Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Cascade Commercial Dishwasher Detergent Discontinued--AlternativeHome Recipes

Cascade has dropped their commercial dishwasher detergent sold by
ReStockit and Amazon. Finish still makes one that works but it's very
difficult to purchase and quite expensive per load (about 72¢).

I've been looking at homemade alternatives as the retail dishwasher
detergents don't work well http://www.jillcataldo.com/phosphatedetergents.

There are a lot of recipes out there. The one that seems to be the most
widely acclaimed to work well is this one:

76 ounces Borate Powder (20 Mule Team Borax) (Walmart)
55 ounces Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer) (Walmart) Not baking soda.
1 1/3 TSP cup (Home Depot) Be sure to get the real TSP.
4 ounces Citric Acid (Amazon) Buy in 5 pound bag.
2 cups Vaseline Intensive Care moisturizing beads (Walmart)
64 ounces Canning Salt or Kosher Salt 4 pounds
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2014 11:09 AM, sms wrote:
Cascade has dropped their commercial dishwasher detergent sold by
ReStockit and Amazon. Finish still makes one that works but it's very
difficult to purchase and quite expensive per load (about 72¢).

I've been looking at homemade alternatives as the retail dishwasher
detergents don't work well
http://www.jillcataldo.com/phosphatedetergents.

There are a lot of recipes out there. The one that seems to be the most
widely acclaimed to work well is this one:

76 ounces Borate Powder (20 Mule Team Borax) (Walmart)
55 ounces Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer) (Walmart) Not baking soda.
1 1/3 TSP cup (Home Depot) Be sure to get the real TSP.
4 ounces Citric Acid (Amazon) Buy in 5 pound bag.
2 cups Vaseline Intensive Care moisturizing beads (Walmart)
64 ounces Canning Salt or Kosher Salt 4 pounds

Looks like a lot of work. When I bought my new Kitchen Air DW, it came
with a sample of Cascade Platinum. It is absolutely fantastic!
Everything comes out perfect, most things look as good as the day they
were new. About 24¢ a load from Amazon, few pennies more at other stores.

When I have perfection already, I'm not going to mix all of that stuff
together.
Senior Member

SMS:

It's been my experience that companies will never discontinue a product that makes a profit. If this commercial version of Cascade is being discontinued, it's almost certainly because it's not selling well, and that's usually because people are buying something else instead.

Instead of trying to put together your own dish washer detergent, I'd focus your efforts on finding out what's selling well, and trying it. The 17 year olds that stock the shelves in your local supermarket will know what seems to be moving off the shelves the fastest.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/9/2014 1:24 PM, nestork wrote:

It's been my experience that companies will never discontinue a product
that makes a profit. If this commercial version of Cascade is being
discontinued, it's almost certainly because it's not selling well, ...

Used to be that was pretty much true. Any more, it's just as likely (if
not more so) that the problem is encroaching EPA or other reg's either
outlaw an ingredient or make the production exorbitantly expensive or
the like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 9, 2014 11:09:53 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
Cascade has dropped their commercial dishwasher detergent sold by

ReStockit and Amazon. Finish still makes one that works but it's very

difficult to purchase and quite expensive per load (about 72�).

I've been looking at homemade alternatives as the retail dishwasher

detergents don't work well http://www.jillcataldo.com/phosphatedetergents.

There are a lot of recipes out there. The one that seems to be the most

widely acclaimed to work well is this one:

76 ounces Borate Powder (20 Mule Team Borax) (Walmart)

55 ounces Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer) (Walmart) Not baking soda.

1 1/3 TSP cup (Home Depot) Be sure to get the real TSP.

4 ounces Citric Acid (Amazon) Buy in 5 pound bag.

2 cups Vaseline Intensive Care moisturizing beads (Walmart)

64 ounces Canning Salt or Kosher Salt 4 pounds

We use Cascade and throw in a teaspoonful of real TSP with every load.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 5/9/2014 1:08 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Friday, May 9, 2014 11:09:53 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:

snip

76 ounces Borate Powder (20 Mule Team Borax) (Walmart)

55 ounces Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer) (Walmart) Not baking soda.

1 1/3 TSP cup (Home Depot) Be sure to get the real TSP.

4 ounces Citric Acid (Amazon) Buy in 5 pound bag.

2 cups Vaseline Intensive Care moisturizing beads (Walmart)

64 ounces Canning Salt or Kosher Salt 4 pounds

We use Cascade and throw in a teaspoonful of real TSP with every load.

