Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using weed killer

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:58:06 -0400, micky
wrote:

I was late this year because it's been cold, and I used the second half
of the bottle yesterday, hoping it would kill dandelions that had
already bloomed. They didn't look different 24 hours later. I'll
look tomorrow.

Planned to spray on more today,

I forgot why I was going to spray twice in two days.

It rained last night, not sure how much, but i'm sure some of my
spraying got washed off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

Be careful when reading the warnings. Reading in dim light may be
harmful to your eyes.

You're not kidding. In very small black print on a dark green background.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Apr 2014 17:31:21 GMT, KenK wrote:

micky wrote in
:

Be careful when reading the warnings. Reading in dim light may be
harmful to your eyes.

You're not kidding. In very small black print on a dark green background.

Yeah, I wonder who chooses the colors. I bought a digital meter from
Amazon with, for a couple settings, dark green writing on a black
background, and even though I turned on a bright light and saw what they
are, under normal conditions, I can't see enough to remind me.

Do you think the light is different in China?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:58:06 -0400, micky
wrote:

There is little info on the bottle and that is mostly warnings.

Be careful when reading the warnings. Reading in dim light may be
harmful to your eyes.

BTW, the joke was that he complained about all the warnings, so I warned
him about the warnings.

I was late this year because it's been cold, and I used the second half
of the Ortho weed-b-gon bottle yesterday, hoping it would kill dandelions that had
already bloomed. They didn't look different 24 hours later. I'll
look tomorrow.

Tomorrow became today and I looked.

Almost half of the dandelions are drooping, and the others may be
drooping by tomorrow. At first I thought new ones had opened since
yesterday, and maybe they have, but I also saw those about to open that
were drooping badly. So even the new ones are likely to die, I think.

I guess I've never used weed poison whilie the dandelions were
flowering, because I thought they were invincible. But they're not.

Some rain today and tomorrow. I will spray on Sunday.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Apr 2014 18:05:57 GMT, KenK wrote:

What am I doing wrong? Any guesses? Maybe it takes longer to affect them?
You have to really soak them?

I just followed the instructions, although I guess I did give extra
sparying to big ugly weeds. . It's hard to judge or to calculate how
big my yard is (It's 5-sided) but somewhere along the line I figured
2500 feet, a half bottle, and I sprayed moderately so I did the yard in
a half bottle. Maybe that's what I liked about Ortho, that you can
tell how much you've used.

Some of the big ugly weeds were wilting today, 24 hours after spraying.
A competitor claims it will be dying in 6 hours, but they probably spray
it on watercress or something delicate. Anyhow, I'm not in that much
of a hurry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

they probably spray
it on watercress

Before or after they make the salad?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message

I picked up a container of Ortho 'Weed B Gon' to control
some weeds around my property.

First I tried it out on a few isolated smaller ones to
see how it worked. I squirted them a few days ago. They
still seem to be healthy though a couple have a few
shriveled leaves. I had expected them to be totally dead
in a day or so.

What am I doing wrong? Any guesses? Maybe it takes longer
to affect them? You have to really soak them?

You aren't doing anything wrong, your expectations are just too high.

First, the leaves shrivel, then the stem. In a month or so it will be gone.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 25, 2014 6:29:16 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"KenK" wrote in message

I picked up a container of Ortho 'Weed B Gon' to control

some weeds around my property.

First I tried it out on a few isolated smaller ones to

see how it worked. I squirted them a few days ago. They

still seem to be healthy though a couple have a few

shriveled leaves. I had expected them to be totally dead

in a day or so.

What am I doing wrong? Any guesses? Maybe it takes longer

to affect them? You have to really soak them?

You aren't doing anything wrong, your expectations are just too high.

First, the leaves shrivel, then the stem. In a month or so it will be gone.

And as others have said, temperature plays a big role. If it's 70s
and the weeds are actively growing, it's going to kill them faster
and more effectively than if it's 40F. Even in the best of times
you're not going to see them totally dead in just a few days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in :

You aren't doing anything wrong, your expectations are just too high.

First, the leaves shrivel, then the stem. In a month or so it will be
gone.

Thanks. Live and learn.

How does weed killer work? Stan Brown Home Ownership 0 May 20th 12 02:15 PM
What is most available, easy to use weed killer? Robert Macy[_2_] Home Repair 33 April 23rd 12 04:06 AM
Weed killer ... ?? Arfa Daily UK diy 47 May 29th 11 08:25 PM
Weed Killer ROANIN[_2_] Home Repair 41 October 1st 10 02:19 AM
spot weed killer? tenplay Home Repair 32 July 7th 10 05:32 PM