Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is most available, easy to use weed killer?

Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? Oh, and most readily available.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/19/2012 12:43 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? Oh, and most readily available.

Not sure there is any "most" there...2,4-D though would probably come
closest for both for broadleaf-selective. There are any number on the
shelves at any box or hardware or garden store.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "tuber type" weed...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know if my bottle of Roundup went weak, or the plants developed
resistance. The stuff doesn't work as well, this year. Next, I try gasoline.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? Oh, and most readily available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? *Oh, and most readily available.

I assume he wants to kill everything, ie it's not an area
with grass, flowers, etc. In that case, next question is
do you want:

A - something that works on what's there and that will not keep
anything new from growing, where you could plant
new stuff in a week. Roundup or similar glyphosate
product.

B - something that works on what's there, is stronger,
more effective, but you can't plant anything for awhile.
One of the brush killer products

C - something that will kill what's there and is persistent so it will
prevent anything from growing for months.
One of the extended season long control products.

Since it's trees, if possible, I'd probably go with B

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert wrote in message
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? Oh, and most readily available.

I've had luck with bleach, pouring it on unwanted hard to kill shrub
trees and spraying it on selected leaves and plants.

With the trees, I've drilled holes in the trunk about 4 inches deep,
just to make sure the bleach soaks in good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, I'll try that. I've got some of that, and some ammonia.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Duesenberg" wrote in message

I've had luck with bleach, pouring it on unwanted hard to kill shrub
trees and spraying it on selected leaves and plants.

With the trees, I've drilled holes in the trunk about 4 inches deep,
just to make sure the bleach soaks in good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:34:13 -0400, Duesenberg wrote:

I've had luck with bleach, pouring it on unwanted hard to kill shrub
trees and spraying it on selected leaves and plants.

Thanks. never thought of that one.
I'll try that in my driveway cracks.
Gasoline and used motor hasn't worked for long.

--
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

sounds perfect! name of product?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert *wrote in message
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? *Oh, and most readily available.

I've had luck with bleach, pouring it on unwanted hard to kill shrub
trees and spraying it on selected leaves and plants.

With the trees, I've drilled holes in the trunk about 4 inches deep,
just to make sure the bleach soaks in good.

That was my first thought, too.

But these @#$@#$% weeds have a bulb way deep and seemed to turn the
water in the bleach into plain water and turned green and started
flourishing!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 4:57*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Thanks, I'll try that. I've got some of that, and some ammonia.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Duesenberg" wrote in message

I've had luck with bleach, pouring it on unwanted hard to kill shrub
trees and spraying it on selected leaves and plants.

With the trees, I've drilled holes in the trunk about 4 inches deep,
just to make sure the bleach soaks in good.

Yup, try that mixture of bleach and ammonia. It's great stuff you can
even get rid of your garage with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 6:14*pm, Robert Macy wrote:

wrote:
[...]

sounds perfect! name of product?- Hide quoted text -

I'd say, as others, Roundup, if you want to kill everything. If you
don't want to harm grass, I like Ortho Weed-B-Gone Max.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Duesenberg wrote:

With the trees, I've drilled holes in the trunk about 4 inches deep,
just to make sure the bleach soaks in good.

Yes, because we have far too many trees on this planet...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I don't know if my bottle of Roundup went weak, or the plants
developed resistance. The stuff doesn't work as well, this year. Next,
I try gasoline.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
.
.. Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? Oh, and most readily available.

Bayer Garden, also named Clear-up 360 N.
Also kills the roots.
Contains glysofaat, 360 grams/liter.
For spraying use a 1 in 100 dilution.
28.50 Euro for half a liter, enough to spray 1000 square meter.

It blocks the intake of water, and plants wither away in 2-3 days.
Does not inhibit newly seeded/planted stuf.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Thanks, I'll try that. I've got some of that, and some ammonia.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Duesenberg" wrote in message

I've had luck with bleach, pouring it on unwanted hard to kill shrub
trees and spraying it on selected leaves and plants.

With the trees, I've drilled holes in the trunk about 4 inches deep,
just to make sure the bleach soaks in good.

Yup, try that mixture of bleach and ammonia. It's great stuff you can
even get rid of your garage with it.

Don't know about getting rid of a garage but if you don't like your lungs, the
mix will sure solve that problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2012 10:43 AM, Robert Macy wrote:
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? Oh, and most readily available.

Not clear what you're trying to kill or what you plan to do with the
land after.

As I understand it, Roundup decomposes fairly rapidly in soil.
Good if you're gonna replant. Bad if you want to really KILL some stuff.

Understand what kind of weeds you have.

I had patches of orchard grass (I think) in my lawn.
I got clever and painted weed killer on individual leaves
of the offending grass. Not sure the brand, I picked the stuff
at Home Depot with the biggest warning label.
Thought I was clever...

Well, it turns out that the patches were all connected
by the root system. In a week, my lawn looked like
a brown road map on green paper.

Still can't think of a better way to do it, but I was
surprised at the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2012 7:29 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
"Stormin wrote in
:

"Robert wrote in message
.
.. Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? Oh, and most readily available.

