Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Specialized wrench needed

At church we have a couple panic bars that stop
working, now and again. What I need is a small
wrench that's about the shape of letter F. Need
to bend a piece of metal a couple degrees, but
it's near the lock case. Vise grips or crescent
wrench hits the lock case. Need a strange tool.

Off the edge of my memory, didn't they make
right angle offset wrench for ignition systems
years ago?

I may take a small box wrench, and use a grinder
or saw to cut a notch in the end, at the correct
angle. Hmm. Might work....

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:89Hev.874653$k7.237109
@fx20.iad:

At church we have a couple panic bars that stop
working, now and again. What I need is a small
wrench that's about the shape of letter F. Need
to bend a piece of metal a couple degrees, but
it's near the lock case. Vise grips or crescent
wrench hits the lock case. Need a strange tool.

Off the edge of my memory, didn't they make
right angle offset wrench for ignition systems
years ago?

Looks like those are still available:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-8-pc-...p-00944778000P
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman" wrote:
On 5/20/14 6:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
At church we have a couple panic bars that stop
working, now and again. What I need is a small
wrench that's about the shape of letter F. Need
to bend a piece of metal a couple degrees, but
it's near the lock case. Vise grips or crescent
wrench hits the lock case. Need a strange tool.

Off the edge of my memory, didn't they make
right angle offset wrench for ignition systems
years ago?

I may take a small box wrench, and use a grinder
or saw to cut a notch in the end, at the correct
angle. Hmm. Might work....

Distributor wrench?

Probably what he's talking about . I made one from an old 9/16-5/8 double
box wrench . Works swell on my '86 GMC distributor .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2014 7:43 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Off the edge of my memory, didn't they make
right angle offset wrench for ignition systems
years ago?

Distributor wrench?

Could be. Needs to bend a piece of metal that is
about 1/8 thick. So, a wrench that goes over 9/16
bolt head would not do.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2014 8:04 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Dean Hoffman" wrote:
On 5/20/14 6:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
What I need is a small
wrench that's about the shape of letter F. Need
to bend a piece of metal a couple degrees, but
it's near the lock case.

Distributor wrench?

Probably what he's talking about . I made one from an old 9/16-5/8 double
box wrench . Works swell on my '86 GMC distributor .

Would it work swell to bent a piece of metal
that is near the lock case?
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 May 2014 07:38:47 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

At church we have a couple panic bars that stop
working, now and again. What I need is a small
wrench that's about the shape of letter F. Need
to bend a piece of metal a couple degrees, but
it's near the lock case. Vise grips or crescent
wrench hits the lock case. Need a strange tool.

Off the edge of my memory, didn't they make
right angle offset wrench for ignition systems
years ago?

Yes. Distributor wrenches.

https://tinyurl.com/nm7thq6

I may take a small box wrench, and use a grinder
or saw to cut a notch in the end, at the correct
angle. Hmm. Might work....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

At church we have a couple panic bars that stop
working, now and again. What I need is a small
wrench that's about the shape of letter F. Need
to bend a piece of metal a couple degrees, but
it's near the lock case. Vise grips or crescent
wrench hits the lock case. Need a strange tool.

Off the edge of my memory, didn't they make
right angle offset wrench for ignition systems
years ago?

I may take a small box wrench, and use a grinder
or saw to cut a notch in the end, at the correct
angle. Hmm. Might work....

How small is small? Your memory of "ignition wrenches" is correct -
up to about 3/8 inch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 May 2014 08:54:19 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/20/2014 7:43 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Off the edge of my memory, didn't they make
right angle offset wrench for ignition systems
years ago?

Distributor wrench?

Could be. Needs to bend a piece of metal that is
about 1/8 thick. So, a wrench that goes over 9/16
bolt head would not do.

chunk of high carbon steel with a 3/16" slot cut in it. Harden and
draw temper to make it hard and tough.

Cut the slot at the required angle and position to make the bend you
need easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

At church we have a couple panic bars that stop
working, now and again. What I need is a small
wrench that's about the shape of letter F. Need
to bend a piece of metal a couple degrees, but
it's near the lock case. Vise grips or crescent
wrench hits the lock case. Need a strange tool.

Off the edge of my memory, didn't they make
right angle offset wrench for ignition systems
years ago?