That's an option too. But while I would be fine with that, I need to
make this child-proof and spouse-proof, so anything I put under the sink
needs to be pre-mixed. I could mix in the TSP and put it back in the
Cascade or Finish box (which I did prior to buying the Cascade
commercial product) but as long as I'm having to mix something up I may
as well do it from scratch and make up a big batch.

None of the currently available consumer dishwasher detergents work well
without doing something like you do with the TSP. Finish commercial is
one option but it's difficult to purchase. I guess I could also buy
Bubble Bandit, but it's very expensive http://www.bubblebandit.com/.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 May 2014 14:47:54 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/9/2014 1:24 PM, nestork wrote:

It's been my experience that companies will never discontinue a product
that makes a profit. If this commercial version of Cascade is being
discontinued, it's almost certainly because it's not selling well, ...

Used to be that was pretty much true. Any more, it's just as likely (if
not more so) that the problem is encroaching EPA or other reg's either
outlaw an ingredient or make the production exorbitantly expensive or
the like.

Considering that the product that the OP likes contained phosphates, I'm
sure that is why it was discontinued.

I believe detergent with phosphates is still available in the UK. But when
I tried to go to shopping sites it saw my US IP address and redirected me
to their US site.

What about Bubble Bandit? It has phosphates:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FOS9XFG/

Note list of states where you are not supposed to buy it for home use. And
in some states you can not buy it at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 May 2014 17:14:59 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

What about Bubble Bandit? It has phosphates:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FOS9XFG/

Free shipping and a $5 discount if you buy direct:

http://www.bubblebandit.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 5/9/2014 2:14 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
[...]

It's not illegal in California. The issue is that the manufacturers
don't like doing different SKUs for different geographical areas.

Water that goes through a sewage treatment plant has the phosphates
removed prior to the water being put into percolation ponds for
recharging ground water. They use the same techniques for removing
phosphates that are used in swimming pools, usually precipitation and
filtering. The waste water plants don't like phosphates in waste water
because it's costly to get rid of it. So adding phosphates to detergents
should be done only when necessary. Commercial use of phosphates in
dishwasher detergent is allowed because restaurants need their dishes to
be clean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/14 05:11 pm, sms wrote:

None of the currently available consumer dishwasher detergents work well
without doing something like you do with the TSP. Finish commercial is
one option but it's difficult to purchase. I guess I could also buy
Bubble Bandit, but it's very expensive http://www.bubblebandit.com/.

We buy large packs of Cascade or store-brand dishwasher detergent at
Costco. They work fine in our Whirlpool-built Kenmore dishwasher.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 May 2014, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

On 05/09/14 05:11 pm, sms wrote:

None of the currently available consumer dishwasher detergents work well
without doing something like you do with the TSP. Finish commercial is
one option but it's difficult to purchase. I guess I could also buy
Bubble Bandit, but it's very expensive http://www.bubblebandit.com/.

We buy large packs of Cascade or store-brand dishwasher detergent at
Costco. They work fine in our Whirlpool-built Kenmore dishwasher.

How hard is your water? If your water is soft, any decent detergent will
work. It is in locales with hard water where phosphates are needed to keep
glassware from getting covered with lime deposits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/14 06:00 pm, Don Wiss wrote:
On Fri, 09 May 2014, "Percival P. wrote:

On 05/09/14 05:11 pm, sms wrote:

None of the currently available consumer dishwasher detergents work well
without doing something like you do with the TSP. Finish commercial is
one option but it's difficult to purchase. I guess I could also buy
Bubble Bandit, but it's very expensivehttp://www.bubblebandit.com/.

We buy large packs of Cascade or store-brand dishwasher detergent at
Costco. They work fine in our Whirlpool-built Kenmore dishwasher.

How hard is your water? If your water is soft, any decent detergent will
work. It is in locales with hard water where phosphates are needed to keep
glassware from getting covered with lime deposits.

We have a water softener.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/9/2014 4:24 PM, sms wrote:

... Commercial use of phosphates in
dishwasher detergent is allowed because restaurants need their dishes to
be clean.

And we at home don't????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 May 2014 14:11:41 -0700, sms wrote:

None of the currently available consumer dishwasher detergents work well
without doing something like you do with the TSP. Finish commercial is
one option but it's difficult to purchase. I guess I could also buy
Bubble Bandit, but it's very expensive http://www.bubblebandit.com/.

Thank you for starting this thread. I learned and I have ordered four
packages of the Bubble Bandit for $49.80 for my mother. In New Jersey her
water is very hard. Her glasses are all covered with lime deposits. The
sterling silver has a dingy look.

