Default Used aboveground vinyl pool: use old liner for added protection?

For better or for worse, my wife and I bought a used above-ground pool,
disassembled it, and lugged it home. The only thing left on the
seller's property is the old liner. Now, I know better then to think I
could reuse the old liner to hold water. But, we're toying with the
idea of cutting the bottom panel out and placing it underneath the new
liner as an added layer of protection. Is this an asinine thought or
might it be worth doing? Does anyone have any first-hand experience
with this?

Please don't share your beliefs as to how dumb it was to buy a used
pool, or how useless a pool will be in Michigan. I've read those
threads already, thank-you-very-much Besides, it is done and paid
for, there's no turning back now!

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
But, we're toying with the
idea of cutting the bottom panel out and placing it underneath the new
liner as an added layer of protection. Is this an asinine thought or
might it be worth doing? Does anyone have any first-hand experience
with this?

It would also be a moisture barrier. If water gets between the two liners,
it could get yucky maybe. Don't know for sure, but I'd be concerned about
that happening.

buffalobill

basic instructions can be found at:

http://www.websweeper.com/php/pool_liners/abg-002.php

i suggest you also consider:
1. will you be insulating the ground and walls to retain heat and
stretch your swimming season?
2. will you be allowing the center to be deeper than the edge so the
pool dirt will collect in the middle for easier leaf removal while
still keeping the water depth level above your youngest child's chin at
all ages.
3. look at led christmas lights.
4. look at electricial to wire a safe GFI for your pool yard and deck
lights.
5. look at new 300 lb capacity pool ladder $99 made in canada.

josh

wrote
For better or for worse, my wife and I bought a used above-ground pool,
disassembled it, and lugged it home. The only thing left on the
seller's property is the old liner. Now, I know better then to think I
could reuse the old liner to hold water. But, we're toying with the
idea of cutting the bottom panel out and placing it underneath the new
liner as an added layer of protection. Is this an asinine thought or
might it be worth doing? Does anyone have any first-hand experience
with this?

I have an above ground, same liner for 8 years. Have sand bottom. Your
worries are cutting/tearing the liner from the inside, so unless I'm missing
something, I don't know what an additional bottom underneath would
accomplish, except wasted time and maybe a few extra wrinkles telegraphing
through.

It has been said to us that water could get trapped between them. I
just figured that the thousands of pounds of pressure the water would
apply to the liner would prevent any voids, air pockets, etc. from
forming that could let water in. But, I claim no knowledge of pools
and very little of physics

I read the instructions, thank you for the link. They are VERY basic
though!

I'm not aware of how you would insulate the ground and walls. Do tell.

I figured we'd have a deep end and a shallow end, but like you mention
it might be a better choice to have it deepest in the middle. Our
youngest child is 10 months so keeping it below his chin will be a
challenge

We're blessed with a very deep yard so there's no risk of dangling
cords like X-mas lites falling in. (I think that's where you're going
with that!)

We're also "blessed" with a city code inspector as a nextdoor neighbor,
so it'll all have to be done to code. I have a 2002 NEC code book and
pretty good electrical skills so I'll do what it takes to make it
right. (as an aside.. I figured it would be OK to use UF cable to wire
the receptacle.. Looks like I have to use rigid or PVC tubing though..
bummer)

Please give me the information on the ladder you speak of.

thanks!
Kevin

Kathy

wrote in message
ups.com...
For better or for worse, my wife and I bought a

used above-ground pool,
disassembled it, and lugged it home.

Just curious - How much did you pay for it?

Well that may be where I'm going astray.. The guy I got the pool from
said the only times he's had to patch the floor of the pool was when
rocks (he assumes it was the sharp corners of a rock) wore through the
bottom. I didn't figure our feet would inflict much wear upon the
bottom of the pool. (although my feet are pretty rough and
calloused..)

The possibility of more wrinkles are a concern. How much of a concern,
I'm not sure. I've never set one of these up so I really have no clue
what to expect.

Jmagerl

They make thick plastic pool liner bottoms for the exact reason you state.
http://www.lesliespool.com/shopping/...ProductID=8447

I currently have a sand bottom and my main problems are worms and tree
roots. Every spring when I open the pool I find new grooves in the bottom
from worm tracks. I have never had a puncture in the bottom yet. My next
replacement liner will have one of those bottom liners under it.

