TP

Default Replace in-ground pool, vinyl liner

We need to replace our in-ground pool vinyl liner. Has anyone
any comments on this experience? It is a simple rectangle shape.
I was wondering if the thickness 20mil or 30mil? Here in the
North East, it has to warmer temps to install.
What about this Ameri-Shield? This is an extra piece of
vinyl that matches the perimeter of your new liner? It is
secured above the liner in the same track via a "T" lock system.
It hangs down into the water a few inches. Anyone use this?

Thanks
TP
Bob G.

On Mon, 09 May 2005 01:23:28 GMT, TP
wrote:

We need to replace our in-ground pool vinyl liner. Has anyone
any comments on this experience? It is a simple rectangle shape.
I was wondering if the thickness 20mil or 30mil? Here in the
North East, it has to warmer temps to install.
What about this Ameri-Shield? This is an extra piece of
vinyl that matches the perimeter of your new liner? It is
secured above the liner in the same track via a "T" lock system.
It hangs down into the water a few inches. Anyone use this?

Thanks
TP

============
I have no clue as to what that Amen-shield is... My Vinyl
Liner/concrete bottom pool is 30 odd years old and I installed all 3
of the liners that I have needed....

Thicker Vinyl is in my opinion better.....As for installing one all
you really need is to identify the corners (usually marked) and
snap it in place....remove about 6 inches of liner fromt he coping
insert a vac hose from a good shop vac... and the liner will be sucked
inplace... turn off vac...adjust liner yada yada until it is wrinkle
free.... Not hard... From memory it was NOT really warm outside when
I replaced the liner ...early spring for the replacements...original
went in in November.... Located in the Balto/Washington area

Bob Griffiths
TP

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bob. This amen-shield :-) looks like a good idea. I'm
not sure if I could fit 2 beads in the original groove. Check
out this amen--thingy web site?
http://www.websweeper.com/php/pool_liners/ig-009.php

I did help install the liner, 13 years ago. Just like you said
shopvac and move it around. Got a layer of foam over the
concrete bottom. I only worry about cutting the drain/return and
stairs, wrong. Oops there goes a new liner quick.

TP
Bob G.

Thanks Bob. This amen-shield :-) looks like a good idea. I'm
not sure if I could fit 2 beads in the original groove. Check
out this amen--thingy web site?
http://www.websweeper.com/php/pool_liners/ig-009.php

I did help install the liner, 13 years ago. Just like you said
shopvac and move it around. Got a layer of foam over the
concrete bottom. I only worry about cutting the drain/return and
stairs, wrong. Oops there goes a new liner quick.

TP

=======================================
I just did take a look at the Amen-thingy..... lol...and to be very
honest I think IT WOULD, at least in my case extend the life of the
liner...

As I said I am on my 3rd liner... and in each and every case the old
liner simply dry rotted above the water line ....and always on the
side and one end where the sun hits the pool the most.... this amen
thingy would also be effected by years of sun lite etc BUT the liner
itself would be protected... Interesting... instead of getting
12=14 years out of a liner it would last 20 years....LOL...

As for attaching it is the same "slot"....they do make strips that can
be directly scrrewed into the walls just below the coping in effect
giving you a completely new channel to snap the liner into... not
expensive.

I would not worry about cutting the liner for the returns, or
skimmers... You do this when the pool water level is just an inch or
so below the area where you need to cut...almost impossible to cut the
liner wrong... the shop vac and the water inside the pool keeps
everything tight ....main drain is the hardest but again on a scale of
1 to 10... ten being hard... its at 1 or 0,5...

I figure my liner has another 7-8 years of live in it and I am now in
my 60's and do not know if I physically could install another liner
in my 70's (old arthritis yada yada)...but I will keep that amen
thingy in mind...

Good luck

Bob Griffiths
Bill

wrote:

We need to replace our in-ground pool vinyl liner. Has anyone
any comments on this experience? It is a simple rectangle shape.
I was wondering if the thickness 20mil or 30mil? Here in the
North East, it has to warmer temps to install.
What about this Ameri-Shield? This is an extra piece of
vinyl that matches the perimeter of your new liner? It is
secured above the liner in the same track via a "T" lock system.
It hangs down into the water a few inches. Anyone use this?

Thanks
TP

Hey TP!

I am on my second vinyl lined inground pool. There are hundreds of
places to buy vinyl liners for your pool. Just set your web browser on
the "Google" search engine and plug in a search word like "pool
liners" or "pool liner manufacturers". You will be amazed what pops
up!

With my first pool, it was about seven years before I thought I ought
to replace the liner. They become brittle after a few years and
develop cracks and leaks which you can easily patch if you don't want
to spring for a new liner. Somewhere about $1000 is a typical price.
On my first liner replacement I watched one man bring the liner to the
pool in a box with a hand truck...slide the box down into the pool and
place it in the center of the pool...open the box and unfold the pool
liner stretching it across the pool like a giant bedspread...he stuck
the edge of the liner into the slot in the coping on top of the pool
wall...when you stick the edge of the liner into the coping and then
let the weight of the liner hang down the wall...it forms a mechanical
lock into the coping and won't slip out...unless you pull it back up
at a 90 degree angle to the pool wall...

After the pool liner installer got the liner attached to the coping
all the way around the pool he attached it around the steps at the end
of the pool with sealing strips screwed into the sides of the steps.
Then he simply cut out the extra piece of liner covering the entrance
to the steps with a box cutter. Also, he had to attach the liner to
the main drain, the skimmer box and the automatic pool cleaner
fittings protruding through the pool wall. These fittings basically
have a flange face that the liner lays across and you place a ring on
the other side of the liner...cut holes or drill holes through it to
attach the ring and seal it up watertight.

At this point he disconnected the liner from the coping...just a small
section maybe an eight inch section...he then slipped a narrow flat
shaped suction nozzle from a very high powered vacuum blower right
between the liner and the pool wall and started sucking the air out
from between the liner and the ground underneath. As the suction
continued for five or six hours with the sun shining on it and warming
it up...all the wrinkles stretched out and the liner was stretched
tightly and formed neatly to the bottom and pool walls.

Next he started filling it with water...keep in mind the vacuum is
still on until you get the water at least a foot deep in the shallow
end of the pool...

It ain't rocket science folks...as a matter of fact I think the people
who put my pool in the first time were were of rather low intelligence
because when they assembled the pool walls after excavating the pool
hole in the ground...they could not read a transit level
accurately...thus one side of the pool was two inches lower than the
other side...when the wife and I got in the pool and looked at
opposite sides it looked like the the pool was leaning down hill! I
raised hell with the contractor and had to threaten to take him to
court before he came back and half assed fixed it. He broke up the
concrete on the "low" side of the pool and put wooden strips under the
coping to raise it up a little.

You can do it yourself and save a bundle!

Double click on this website for some ideas...
http://www.discountpoolliners.com/li...stallation.htm

If you search Google you will find alot more helpful information...

Regards,
Bill