The rep at Bubble Bandit did recommend running the dishwasher empty with it
three to four times to clean the deposits off the insides of the
dishwasher. My mom says it is covered inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/9/2014 4:24 PM, sms wrote:
On 5/9/2014 2:14 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Fri, 09 May 2014 14:47:54 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/9/2014 1:24 PM, nestork wrote:

It's been my experience that companies will never discontinue a product
that makes a profit. If this commercial version of Cascade is being
discontinued, it's almost certainly because it's not selling well, ...

Used to be that was pretty much true. Any more, it's just as likely (if
not more so) that the problem is encroaching EPA or other reg's either
outlaw an ingredient or make the production exorbitantly expensive or
the like.

Considering that the product that the OP likes contained phosphates, I'm
sure that is why it was discontinued.

... adding phosphates to detergents should be done only when necessary. ...

Wife's been using some packaged stuff "Electrosal" or something like
that. Probably expensive by the above definition but seems to work
pretty well to avoid spotting in our _very_ hard water and since there's
only the two of us and she does the shopping and it runs only a few
times a week at most, I don't really consider cost a factor...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 May 2014 17:22:32 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/9/2014 4:24 PM, sms wrote:

... Commercial use of phosphates in
dishwasher detergent is allowed because restaurants need their dishes to
be clean.

And we at home don't????

It is commercial and institutions that are allowed. Institutions have
greater lobbying clout than homeowners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Commercial machines clean in minutes while the new high efficiency home
machines take four or more hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2014 5:11 PM, sms wrote:

None of the currently available consumer dishwasher detergents work well
without doing something like you do with the TSP.

Cascade Platinum. Everything comes out perfect in my KA machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 5/9/2014 4:24 PM, sms wrote:

... Commercial use of phosphates in
dishwasher detergent is allowed because restaurants need their dishes to
be clean.

And we at home don't????

It is commercial and institutions that are allowed. Institutions have
greater lobbying clout than homeowners.

I think that there is a greater fear of spreading disease. The Finish
brand institutional packs with phosphates are also popular at rental
condos and hotels with in-suite dishwashers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 May 2014 08:09:53 -0700, sms
wrote:

Cascade has dropped their commercial dishwasher detergent sold by
ReStockit and Amazon. Finish still makes one that works but it's very
difficult to purchase and quite expensive per load (about 72¢).

I've been looking at homemade alternatives as the retail dishwasher
detergents don't work well http://www.jillcataldo.com/phosphatedetergents.

There are a lot of recipes out there. The one that seems to be the most
widely acclaimed to work well is this one:

76 ounces Borate Powder (20 Mule Team Borax) (Walmart)
55 ounces Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer) (Walmart) Not baking soda.
1 1/3 TSP cup (Home Depot) Be sure to get the real TSP.
4 ounces Citric Acid (Amazon) Buy in 5 pound bag.
2 cups Vaseline Intensive Care moisturizing beads (Walmart)
64 ounces Canning Salt or Kosher Salt 4 pounds

I was disappointed in several of the commercial DW detergents and
started adding TSP. Then I decided to try the CostCo DW "pods" and
found that they work quite well. Don't even bother with the TSP
anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2014 4:08 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
There are a lot of recipes out there. The one that seems to be the most

widely acclaimed to work well is this one:

We use Cascade and throw in a teaspoonful of real TSP with every load.

Paul

Watch TSP taken off the market, now.
Thanks, guys.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2014 5:24 PM, sms wrote:
The waste water plants don't like phosphates in waste water
because it's costly to get rid of it. So adding phosphates to detergents
should be done only when necessary. Commercial use of phosphates in
dishwasher detergent is allowed because restaurants need their dishes to
be clean.

And what does that say about the rest of us?
Pass the slimy, greasy dirty plate, dear.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2014 6:22 PM, dpb wrote:
On 5/9/2014 4:24 PM, sms wrote:

... Commercial use of phosphates in
dishwasher detergent is allowed because restaurants need their dishes to
be clean.

And we at home don't????

--

Heck, no. Pass the slime, bubba.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2014 06:22 PM, dpb wrote:
On 5/9/2014 4:24 PM, sms wrote:

... Commercial use of phosphates in
dishwasher detergent is allowed because restaurants need their dishes to
be clean.

And we at home don't????

Senator Pocketstuffer wants clean plates at the Graft and Corruption
Country Club where he dines daily.

Did you ever wonder why you can only buy a 2.5 GPM shower head yet
Senator Pocketstuffer can spew a hundred gallons per minute onto his
palatial lawn?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2014 10:07 PM, dpb wrote:

It is commercial and institutions that are allowed. Institutions have
greater lobbying clout than homeowners.

