Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3" pipe???

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 07:44:21 -0700 (PDT), novel
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:51:50 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, June 23, 2014 6:00:57 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 6/21/2014 7:59 PM, novel wrote:

question..sorry, its the best i can do

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/Nov..._0172.jpg.html

Sure looks like inch and a half pipe, to me.

Some strange physics in your world. Maybe you're taveling

backwards at the speed of light and suffering from relativity

disorder. To the rest of us, in that pic clearly the nipple

is much larger than 1 1/2". As others have pointed out, you

can tell that two ways:

A - The nipple compared to the tailpiece coming down from the sink.

B - The width of the nipple compared to it's measured length, which

is said to be 3".

It might not be 3", but I think everyone else here would put

money on it being greater than 1 1/2"

There seems to be a lot of questions regarding my 3" pipe.. I am the OP here. Some said to measure with a ruler..I went a step further by circling it with a string, than lied it down a ruler and it measured 6". So half of that, I believe would be the diameter...so do the math. It was circled around the red tape area cause that is where it was inserted into the T-pipe. Regardless, a genuine plumber is coming today to take all out and replaced with the latest P trap and etc, minus the T-pipe. Thanks to all...except the troll caller. LOL

Not only not a plumber, but not a mathematician either. The diameter
of a 6" circumference pipe is 1.91 inches. Most definitely NOT a 3"
pipe!!! A bit small for a 2" drain, actually.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It's spot on for a 1 1/2" pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:07:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/20/2014 8:49 AM, novel wrote:
Plumber came to kitchen to take care of my clogged drain after I failed to do it myself. Below the sink, he took off the trap that had what he called a 3" pipe attached to it. Well as he was trying to remove it, part of the thread broke off. it was old and rusted. Now, he told me to have it replace. His job did not call for replacing pipes and had me sign a waver for that. That's fine. Now what I want to know is how to go about getting that pipe. I'm sure its not ready made, or maybe I am wrong. I know it probably won't be available in a regular hardware store. He said to ask for a 3" pipe, threaded on both ends and 3" long. Isn't that what they call a 'coupler"?

Couplings are threaded inside.

Pipe and nipples are threaded outside.

Local hardware store probably does not have 3" pipe.

This is one source
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-metal-pipe/=sho3sf

3" galvanized $19.23 3" stainless $22.66 this is a no brainer, go
stainless and only do it once.

My guss is it's 2" which is about 2.5" o.d. and would look like 3"
under a sink.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:17:29 AM UTC-4, Randy333 wrote:

3" galvanized $19.23 3" stainless $22.66 this is a no brainer, go

stainless and only do it once.

The rest of the plumbing system is 50 year old galavanized.
Why would you put a $22 stainless nipple into that, when the
rest of it isn't long for this world? Even a new galvanized is
going to last longer than the rest of the system.

My guss is it's 2" which is about 2.5" o.d. and would look like 3"

under a sink.

Per his latest reports, the circumference is 6". That makes it
1.5" pipe. Good thing he didn't buy the 3" nipple, eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2014 9:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:17:29 AM UTC-4, Randy333 wrote:

My guss is it's 2" which is about 2.5" o.d. and would look like 3"
under a sink.

Per his latest reports, the circumference is 6". That makes it
1.5" pipe. Good thing he didn't buy the 3" nipple, eh?

This thread sure has gone through a couple twists
and turns. And it's been amazingly civil, all
considered. Considering who is on this list....

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

$23 for one from Home despot (see
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/bras...ot-rough-brass
-p-trap/959711?gclid=CPDPgunhk78CFbNzMgodWlQApQ&ef_id=U6oW @gAAAX2eMLJB:
20140625002530:s)

Hmm... I stand corrected. I didn't see that one on the US Home Depot site,
but I did find this one ($38) that looks quite similar to the one in Novels
pictu

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1...s-P-Trap-H752-
3/202329480

I have never seen these in a local store, looks to be special order only.

Around here, we just use the $5 plastic P-traps like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DBHL-1-1-...e-P-Trap-with-
Threaded-PVC-Adapter-HDP9704B/202078166

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
novel typed:

It might not be 3", but I think everyone else here would put
money on it being greater than 1 1/2"

There seems to be a lot of questions regarding my 3" pipe.. I am the
OP here. Some said to measure with a ruler..I went a step further by
circling it with a string, than lied it down a ruler and it measured
6". So half of that, I believe would be the diameter...so do the
math. It was circled around the red tape area cause that is where it
was inserted into the T-pipe. Regardless, a genuine plumber is coming
today to take all out and replaced with the latest P trap and etc,
minus the T-pipe. Thanks to all...except the troll caller. LOL

The distance around the outside of the pipe that you did with the string is
called the circumference. Here's a link about that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumference

The circumference is 3.14 times the diameter. If you divide the 6 inch
string length by 3.14, you'll get the diameter of the pipe straight across
from one outside edge to the other, which is a little less than 2 inches.
But, that is the outside diameter of the pipe and, as someone mentioned,
pipe sizes are stated by the inside diameter of the pipe. So, it is
apparently a 1 1/2 inch inside diameter pipe.

I'd bet that it wasn't cheap getting a plumber to fix the problem since it
appears from the photo that the trap may be brass and the other pipes and/or
stack may be cast iron. And, to make things more difficult, it looks like
the P-trap from the stack goes straight to the tailpiece coming down from
the sink -- meaning that it is a straight shot and it is not offset on one
side or another. That would mean that you would need an exact length
horizontal pipe and P-trap to fit that distance, and it is an old style trap
with a short turning radius. That can make things difficult. But, if the
vertical stack was cut out by the plumber as was suggested elsewhere here,
and maybe Fernco couplings were used, then the new P-trap could be adjusted
to be offset in a way that the P-trap connections could be adjustable to
accurately line up with the existing sink tailpiece.

And, if you were going to try to do the job yourself, it would probably have
been a little bit of a challenge because that would have involved cutting
off the stack (maybe with an angle grinder due to the tight space), doing
the Fernco trick, putting in a PVC Tee-type fitting and a new P-trap, etc.
Could be a bit of a mess in a very small work area.

Hopefully, it all worked out, but I'd bet it cost some bucks -- maybe 2
hours for a plumber plus parts (just a guess).

And, thanks for posting the photo -- that helped a lot.