I hope you have a heater because the pool season will be very short without
one. (mid june to mid august- chicago area). I put 72 degrees as my minimum
water temp. 80 is better (mid July). Don't know how I jumped into lake
Michigan as a kid.

wrote in message
ups.com...
For better or for worse, my wife and I bought a used above-ground pool,
disassembled it, and lugged it home. The only thing left on the
seller's property is the old liner. Now, I know better then to think I
could reuse the old liner to hold water. But, we're toying with the
idea of cutting the bottom panel out and placing it underneath the new
liner as an added layer of protection. Is this an asinine thought or
might it be worth doing? Does anyone have any first-hand experience
with this?

Please don't share your beliefs as to how dumb it was to buy a used
pool, or how useless a pool will be in Michigan. I've read those
threads already, thank-you-very-much Besides, it is done and paid
for, there's no turning back now!

$1200. It is a 21' x 41' Doughboy, about 10 years old.

Looking back on the deal, I might have been able to hold out and got a
better deal. We've been keeping an eye on the local classified section
though, and it seems like all the ones we found were either too small
for our liking (18' round seems to come up a lot) or they came with
none of the accessories and we would have had to buy everything
separately. This one has a brand new pump and kettle-o-sand, miles of
hoses, strainers, a slide, ladder, chemicals, kid's lifejackets, even
fun-noodles and a beachball Basically everything imaginable was
included. The guy has a real nice house that will be bulldozed next
April for a high-rise condo complex, so he has no need for any of it.

I'm following the logic of not butting up two layers of liner together.
If we do this, I will put an inch or so of sand between them.

We put up an inflatable pool this summer.. that was my introduction to
pools. We had days this summer that I wished the water wasn't so
damned hot.. One day the water was 94 degrees! I know this summer was
an aberration though. I'm sure that since we have a big pool, next
summer will be cold and rainy.

We jumped in the pool last Sunday just for the hell of it.. The water
was 64 degrees. That was too cold. I'm surprised I don't have
pneumonia right now. It might take a few days to set in. I think your
temp. range is probably pretty accurate.. I don't think I'd get in
again if the temp is under 70.

Kathy

wrote in message
oups.com...
$1200. It is a 21' x 41' Doughboy, about 10

years old.

Wow.
About 5 years ago I put a post on a newsgroup of
free stuff and got someone to come and _take_ my 6
year old, 27' round x 52"deep pool away. I gave him
everything(even chemicals & toys!) except the
automatic vaccuum. He drove 100 miles and brought
his family for the ride. Those 2 little girls would
be young teenagers by now. I hope they enjoyed the
pool.

Bob G.

Wrinkles are bad. They will collect dirt, stop any automatic pool cleaner,
and lead to premature failure. There should be no wrinkles at all.

You need to put a layer of sand under the liner, don't put it on bare ground.
At least 3 inches of sand.

Normal use will not make holes.

I've gotten holes from insects and, I suspect, small rodents tunneling under
the liner and trying to surface. If that doesn't seem likely in your case,
forget using the old liner.

If you do use the old liner, put down sand, old liner, sand, then new liner.

===Its been years since I had an above ground pool... and replaced it
with an in ground one....\

BUT the above advice is what I would have given IF I were the first to
reply.. Personally I would not bother with the old liner. BUT I
would schedule plenty of time...then double that just to get the
bottom wrinkle free... with liner inground pools a shop vac stuck
under the liner will suck the liner tight so you can work out every
single wrinkle ...should work on an above ground pool also..just leave
the vac on until you have a few inches of water covering the bottom...

Enjoy the pool...unfortunately I have to close my pool this weekend...
and I hate doing that...(not hard work...just hate the thought of
winter comming...Bummer

Bob

..

Dan Espen

Bob G. writes:

[...]

I can't see how I could get a vac to work, the liner is loose around the
edges. Never tried it though.
The first 1/2 inch of water will nail the liner to the ground.

Enjoy the pool...unfortunately I have to close my pool this weekend...
and I hate doing that...(not hard work...just hate the thought of
winter comming...Bummer

Closed mine last weekend.

It certainly is depressing, not only can't I use it, but instead
of the beautiful blue water, I see that cover. What the world needs
is an attractive pool cover.

Olaf

wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't think I'd get in
again if the temp is under 70.

70 is, I think, the low limit for scuba diving without a wet suit.
Hypothermia can set in if you stay in water under 70 for too long.

I figured if those Russian submarine guys could survive several days in
40 degree water, I could handle half an hour in mid-60s But then
again, I'm sure most of them came out of the sub pretty sick!

keith

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:27:14 -0700, micrologix1500 wrote:

I figured if those Russian submarine guys could survive several days in
40 degree water, I could handle half an hour in mid-60s But then
again, I'm sure most of them came out of the sub pretty sick!

Were they *IN* the water? There is a difference between 40F air and
40F water. My bet is that they wouldn't have lasted an hour in 40F water.

--
Keith