Yes. Distributor wrenches.

https://tinyurl.com/nm7thq6

I may take a small box wrench, and use a grinder
or saw to cut a notch in the end, at the correct
angle. Hmm. Might work....

Ignition wrenches and distributor wrenches are two totally different
tools. Distributor wrench was for adjusting timing (or
removing/replacing distributor). Ignition wrenches were for terminal
nuts IN distributors and magnetos, and on coils, switches, etc. Dist
wrench 1/2 inch or 9/16" range. Ignition wrenches 3/16 to 3/8" range..
Distributor wrench USUALLY a box end, with the handle bent into
strange shapes depending on the vehicle/engine it was designed for.
Ignition wrenches straight handle, often with jaws at closer to right
angle to handle, bur not bent handle (jaws on the "edge" of the handle
instead of the "end"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I may take a small box wrench, and use a grinder
or saw to cut a notch in the end, at the correct
angle. Hmm. Might work....

http://s406.photobucket.com/user/afazz85/media/100_0112.jpg.html

break line wrench...
--
I like Guns and Titties
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I may take a small box wrench, and use a grinder
or saw to cut a notch in the end, at the correct
angle. Hmm. Might work....

http://s406.photobucket.com/user/afazz85/media/100_0112.jpg.html

break line wrench...

Nope , we finally got enough info out of him like pullin' teeth ... to
realize he doesn't need a wrench , he needs something to bend a small piece
of metal that's in a tight place .

--
Snag
I like guns and titties and BEER

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2014 10:12 AM, Oren wrote:
Off the edge of my memory, didn't they make
right angle offset wrench for ignition systems
years ago?

Yes. Distributor wrenches.

https://tinyurl.com/nm7thq6

No way to slip one of those over a small tab,
and bend the tab. Also totally not what I was
trying to convey.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2014 3:55 PM, Oren wrote:

http://s406.photobucket.com/user/afazz85/media/100_0112.jpg.html

break line wrench...

Getting closer. Wish I could get one
small enough.

The left hand in the photo is interesting
configuration, while pointing.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2014 5:04 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Nope , we finally got enough info out of him like pullin' teeth ... to
realize he doesn't need a wrench , he needs something to bend a small piece
of metal that's in a tight place .

It's been a while since I had one of these
apart. I've made a prototype today, and
this one is good, so far. There will be
another.

I thought my description was as good as
many on this list. And better than some.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2014 5:04 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
-- Snag I like guns and titties and BEER

Guns, and titties, and beer... OH MY!!

Get in my toilet, Toto, we're not in Kansas
any more.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:tmcnn9d7uot0bn4htlq5qh8cp5o49m4gd0@
4ax.com:

wrote:

I may take a small box wrench, and use a grinder
or saw to cut a notch in the end, at the correct
angle. Hmm. Might work....

http://s406.photobucket.com/user/afazz85/media/100_0112.jpg.html

break line wrench...

**** you too Oren.

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 May 2014 14:23:35 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 20 May 2014 12:49:54 -0400, wrote:

How small is small? Your memory of "ignition wrenches" is correct -
up to about 3/8 inch.

My # 47756 Craftsman is 1/2" box- Distributor wrench. Can't remember
last time I used it.

But a distributor wrench and an ignition wrench are two totally
different animals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
At church we have a couple panic bars that stop working, now and
again. What I need is a small wrench that's about the shape of
letter F.

How about a crow's-foot wrench
http://www.sears.com/tools-wrenches-...s/b-1214364367
and a small flex handle
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-i...p-00944363000P
with a square drive size to match the square hole in the wrench?

You might not have to use the flex handle; the ratchet you already own
might be enough. But the flex handle has a much smaller "head" than the
gear mechanism on a ratchet.

Matt Roberds

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2014 2:14 AM, wrote:

How about a crow's-foot wrench
http://www.sears.com/tools-wrenches-...s/b-1214364367
and a small flex handle
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-i...p-00944363000P
with a square drive size to match the square hole in the wrench?

You might not have to use the flex handle; the ratchet you already own
might be enough. But the flex handle has a much smaller "head" than the
gear mechanism on a ratchet.

Matt Roberds

You're going in the right direction.
Sadly, not enough room.