We shall see...

xav
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bg bg is offline

replying to xavier, bg wrote:
Did you find a satisfactory solution? I just had a potted plant fall and chip
the edge of my 6 month old Victoria & Albert Quarrycast bathtub. I've called
Victoria & Albert and they are adamant that they don't recommend anyone for
repairs. They are pushing me off to the place I purchased it, Ferguson, who is
referring me to a bathtub repair person who advertises his skill with acrylic,
fiberglass, cast iron, & steel...but this is a different material & I am not
optimistic as he recommended I use "superglue" to attach the chip, but I'm
fairly certain it is not going to work because the material is quite porous
where it chipped off. Any updates from anyone?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...th-125461-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 October 2017 02:44:04 UTC+1, bg wrote:
replying to xavier, bg wrote:
Did you find a satisfactory solution? I just had a potted plant fall and chip
the edge of my 6 month old Victoria & Albert Quarrycast bathtub. I've called
Victoria & Albert and they are adamant that they don't recommend anyone for
repairs. They are pushing me off to the place I purchased it, Ferguson, who is
referring me to a bathtub repair person who advertises his skill with acrylic,
fiberglass, cast iron, & steel...but this is a different material & I am not
optimistic as he recommended I use "superglue" to attach the chip, but I'm
fairly certain it is not going to work because the material is quite porous
where it chipped off. Any updates from anyone?

It's questionable whether xavier is still viewing the uk.d-i-y news group
nearly 13 years on.

When our bath (not the same material as yours) was damaged we were fortunate
to find a fitter who'd previously worked on yachts to do what amounted to a
gel-coat repair. As V&A Quarrycast seems to be a resin-based material, a
similar approach may work... Do you have boatyards nearby?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 00:34:32 -0700 (PDT),
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

replying to xavier, bg wrote:
[...]

I saw some enamel chip touch-up recently. I think it was in Wilco.
I am happy my efforts a few years ago, I used white nail enamel, the
chip was well above the waterline though.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 06:44 AM
Bath Oil damage [email protected] UK diy 6 February 15th 04 07:48 PM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
Rubber strip for front edge of bath David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 October 14th 03 11:50 AM