Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY shower pan?

Besies not doing this, any thoughts on building a wooden shower
pan? I have a small cabin that has space at a premium. My bathroom
has enough room for a 24"x24" shower pan. My idea is to build a pan
out of plywood and 1"x4" sides. Once the pan is built paint the
wood. When the pan is in place bore a hole through the pan, through
the sub floor, between the joists of the raised floor. The waste,
gray water would drain through a hole cut in the wall.

This pan is only for collecting the water and will not be submerged.
The water, once collected, should drain quickly out of the cabin.
This pan is inside my cabin and not outside exposed to heat, weather,
etc.

My questions include:
- What to use as paint so the wood becomes water proof?
- Is there a better way to do this?
- Should I abandon this project and buy a 32"x32" pan?

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
Besies not doing this, any thoughts on building a wooden shower
pan? I have a small cabin that has space at a premium. My bathroom
has enough room for a 24"x24" shower pan. My idea is to build a pan
out of plywood and 1"x4" sides. Once the pan is built paint the
wood. When the pan is in place bore a hole through the pan, through
the sub floor, between the joists of the raised floor. The waste,
gray water would drain through a hole cut in the wall.

This pan is only for collecting the water and will not be submerged.
The water, once collected, should drain quickly out of the cabin.
This pan is inside my cabin and not outside exposed to heat, weather,
etc.

My questions include:
- What to use as paint so the wood becomes water proof?
- Is there a better way to do this?
- Should I abandon this project and buy a 32"x32" pan?

Maybe coat it with fiberglass. Probably not practical to coat it with some
of that spray in bed liner for trucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2014 6:16 PM, Mike wrote:
[...]

I don't think it is a good idea. Water is bound to leak into wood
somewhere and eventually cause rot. Plastic pan material over wood,
with mud base and tiles would allow building any size pan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

a 24 by 24 inch shower is tiny and will be very hard to shower in. you wouldnt have room enough to move.build a cardboad box, cover with a tarp then add a garden hose.

wood will rot, just buy a shower pan, they are cheap on craigslist....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/29/2014 03:16 PM, Mike wrote:
Besies not doing this, any thoughts on building a wooden shower
pan? I have a small cabin that has space at a premium. My bathroom
has enough room for a 24"x24" shower pan. My idea is to build a pan
out of plywood and 1"x4" sides. Once the pan is built paint the
wood. When the pan is in place bore a hole through the pan, through
the sub floor, between the joists of the raised floor. The waste,
gray water would drain through a hole cut in the wall.

This pan is only for collecting the water and will not be submerged.
The water, once collected, should drain quickly out of the cabin.
This pan is inside my cabin and not outside exposed to heat, weather,
etc.

My questions include:
- What to use as paint so the wood becomes water proof?

Redgard comes to mind, or fiberglass it. I don't like your idea of
drilling through it *after* you waterproof it, though; your goal should
be to produce an item comparable with one you purchase, all of which are
waterproof with the holes already existing.

- Is there a better way to do this?

Water heater pan?

- Should I abandon this project and buy a 32"x32" pan?

Depends on the quality of your workmanship and the amount of time you
want to spend on it. Do it right the first time, or you will come to
regret it later.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:05:58 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
a 24 by 24 inch shower is tiny and will be very hard to shower in.

I think we have a winner folks. I can't fathom how a 2ft x 2ft shower
would work either.

you wouldnt have room enough to move.build a cardboad box, cover with a tarp then add a garden hose.

wood will rot, just buy a shower pan, they are cheap on craigslist....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2014 6:16 PM, Mike wrote:
Besies not doing this, any thoughts on building a wooden shower
pan? I have a small cabin that has space at a premium. My bathroom
has enough room for a 24"x24" shower pan.

My questions include:
- What to use as paint so the wood becomes water proof?
- Is there a better way to do this?
- Should I abandon this project and buy a 32"x32" pan?

Damn, you must be one skinny dude to fit in a 24" shower. I'd not
bother at that size.

No matter what you do with wood, it is not a good long term solution. I
just took out a 34 x 34 fiberglass shower to make it larger (34 x 48).
Maybe it could have been cut down to work for you. Probably Craig's list
could help with that.

Where is the gray water running to? You made no mention of a drain and
it sounds like it is just getting dumped on the ground. Over time you
can have a mess from hair and soap scum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
Besies not doing this, any thoughts on building a wooden shower
pan? I have a small cabin that has space at a premium. My bathroom
has enough room for a 24"x24" shower pan. My idea is to build a pan
out of plywood and 1"x4" sides. Once the pan is built paint the
wood. When the pan is in place bore a hole through the pan, through
the sub floor, between the joists of the raised floor. The waste,
gray water would drain through a hole cut in the wall.

This pan is only for collecting the water and will not be submerged.
The water, once collected, should drain quickly out of the cabin.
This pan is inside my cabin and not outside exposed to heat, weather,
etc.

I did something similar on my sailboat years ago...shower drained into a pan
in the bilge, pan was pumped dry by flipping a switch while drying myself.
I had the pan fabricated from sheet copper.

My questions include:
- What to use as paint so the wood becomes water proof?

None. If you want the wood to stand up, paint it with thin epoxy. There is
one named Gluvit made for the purpose. I made a plywood water tank for the
same boat...about 100 gallon, inside coated with Gluvit, used it for 10+
years, still good when I sold the boat.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_85jl6dkneq_b

- Should I abandon this project and buy a 32"x32" pan?

I thought you only had a 24 x 24 space.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

If you decide to make the wood thing and epoxy it, don't use lumber for the
sides, use ply.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-05-30, dadiOH wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

In my 12'x16' cabin I built a "bathroom" that is 58"x59". I can go
to 32"x32", but I hate to spend the space for something that seems
to only have a single function. I'll look for the Gluvit. Thanks.

Eventually I want to harvest the rain, build a porch, raised plant
beds, solar panels, batch solar water heating, etc.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-05-30, dadiOH wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

I have plywood scraps that I can put on the sides. Thanks.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Besies not doing this, any thoughts on building a wooden shower
pan? I have a small cabin that has space at a premium. My bathroom
has enough room for a 24"x24" shower pan. My idea is to build a pan
out of plywood and 1"x4" sides. Once the pan is built paint the
wood. When the pan is in place bore a hole through the pan, through
the sub floor, between the joists of the raised floor. The waste,
gray water would drain through a hole cut in the wall.

This pan is only for collecting the water and will not be submerged.
The water, once collected, should drain quickly out of the cabin.
This pan is inside my cabin and not outside exposed to heat, weather,
etc.

My questions include:
- What to use as paint so the wood becomes water proof?

Don't use wood.
- Is there a better way to do this?

Yes
- Should I abandon this project and buy a 32"x32" pan?

Yes

Mike

I think you must do something with the gray water other than just dump it.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:

- What to use as paint so the wood becomes water proof?
- Is there a better way to do this?

Why don't you glass it?