Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pole mount for solar array

Hi All,

I've got to install a pole mount for a solar array. The manufacturer
says to use 5" schedule 40 steel pipe (5 9/16" OD). The hole is
specified as:

54" deep
30" diameter
..81 cubic feet of concrete

Do I need to weld any kind of rebar to the bottom of the pipe?? What
kinds of coating would be best before pouring concrete? Of course, I'll
be sloping the top of the concrete for water drainage.

I'm assuming that I need the concrete poured under the pipe opening ....
so what do I use as a standoff to raise the pipe off the bottom of the
hole? Should I cap the end of the pipe encased in concrete?

I was planning on building a 2x4 wood collar above ground, along with
diagonal 2x4's for ground support to maintain vertical until the concrete
cures.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Carata wrote:
[...]

Hi,
How big is the arrray? Wind load? weight? When I installed basket ball
goal post was similar situation. No rebar, I filled the pipe with
concrete about half height, My kids are all grown up now, the pole still
stands rock solid. Wife let me install a cross bar so she can hang
flower baskets during summer time, LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 09:00:25 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
How big is the arrray? Wind load? weight? When I installed basket ball
goal post was similar situation. No rebar, I filled the pipe with
concrete about half height, My kids are all grown up now, the pole still
stands rock solid. Wife let me install a cross bar so she can hang
flower baskets during summer time, LOL!

Hi,

There will be two pole mount arrays. Each pole will carry (4) 265W
panels. I don't know the weight or wind loading calcs as all the
engineering was done by the company for a Florida install. The panels
are not heavy at all.

I hope my mount is as strong as yours sounds!

Posted to alt.home.repair

There will be two pole mount arrays. Each pole will carry (4) 265W

panels.

Using rough numbers like 1kW for 5 hours a day = 5kHh at $.20 per kWh will save you about $1 per day in your electric bill.

How do you justify this expense?

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of alternative energy and I would love to install PV but I can't justify the cost vs payback.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

There will be two pole mount arrays. Each pole will carry (4) 265W

panels.

Using rough numbers like 1kW for 5 hours a day = 5kHh at $.20 per kWh will
save you about $1 per day in your electric bill.

How do you justify this expense?

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of alternative energy and I would
love to install PV but I can't justify the cost vs payback.

Mark

It will take a while to go through this page. It is by a person I know that
is into the solar power.
https://www.kenclifton.com/wordpress/

I have sat in a presentation or two of his at a local ham radio club. The
justification of his is about a 8 year payback. At the time he installed
his system there was a big tax break, not sure if it is still in effect or
not. Then his system starts putting power back into the grid at the same
charge as the power company charges. This goes on from the time the sun
comes up and goes down.

In other words he uses the power company like a big storage battery. While
no one is at home during the day the system runs his power meter backwards
most of the day. Then at night he uses the power. That makes most of his
power 'free'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Carata wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 09:00:25 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
How big is the arrray? Wind load? weight? When I installed basket ball
goal post was similar situation. No rebar, I filled the pipe with
concrete about half height, My kids are all grown up now, the pole still
stands rock solid. Wife let me install a cross bar so she can hang
flower baskets during summer time, LOL!

Hi,

There will be two pole mount arrays. Each pole will carry (4) 265W
panels. I don't know the weight or wind loading calcs as all the
engineering was done by the company for a Florida install. The panels
are not heavy at all.

I hope my mount is as strong as yours sounds!

Hi,
Even if the actual weight is not much, if the total area of panel is
big, the wind load will matter. I used more or less 1 cu. ft. of
concrete I mixed and poured for the pole. I have 1.5 Kw array on the
roof which was installed with govt. subsidy. Without it, I wouldn't
have it installed. I will have never recovered to total cost until I
die, LOL! It does not have battery back up, just inverter feeding the
grid back and forth. I can monitor what is going on on my computer
because the controller is tied to my router. Is it self tracking panels?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Carata wrote:
[...]

I'd be tempted to fill the pipe with concrete also. It could be worth asking the
manufacturere about that possibility. It would make the pipe nearly un-bendable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/28/2014 11:49 AM, Daniel Carata wrote:

I could be totally wrong, but I can't calculate a payback curve for
electric power.

Add this to your formula if you live in Oklahoma,

A solar surcharge bill was just signed by the governor of Oklahoma,
which would charge a fee for people who install solar panels on their
roofs, and are still attached to the grid. Apparently, utilities in that
state feel threatened by the free energy from the sun, and maybe they
are afraid that the entire state will turn to solar.

Read mo
http://www.benzinga.com/trading-idea...#ixzz30Hkpxgk7
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 13:34:53 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Even if the actual weight is not much, if the total area of panel is
big, the wind load will matter. I used more or less 1 cu. ft. of
concrete I mixed and poured for the pole. I have 1.5 Kw array on the
roof which was installed with govt. subsidy. Without it, I wouldn't have
it installed. I will have never recovered to total cost until I die,
LOL! It does not have battery back up, just inverter feeding the grid
back and forth. I can monitor what is going on on my computer because
the controller is tied to my router. Is it self tracking panels?

No; this is not a tracking mount. Also, this is an off-grid system and
will use batteries for local storage.

If electricity rates skyrocket, your payback date might just change
radically.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:25:41 AM UTC-4, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
On 4/28/2014 11:49 AM, Daniel Carata wrote:

I could be totally wrong, but I can't calculate a payback curve for

electric power.

Add this to your formula if you live in Oklahoma,

A solar surcharge bill was just signed by the governor of Oklahoma,

which would charge a fee for people who install solar panels on their

roofs, and are still attached to the grid. Apparently, utilities in that

state feel threatened by the free energy from the sun, and maybe they

are afraid that the entire state will turn to solar.

Read mo

http://www.benzinga.com/trading-idea...#ixzz30Hkpxgk7

That's interesting, first I've heard of it. But to be fair, they
probably have it right. My electric bill is about half for the energy
itself, the other half is for distribution. If you put up a solar array,
providing most or all of your power, then you're not paying a similar
amount to your neighbor, who has no solar array, ie you're not helping
to pay for the massive distribution system. And at night, without that
distribution system, you'd have no power.