Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Natural Gas From House To Shed: Aboveground?

We've got piped-in natural gas and I'm tempted to convert my little
generator to use nat gas so, in the event of an extended electrical
outage, we'd be covered fuel-wise and be out from under the issues
around storing gasoline. The alternative being a large propane tank
or a number of smaller propane tanks.

But it's 50' from the house to the garden shed where the gennie lives
and we're on a shale ridge - i.e. running the plumbing underground would
be quite a task. I'm thinking close to a grand to get somebody in to
dig the trench and run the pipe.

OTOH, I'm wondering if I could just have a natural gas outlet installed
on the outer wall of the house and, when the need arises, uncoil 50' of
the right kind of flexible hose to feed the gennie in the shed.

Safety/legality issues?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/1/2014 2:18 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
We've got piped-in natural gas and I'm tempted to convert my little
generator to use nat gas so, in the event of an extended electrical
outage, we'd be covered fuel-wise and be out from under the issues
around storing gasoline. The alternative being a large propane tank
or a number of smaller propane tanks.

But it's 50' from the house to the garden shed where the gennie lives
and we're on a shale ridge - i.e. running the plumbing underground would
be quite a task. I'm thinking close to a grand to get somebody in to
dig the trench and run the pipe.

OTOH, I'm wondering if I could just have a natural gas outlet installed
on the outer wall of the house and, when the need arises, uncoil 50' of
the right kind of flexible hose to feed the gennie in the shed.

Safety/legality issues?

I'm certain even w/o looking it wouldn' meet any Code in existence.

Too spooky even for me; the possibility of something catching on an
exposed piece of NG tubing is just _too_ much to contemplate given the
potential result. If needing the generator means likelihood of bad
weather that means possibility of an induced failure besides manual
intervention/mistake.

What's $1K compared to replacement cost of the house...have somebody dig
the trench; you can do the rest of the labor/install if you're that
concerned over cost.

The only way I'd even consider something other than that would be to
have a humongously strong and clunky protective barrier around the
feed...and even then don't think I' consider it long.

$0.02, etc., etc., etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 15:18:30 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

We've got piped-in natural gas and I'm tempted to convert my little
generator to use nat gas so, in the event of an extended electrical
outage, we'd be covered fuel-wise and be out from under the issues
around storing gasoline. The alternative being a large propane tank
or a number of smaller propane tanks.

But it's 50' from the house to the garden shed where the gennie lives
and we're on a shale ridge - i.e. running the plumbing underground would
be quite a task. I'm thinking close to a grand to get somebody in to
dig the trench and run the pipe.

OTOH, I'm wondering if I could just have a natural gas outlet installed
on the outer wall of the house and, when the need arises, uncoil 50' of
the right kind of flexible hose to feed the gennie in the shed.

Safety/legality issues?

You may want to check the local codes. Gas can be above ground, but
it may have to be black pipe, not flexible.

http://www.pseg.com/business/builder...GasService.pdf

6.1 Plastic Piping Materials
Plastic pipe, tubing, and fittings used underground shall conform with
the Standard Specification for
Thermoplastic Gas Pressure Pipe, Tubing and Fittings, ASTM D2513. Pipe
to be used shall be marked “GAS”
and “ASTM D2513”. Plastic pipe or tubing shall not be used for gas
piping inside or beneath buildings, or
outside, for above ground applications. Plastic pipe or tubing shall
not be used for venting gas pressure
regulators.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 15:18:30 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Safety/legality issues?

I'd check your local codes. I've seen black iron pipe for gas grill
lines just 4 inches deep. Not a big trench or expense. YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 3:18:30 PM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
We've got piped-in natural gas and I'm tempted to convert my little

generator to use nat gas so, in the event of an extended electrical

outage, we'd be covered fuel-wise and be out from under the issues

around storing gasoline. The alternative being a large propane tank

or a number of smaller propane tanks.

But it's 50' from the house to the garden shed where the gennie lives

and we're on a shale ridge - i.e. running the plumbing underground would

be quite a task. I'm thinking close to a grand to get somebody in to

dig the trench and run the pipe.

OTOH, I'm wondering if I could just have a natural gas outlet installed

on the outer wall of the house and, when the need arises, uncoil 50' of

the right kind of flexible hose to feed the gennie in the shed.

Safety/legality issues?

--

Pete Cresswell

If it's temporary for use in a power outage, IDK what the codes
say, but they certainly sell long lengths of gas hose for use
by RV folks and such. I even know someone who's bought about 25 ft
length for a portable barbecue. Here is one place that sells them....

http://www.tejassmokers.com/customhose.htm

But, don't you also have to then run power back from the shed
to the house? How about some kind of small utility type shed
close the the house, nat gas, electric inlet, etc and keep the
generator in there?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We've got piped-in natural gas and I'm tempted to convert my little
generator to use nat gas so, in the event of an extended electrical
outage, we'd be covered fuel-wise and be out from under the issues
around storing gasoline. The alternative being a large propane tank
or a number of smaller propane tanks.