I think that there is a greater fear of spreading disease. The Finish
brand institutional packs with phosphates are also popular at rental
condos and hotels with in-suite dishwashers.

Rhetorical????

Nah, disease is OK if kept in the family.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sms wrote:
Cascade has dropped their commercial dishwasher detergent sold by
ReStockit and Amazon. Finish still makes one that works but it's very
difficult to purchase and quite expensive per load (about 72¢).

I've been looking at homemade alternatives as the retail dishwasher
detergents don't work well
http://www.jillcataldo.com/phosphatedetergents.

There are a lot of recipes out there. The one that seems to be the most
widely acclaimed to work well is this one:

76 ounces Borate Powder (20 Mule Team Borax) (Walmart)
55 ounces Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer) (Walmart) Not baking soda.
1 1/3 TSP cup (Home Depot) Be sure to get the real TSP.
4 ounces Citric Acid (Amazon) Buy in 5 pound bag.
2 cups Vaseline Intensive Care moisturizing beads (Walmart)
64 ounces Canning Salt or Kosher Salt 4 pounds

Hi,
What kinda dish washing you do? Have hard water problem?
A DW not working well for some reason? We have Bosch
washer with Finish Platinum or Bosch detergent. always
works very well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
On 5/9/2014 1:24 PM, nestork wrote:

It's been my experience that companies will never discontinue a product
that makes a profit. If this commercial version of Cascade is being
discontinued, it's almost certainly because it's not selling well, ...

Used to be that was pretty much true. Any more, it's just as likely (if
not more so) that the problem is encroaching EPA or other reg's either
outlaw an ingredient or make the production exorbitantly expensive or
the like.

--

Hi,
IMO, more likely so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 May 2014 20:24:50 +0200, nestork
wrote:

The 17 year olds that stock the shelves in your local supermarket will
know what seems to be moving off the shelves the fastest.

....with adequate supervision form those ordering the products for
stocking shelves
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

The 17 year olds that stock the shelves in your local supermarket will
know what seems to be moving off the shelves the fastest.

...with adequate supervision form those ordering the products for
stocking shelves

At my local supermarket, I would guess the computer system knows a lot about
what is going out the door, what needs to be ordered, and so forth. There
might be a political correctness override since the market stocks a
selection of Hispanic items in a region noticeably light on Hispanics. U
can't think those Virgin of Guadalupe votive candles move well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The 17 year olds that stock the shelves in your local supermarket will
know what seems to be moving off the shelves the fastest.

...with adequate supervision form those ordering the products for
stocking shelves

What is an adequate supervision form? An inventory method?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The 17 year olds that stock the shelves in your local supermarket will
know what seems to be moving off the shelves the fastest.

...with adequate supervision form those ordering the products for
stocking shelves

What is an adequate supervision form? An inventory method?

Yes. A to and from form. Don't you know that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The 17 year olds that stock the shelves in your local supermarket will
know what seems to be moving off the shelves the fastest.

...with adequate supervision form those ordering the products for
stocking shelves

What is an adequate supervision form? An inventory method?

Yes. A to and from form. Don't you know that?

No, never heard of an adequate supervision form. Google didn't turn up much either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The 17 year olds that stock the shelves in your local supermarket will
know what seems to be moving off the shelves the fastest.

...with adequate supervision form those ordering the products for
stocking shelves

What is an adequate supervision form? An inventory method?

Yes. A to and from form. Don't you know that?

No, never heard of an adequate supervision form. Google didn't turn up much either.

Must be Google. I'd not trust Google. Some people do. They swear by
it. Not me, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 5/9/2014 2:14 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Fri, 09 May 2014 14:47:54 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/9/2014 1:24 PM, nestork wrote:

It's been my experience that companies will never discontinue a product
that makes a profit. If this commercial version of Cascade is being
discontinued, it's almost certainly because it's not selling well, ...

Used to be that was pretty much true. Any more, it's just as likely (if
not more so) that the problem is encroaching EPA or other reg's either
outlaw an ingredient or make the production exorbitantly expensive or
the like.

Considering that the product that the OP likes contained phosphates, I'm
sure that is why it was discontinued.

Phosphates are still legal in many states for consumer use, and in most
states for commercial use. But that means making two different formulas
and stocking different formulas in different areas. It also presents a
marketing dilemma--how do you explain why the phosphate-free version is
acceptable when you're marketing one with phosphates where it's allowed.

