Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default DIY shower pan?

On 2014-05-30, dadiOH wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

Besies not doing this, any thoughts on building a wooden shower
pan? I have a small cabin that has space at a premium. My bathroom
has enough room for a 24"x24" shower pan. My idea is to build a pan
out of plywood and 1"x4" sides. Once the pan is built paint the
wood. When the pan is in place bore a hole through the pan, through
the sub floor, between the joists of the raised floor. The waste,
gray water would drain through a hole cut in the wall.

This pan is only for collecting the water and will not be submerged.
The water, once collected, should drain quickly out of the cabin.
This pan is inside my cabin and not outside exposed to heat, weather,
etc.

I did something similar on my sailboat years ago...shower drained into a
pan in the bilge, pan was pumped dry by flipping a switch while drying
myself. I had the pan fabricated from sheet copper.

My questions include:
- What to use as paint so the wood becomes water proof?

None. If you want the wood to stand up, paint it with thin epoxy. There
is one named Gluvit made for the purpose. I made a plywood water tank for
the same boat...about 100 gallon, inside coated with Gluvit, used it for
10+ years, still good when I sold the boat.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_85jl6dkneq_b

If you decide to make the wood thing and epoxy it, don't use lumber for the
sides, use ply.

I have plywood scraps that I can put on the sides. Thanks.

Mike