But it's 50' from the house to the garden shed where the gennie lives
and we're on a shale ridge - i.e. running the plumbing underground would
be quite a task. I'm thinking close to a grand to get somebody in to
dig the trench and run the pipe.

OTOH, I'm wondering if I could just have a natural gas outlet installed
on the outer wall of the house and, when the need arises, uncoil 50' of
the right kind of flexible hose to feed the gennie in the shed.

Safety/legality issues?

The only issue - when did you last price 1 inch or larger flexible
gas hose??? To run my 9000 watt genset on a 25 foot hose it needs to
be 1 inch.(or so I'm told) and the longer the hose the bigger it needs
to be to handle the same flow at the low pressure they run.

So I'm debating running a bit more hard-line so I need less hose -
mabee get away with $200 worth of hose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Difference between permanent and temporary installs may also exist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
We've got piped-in natural gas and I'm tempted to convert my little
generator to use nat gas so, in the event of an extended electrical
outage, we'd be covered fuel-wise and be out from under the issues
around storing gasoline. The alternative being a large propane tank
or a number of smaller propane tanks.

But it's 50' from the house to the garden shed where the gennie lives
and we're on a shale ridge - i.e. running the plumbing underground would
be quite a task. I'm thinking close to a grand to get somebody in to
dig the trench and run the pipe.

OTOH, I'm wondering if I could just have a natural gas outlet installed
on the outer wall of the house and, when the need arises, uncoil 50' of
the right kind of flexible hose to feed the gennie in the shed.

Safety/legality issues?

First check/verify the pressure/flow rate required for you gen set.

Second considering mounting a generator house/enclosure close to the feed
and not the other way around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 14:29:23 -0500, dpb wrote:

I'm certain even w/o looking it wouldn' meet any Code in existence.

Too spooky even for me; the possibility of something catching on an
exposed piece of NG tubing is just _too_ much to contemplate given the
potential result. If needing the generator means likelihood of bad
weather that means possibility of an induced failure besides manual
intervention/mistake.

What's $1K compared to replacement cost of the house...have somebody dig
the trench; you can do the rest of the labor/install if you're that
concerned over cost.

The only way I'd even consider something other than that would be to
have a humongously strong and clunky protective barrier around the
feed...and even then don't think I' consider it long.

$0.02, etc., etc., etc., ...

I've seen plenty of gas line(pipe, not plastic) run outside, but
always along side of a building with supports attached to the
building. It may be possible to run pipe but probably mounted to some
sort of supports and possibly with a protective barrier.

It maybe cheaper and easier, and safer, to pour a pad and make some
sort of shelter for the generator that is closer to the house. There
are still regulations as to location.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/14, 2:18 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
We've got piped-in natural gas and I'm tempted to convert my little
generator to use nat gas so, in the event of an extended electrical
outage, we'd be covered fuel-wise and be out from under the issues
around storing gasoline. The alternative being a large propane tank
or a number of smaller propane tanks.

But it's 50' from the house to the garden shed where the gennie lives
and we're on a shale ridge - i.e. running the plumbing underground would
be quite a task. I'm thinking close to a grand to get somebody in to
dig the trench and run the pipe.

OTOH, I'm wondering if I could just have a natural gas outlet installed
on the outer wall of the house and, when the need arises, uncoil 50' of
the right kind of flexible hose to feed the gennie in the shed.

Safety/legality issues?

Above ground natural gas piping is pretty common in my area.
It's along fence lines by the county road ditches. It looks like
ordinary black pipe. This pipe was put in by the gas company. I guess
they put it underground where there was no fence but over ground
where there was fencing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/1/2014 4:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've seen plenty of gas line(pipe, not plastic) run outside, but
always along side of a building with supports attached to the
building. ...

Well, yeah, but that's a long way from OPs proposed stringing a
temporary across the grass...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/14, 5:09 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/1/2014 4:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've seen plenty of gas line(pipe, not plastic) run outside, but
always along side of a building with supports attached to the
building. ...

Well, yeah, but that's a long way from OPs proposed stringing a
temporary across the grass...

What about using NH3 hose?

Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
We've got piped-in natural gas and I'm tempted to convert my little
generator to use nat gas so, in the event of an extended electrical
outage, we'd be covered fuel-wise and be out from under the issues
around storing gasoline. The alternative being a large propane tank
or a number of smaller propane tanks.

But it's 50' from the house to the garden shed where the gennie lives
and we're on a shale ridge - i.e. running the plumbing underground would
be quite a task. I'm thinking close to a grand to get somebody in to
dig the trench and run the pipe.

OTOH, I'm wondering if I could just have a natural gas outlet installed
on the outer wall of the house and, when the need arises, uncoil 50' of
the right kind of flexible hose to feed the gennie in the shed.

Safety/legality issues?

Hi,
If I am in that situation, I'd have a free standing potable gas tank
placed next to gennie and don't forget to convert it for dual fuel use.
Easier solution than running pipe 50 feet long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Tony Hwang:
If I am in that situation, I'd have a free standing potable gas tank
placed next to gennie and don't forget to convert it for dual fuel use.
Easier solution than running pipe 50 feet long.

