Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default flexible copper pipe "plumb sticks" or pipe bending

Hello,

What are your thoughts on these flexible "plumb sticks"? I was
wondering whether to use one as I have an S-shape to fit and its near
to the boiler so I cannot use plastic.

I've seen these flexible pipes in Focus, B&Q, etc. would they be
suitable? Are there any problems with using them?

Does anyone else sell them? The ones in the shops are 350mm which is
bigger than I really need. Google hasn't been much help. Does anyone
sell shorter ones?

If not, how easy is it to put an S bend into 22mm copper? I've never
used a pipe bender before.

Thanks,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 24, 3:34*pm, Fred wrote:
Hello,

What are your thoughts on these flexible "plumb sticks"? I was
wondering whether to use one as I have an S-shape to fit and its near
to the boiler so I cannot use plastic.

Why not? Just use right angles instead. Or is the difference in
alignment too small for two RA pushfits?

I've seen these flexible pipes in Focus, B&Q, etc. would they be
suitable? Are there any problems with using them?

Absolutely fecking brilliant invention! Only thing is, even the ends
are thinner than normal pipe and easily deformed. No problem mating
with compression or plastic push fit.

Does anyone else sell them?

Don't think Tesco do, nor Waitrose, so no.

The ones in the shops are 350mm which is
bigger than I really need. Google hasn't been much help. Does anyone
sell shorter ones?

I haven't seen them. Homebase do longer ones.

If not, how easy is it to put an S bend into 22mm copper? I've never
used a pipe bender before.

I wouldn't bother unless you need the bender for other jobs.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,

What are your thoughts on these flexible "plumb sticks"? I was
wondering whether to use one as I have an S-shape to fit and its near
to the boiler so I cannot use plastic.

I've seen these flexible pipes in Focus, B&Q, etc. would they be
suitable? Are there any problems with using them?

They seem to work OK, but every installation I've ever seen with them looks
like an amateurish bodge. I'm sure there may be reasons to use them, but
I've never come across one.

Does anyone else sell them? The ones in the shops are 350mm which is
bigger than I really need. Google hasn't been much help. Does anyone
sell shorter ones?

Don't know.

If not, how easy is it to put an S bend into 22mm copper? I've never
used a pipe bender before.

Depends on the pipe bender.
A proper pipe bender will make a good job, and won't collapse the pipe.
A springy thingy will make a poor job and dislocate your kneecap into the
bargin.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...5fee0e5c98d465

Even with a proper pipe bender, it can be difficult to fabricate a piece
with multiple bends in different plains close to one another. It requies
practice, and a bit of experience to know what order to pull the bends in,
so as to be able to fit the work-piece back into the bender for the next
bend. You also need to learn where to position the pipe in the former to
achieve the bend in the place you want....
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/Pi...%20(BillP).pdf

Practice on some old off-cuts first. Bend slightly further than required,
it will spring back a wee bit.

Try to design the pipe layout to minimise the tortuosity of the pipework,
and consider where elbows would be acceptable as well as radiused bends.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:34:31 +0000, Fred wrote:

Hello,

What are your thoughts on these flexible "plumb sticks"? I was wondering
whether to use one as I have an S-shape to fit and its near to the boiler
so I cannot use plastic.

I've seen these flexible pipes in Focus, B&Q, etc. would they be suitable?
Are there any problems with using them?

Does anyone else sell them? The ones in the shops are 350mm which is
bigger than I really need. Google hasn't been much help. Does anyone sell
shorter ones?

If not, how easy is it to put an S bend into 22mm copper? I've never used
a pipe bender before.

Thanks,

==================================
You could probably achieve the same result with two of these:

http://www.screwfix.co.uk/prods/1813...-End-Feed-22mm

http://tinyurl.com/2hecjj

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
If not, how easy is it to put an S bend into 22mm copper? I've never
used a pipe bender before.

A proper pipe bender requires practice to learn the skill. Some will learn
faster than others. And a good one isn't cheap. But would two 45 degree
elbows back to back give you what's needed?

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,

What are your thoughts on these flexible "plumb sticks"? I was
wondering whether to use one as I have an S-shape to fit and its near
to the boiler so I cannot use plastic.

If the connection is outside the case plastic in most case can be run to the
boiler. Look at makers instructions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,

What are your thoughts on these flexible "plumb sticks"? I was
wondering whether to use one as I have an S-shape to fit and its near
to the boiler so I cannot use plastic.

I've seen these flexible pipes in Focus, B&Q, etc. would they be
suitable? Are there any problems with using them?

Does anyone else sell them? The ones in the shops are 350mm which is
bigger than I really need. Google hasn't been much help. Does anyone
sell shorter ones?

If not, how easy is it to put an S bend into 22mm copper? I've never
used a pipe bender before.

Thanks,

How about 45 degree elbows?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:55:47 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

How about 45 degree elbows?

I've never seen 45deg elbows.