In areas with mainly septic tanks you don't want to be using phosphate
based products. In areas with sewers, the wastewater is treated to
remove the phosphates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sms" wrote in message
Cascade has dropped their commercial dishwasher detergent sold by
ReStockit and Amazon. Finish still makes one that works but it's very
difficult to purchase and quite expensive per load (about 72¢).

I've been looking at homemade alternatives as the retail dishwasher
detergents don't work well
http://www.jillcataldo.com/phosphatedetergents.

There are a lot of recipes out there. The one that seems to be the most
widely acclaimed to work well is this one:

76 ounces Borate Powder (20 Mule Team Borax) (Walmart)
55 ounces Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer) (Walmart) Not baking soda.
1 1/3 TSP cup (Home Depot) Be sure to get the real TSP.
4 ounces Citric Acid (Amazon) Buy in 5 pound bag.
2 cups Vaseline Intensive Care moisturizing beads (Walmart)
64 ounces Canning Salt or Kosher Salt 4 pounds

Before mixing up somethng with quite a lot of ingredients, you might try
adding a little TSP to whatever dishwasher deteregent you normally use. I
have found that running the dishwasher empty with a little citric acid
(Lemi-Fresh) before using it once or twice as directed with a regular load
works really well. The citric acid is also not toxic so you can keep it
around without taking extraordinary precaitioins.

God Luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 May 2014 04:54:15 -0700, Baron wrote:

...snip....

Before mixing up somethng with quite a lot of ingredients, you might
try
adding a little TSP to whatever dishwasher deteregent you normally use.
have found that running the dishwasher empty with a little citric acid
(Lemi-Fresh) before using it once or twice as directed with a regular
load
works really well. The citric acid is also not toxic so you can keep it
around without taking extraordinary precaitioins.

a 'heads up'....

Years ago an outlet chain called Lucky's grocery stores carried an
excellent dishwashing product called FINISH. We had found that unlike
Cascade, in our water and system [plus Jet-Dri] produced spotless, clean
glassware. So we ecstatic when the price was dropped to half as a special.
and being discontinued at the store. We stocked up.

Then, upon using the product the glassware suddenly came out with what
looked like water spots all over them. Very irritating because this was
wedding glassware [goblets, wine glases, etc, imported from Sweden, and
not replaceable, as also discontinued] and has special value. Wash again,
but the spots NEVER came off. Looked like calcium deposits. I tried
everything including mechanically trying to remove to no avail. Later
found out that the dishwashing product had ETCHED the glassware !! Upon
calling Finish found out that 'old' shelf life product will sometimes etch
glass! Say what ?! They claim that they had stopped shipping to Lucky's
years before and that product was probably Lucky's attempt to dump their
stock, clear it out. But, according to Finish employee, old product has
the ability to ruin glass.

So heads up.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 5/12/2014 4:54 AM, Baron wrote:
"sms" wrote in message
[...]

As long as I have to mix stuff I'd rather just do it from scratch and
save money. The homemade stuff is about half the price of what I was
paying for the Cascade professional product.

Citric acid must be one of the most expensive powders when repackaged.
In a bulk 5 pound bag it's about 20¢/ounce. In little packets it's about
$2 per ounce.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sms" wrote in message
Cascade has dropped their commercial dishwasher detergent sold by
ReStockit and Amazon. Finish still makes one that works but it's very
difficult to purchase and quite expensive per load (about 72¢).

I've been looking at homemade alternatives as the retail dishwasher
detergents don't work well
http://www.jillcataldo.com/phosphatedetergents.

There are a lot of recipes out there. The one that seems to be the most
widely acclaimed to work well is this one:

76 ounces Borate Powder (20 Mule Team Borax) (Walmart)
55 ounces Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer) (Walmart) Not baking soda.
1 1/3 TSP cup (Home Depot) Be sure to get the real TSP.
4 ounces Citric Acid (Amazon) Buy in 5 pound bag.
2 cups Vaseline Intensive Care moisturizing beads (Walmart)
64 ounces Canning Salt or Kosher Salt 4 pounds

No, no. Just add pinch of Koshihikari Japonica style. You will like

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 May 2014 11:18:01 -0700, sms
wrote:

As long as I have to mix stuff I'd rather just do it from scratch and
save money. The homemade stuff is about half the price of what I was
paying for the Cascade professional product.

Citric acid must be one of the most expensive powders when repackaged.
In a bulk 5 pound bag it's about 20¢/ounce. In little packets it's about
$2 per ounce.

Don't forget to add in the cost of going to any stores that are an
extra trip, etc. Do you put a value on your time for labor?