That's where I was going in the first place - until the thought of
above-ground came to mind.

Actually, I thought it might be *less* hazardous because a leak would
just dissipate into the air instead of maybe running along the
trench/side of the building and maybe into the building - which seems to
be the situation behind the few natural gas explosions in our area that
I have read about.

I would not be comfortable moving the gennie closer to the house because
of the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning.... nasty stuff....

So I guess, once I verify the cost, it's back to my original scheme of
storing/using propane in or behind the shed.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 6:35:54 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

[...]

What kind of gas is "potable"? And what do you do when
the gas tank runs out in a power outage?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 20:04:44 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 16:57:08 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

What kind of gas is "potable"?

It is impotent not to forget your "R", even if it isn't "talk like a
pirate day"

Arrgh!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 17:09:13 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 6/1/2014 4:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've seen plenty of gas line(pipe, not plastic) run outside, but
always along side of a building with supports attached to the
building. ...

Well, yeah, but that's a long way from OPs proposed stringing a
temporary across the grass...

Which was his "second" choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 16:35:54 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

Who't talking about drinking gas??? (Potable gas tank)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 19:26:25 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Tony Hwang:
If I am in that situation, I'd have a free standing potable gas tank
placed next to gennie and don't forget to convert it for dual fuel use.
Easier solution than running pipe 50 feet long.

That's where I was going in the first place - until the thought of
above-ground came to mind.

Actually, I thought it might be *less* hazardous because a leak would
just dissipate into the air instead of maybe running along the
trench/side of the building and maybe into the building - which seems to
be the situation behind the few natural gas explosions in our area that
I have read about.

I would not be comfortable moving the gennie closer to the house because
of the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning.... nasty stuff....

So I guess, once I verify the cost, it's back to my original scheme of
storing/using propane in or behind the shed.

CO poisoning in the house with the genset running on natural gas even
20 feet from the house is a REAL long shot!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per :

CO poisoning in the house with the genset running on natural gas even
20 feet from the house is a REAL long shot!!!

That's what we're going for: the longest possible shot.... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 2, 2014 8:11:48 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 04:27:03 -0400, Jimbo wrote:

On 06/01/2014 11:21 PM, wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 21:50:15 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"

wrote:

Per
:

CO poisoning in the house with the genset running on natural gas even

20 feet from the house is a REAL long shot!!!

That's what we're going for: the longest possible shot.... -)

Cars, trucks and busses are passing closer than that to MANY homes,

every day, day in and day out.

I have a natural gas Kohler generator about 5' from the house and its never set off the CO detectors.

Lots of propane operated fork lifts and zambonies run indoors all the

tome too. Not saying to run the generator inside, mind you - but well

ventilated 10 feet from the house is NOT a risk!!!

A more direct comparison, there are God knows how many
automatic startup nat gas generators installed right next
to homes all over the country. Complete with permits, new
gas lines run from the meter, etc. They don't have anything
special with regard to exhaust, it just comes out the side of the
cabinet. And how many people running gasoline generators
right outside the house during power outages? Never heard
one of them where there was a problem with CO, unless they
ran it in the garage, or maybe did something else like
left it right outside an open garage door, with the wind blowing
it back inside. If you have a nat gas generator outside
a normal house, windows closed, I can't imaging how you'd
have a CO hazard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Looks like it;s $580 for 50 ft of 1"

http://www.tejassmokers.com/NatGasHoses.htm

That plus other reasons would have me looking at some kind of
small utility storage box/shed large enough to hold the generator
near the house/gas lines, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

We've got piped-in natural gas and I'm tempted to convert my little
generator to use nat gas so, in the event of an extended electrical
outage, we'd be covered fuel-wise and be out from under the issues
around storing gasoline. The alternative being a large propane tank
or a number of smaller propane tanks.

If I am in that situation, I'd have a free standing potable gas tank

placed next to gennie and don't forget to convert it for dual fuel use.

Easier solution than running pipe 50 feet long.

What kind of gas is "potable"? And what do you do when
the gas tank runs out in a power outage?

Potable gas is what you get in Oh Hah.
I think NG is a good option, I've never
had the NG interrupted. And I'm in the cold
part of the country, in NYS.

Not sure about above ground piping.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2014 06:49 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Potable gas is what you get in Oh Hah.

"potable" is a funny word. How do you pote something?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 7:26:25 PM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Tony Hwang:

[...]

You want to do something more dangerous to avoid something with almost no danger. They install practically all those emergency generators right next to the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2014 10:58 AM, hah wrote:
On 06/03/2014 06:49 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Potable gas is what you get in Oh Hah.

"potable" is a funny word. How do you pote something?

That's an impotant question. I'll have to put on my
suit and tie so I can look impotant.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 19:59:27 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

One poster stated they had plastic pipe run above ground. IDK about that. I
doubt it is gas.

PEX is the only type I'm aware of, but it needs to be buried to
prevent UV damage from exposure to the sun...