I'm not sure whether there's enough room to use two 90deg elbows but I
thought using too many elbows was frowned upon, and I thought they
reduced flow or something?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:29:39 GMT someone who may be Fred
wrote this:-

I've never seen 45deg elbows.

I can't say that I have ever seen 45 degree compression elbows.
However, they are available in a solder fittings.

Elbows are not as good as smooth bends formed in the pipe, as they
restrict flow a little, cost money and may leak. However, a small
number of elbows is not going to make a big difference in most
systems.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:55:47 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

How about 45 degree elbows?

I've never seen 45deg elbows.

Probably only in solder fittings.

I'm not sure whether there's enough room to use two 90deg elbows

Hence the 45 degree ones - will give a smaller minimum offset. Which you
can adjust by the length of the pipe between then. With care that can be
so short that they butt together.

but I thought using too many elbows was frowned upon, and I thought they
reduced flow or something?

As will adding your bendy pipe. Or any bends, come to that. Correctly
soldered elbows with careful pipe preparation will introduce less
resistance than any other type of fitting.

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Hence the 45 degree ones - will give a smaller minimum offset. Which you
can adjust by the length of the pipe between then. With care that can be
so short that they butt together.

But somewhat harder to solder and impossible to inspect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Hence the 45 degree ones - will give a smaller minimum offset. Which
you can adjust by the length of the pipe between then. With care that
can be so short that they butt together.

But somewhat harder to solder and impossible to inspect.

You can solder them together as a seperate job away from the pipes if
you want to. But I've not had a problem doing it all in one go. And no
more difficult to solder than ones simply close together, really.

--
*What happens when none of your bees wax? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred writes:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:55:47 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

How about 45 degree elbows?

I've never seen 45deg elbows.

Neither have I.
I've seen lots of 135deg elbows though.
(ISTR the 28mm ones were rather expensive.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
wrote:

How about 45 degree elbows?

I've never seen 45deg elbows.

Neither have I.
I've seen lots of 135deg elbows though.
(ISTR the 28mm ones were rather expensive.)

I'm on a different plain from you.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How about 45 degree elbows?

I've never seen 45deg elbows.

Neither have I.
I've seen lots of 135deg elbows though.

Now you're just being obtuse.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
wrote:

How about 45 degree elbows?

I've never seen 45deg elbows.

Neither have I.
I've seen lots of 135deg elbows though.
(ISTR the 28mm ones were rather expensive.)

I'm on a different plain from you.

Maybe your argument has been sunk without trace if your on a flood
plain, but we thought you were trying to argue that you were on a
different plane.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Appin wrote:
Neither have I.
I've seen lots of 135deg elbows though.
(ISTR the 28mm ones were rather expensive.)

I'm on a different plain from you.

Maybe your argument has been sunk without trace if your on a flood

^^^^
plain, but we thought you were trying to argue that you were on a
different plane.

Those who live by the sword die by the sword.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appin wrote:
Neither have I.
I've seen lots of 135deg elbows though.
(ISTR the 28mm ones were rather expensive.)

I'm on a different plain from you.

Maybe your argument has been sunk without trace if your on a flood

^^^^
plain, but we thought you were trying to argue that you were on a
different plane.

Those who live by the sword die by the sword.

Yes, if your (sic) underlining had appeared under the "your" that was
supposed to be "you're" :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:47:10 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

wrote:

How about 45 degree elbows?

I've never seen 45deg elbows.

Neither have I.
I've seen lots of 135deg elbows though. (ISTR the 28mm ones were rather
expensive.)

ISTR that one 28mm solder ring T was more than 10 28mm 135s in endfeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Appin saying
something like:

Maybe your argument has been sunk without trace if your on a flood

^^^^
plain, but we thought you were trying to argue that you were on a
different plane.

Those who live by the sword die by the sword.

Yes, if your (sic) underlining had appeared under the "your" that was
supposed to be "you're" :-)

It appears exactly where it should on my screen. Of course, I'm using a
fixed font, not a proportional one.
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appin wrote:
Neither have I.
I've seen lots of 135deg elbows though.
(ISTR the 28mm ones were rather expensive.)

I'm on a different plain from you.

Maybe your argument has been sunk without trace if your on a flood

^^^^
plain, but we thought you were trying to argue that you were on a
different plane.

Those who live by the sword die by the sword.

Yes, if your (sic) underlining had appeared under the "your" that was
supposed to be "you're" :-)

Heh heh. It does here. I'm using a fixed font. Which you need to on
newsgroups in case someone uses ascii art for a diagram etc.

--
*Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Fred, me wrote:
Screwfix sell them

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ng-454668-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2017 21:14, me wrote:
replying to Fred, me wrote:
Screwfix sell them

And what was the price in 2008 when the question was posted

See
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 June 2017 21:14:05 UTC+1, me wrote:
replying to Fred, me wrote:
Screwfix sell them

That's so confusing, because Google Groups uses 'me' to indicate anything I write, and I didn't write that.

Owain