Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default DIY shower pan?

On 5/29/2014 6:16 PM, Mike wrote:
Besies not doing this, any thoughts on building a wooden shower
pan? I have a small cabin that has space at a premium. My bathroom
has enough room for a 24"x24" shower pan.

My questions include:
- What to use as paint so the wood becomes water proof?
- Is there a better way to do this?
- Should I abandon this project and buy a 32"x32" pan?

Damn, you must be one skinny dude to fit in a 24" shower. I'd not
bother at that size.

No matter what you do with wood, it is not a good long term solution. I
just took out a 34 x 34 fiberglass shower to make it larger (34 x 48).
Maybe it could have been cut down to work for you. Probably Craig's list
could help with that.

Where is the gray water running to? You made no mention of a drain and
it sounds like it is just getting dumped on the ground. Over time you
can have a mess from hair and soap scum.