Bayer Garden, also named Clear-up 360 N.
Also kills the roots.
Contains glysofaat, 360 grams/liter.
For spraying use a 1 in 100 dilution.
28.50 Euro for half a liter, enough to spray 1000 square meter.

It blocks the intake of water, and plants wither away in 2-3 days.
Does not inhibit newly seeded/planted stuf.

Tried Bayer last summer, it just kills grass - weeds laugh at it, get
Ortho which actually works and doesn't kill the grass.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:49:25 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 4/19/2012 12:43 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? Oh, and most readily available.

Not sure there is any "most" there...2,4-D though would probably come
closest for both for broadleaf-selective. There are any number on the
shelves at any box or hardware or garden store.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "tuber type" weed...

Round up. Hands down. Ag strength - not the wattered down crap you
get at the borg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:57:33 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Thanks, I'll try that. I've got some of that, and some ammonia.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Not in the same hole, or you may be "seeing jesus" earlier than you
expect!!
www.lds.org
.

"Duesenberg" wrote in message

I've had luck with bleach, pouring it on unwanted hard to kill shrub
trees and spraying it on selected leaves and plants.

With the trees, I've drilled holes in the trunk about 4 inches deep,
just to make sure the bleach soaks in good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd been using Roundup brand. Tried some other brand I had, see if that
works better.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"John" wrote in message

Tried Bayer last summer, it just kills grass - weeds laugh at it, get
Ortho which actually works and doesn't kill the grass.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2012 12:43 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? Oh, and most readily available.

round up or any of it's clones.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert wrote in message
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? Oh, and most readily available.

I've had luck with bleach, pouring it on unwanted hard to kill shrub
trees and spraying it on selected leaves and plants.

With the trees, I've drilled holes in the trunk about 4 inches deep,
just to make sure the bleach soaks in good.

That was my first thought, too.

But these @#$@#$% weeds have a bulb way deep and seemed to turn the
water in the bleach into plain water and turned green and started
flourishing!

Roundup is the most effective KILL EVERYTHING herbicide...gotta be
careful not to spray on windy days, as it will drift and kill desirable
plants. Some plants with "waxy" leaves, like ivy, are hard for roundup
to penetrate and one can add a little detergent to it. Follow label
instructions! Best time is when stuff is actively growing. To make it
most effective, mow weeds if possible and then spray when new growth
appears; that way, the plant is taking up all of the spray and making
"less is more" work. You might also take a sample of the weed to county
extension agent for advice if Roundup doesn't work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Thanks, I'll try that. I've got some of that, and some ammonia.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Duesenberg" wrote in message

I've had luck with bleach, pouring it on unwanted hard to kill shrub
trees and spraying it on selected leaves and plants.

With the trees, I've drilled holes in the trunk about 4 inches deep,
just to make sure the bleach soaks in good.

Yup, try that mixture of bleach and ammonia. *It's great stuff you can
even get rid of your garage with it.

Don't know about getting rid of a garage but if you don't like your lungs, the
mix will sure solve that problem.- Hide quoted text -

Nope, urban legend. Bleach and another household product ARE a deadly
mix, but I won't tell you which one in public. Though if you remember
high school level chemistry it should be obvious.

I use Roundup, for me it works fine even on poison ivy.

Last year though I was working on my daughter's car, and ended up
spilling small amounts of antifreeze. Killed everything near by. I
was surprised, I didn't think I spilled that much, or that the spots
would stay dead so long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 8:59*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:49:25 -0500, dpb wrote:
On 4/19/2012 12:43 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? *Oh, and most readily available.

Not sure there is any "most" there...2,4-D though would probably come
closest for both for broadleaf-selective. *There are any number on the
shelves at any box or hardware or garden store.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "tuber type" weed...

*Round up. Hands down. Ag strength - not the wattered down crap you
get at the borg.

There is no such thing as Ag strength Roundup. It's
sold as either ready to use or concentrated which you
then dilute to whatever strength you need or want. You
don't use the concentrate directly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 9:15*pm, dpb wrote:
On 4/19/2012 7:59 PM, wrote:

* Round up. Hands down. Ag strength - not the wattered down crap you
get at the borg.

It was implied that OP wanted a broadleaf, not systemic herbicide.

Maybe you read a different post. I didn't see anything
there that indicated he wanted a broadleaf selective
herbicide. Unless you think the weeds and scraggly small trees
he's trying to kill are in his lawn....

Being in production ag meself, I certainly understand and use very large
quantities of Roundup as well as 2,4-D and many others as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 10:49*am, dpb wrote:
On 4/19/2012 12:43 PM, Robert Macy wrote:

Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? *Oh, and most readily available.

Not sure there is any "most" there...2,4-D though would probably come
closest for both for broadleaf-selective. *There are any number on the
shelves at any box or hardware or garden store.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "tuber type" weed...

--

tuber, or tubor, or whatever, but it is a gargantuan root with a lot
of stored energy that can survive almost anything done to the foliage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 07:31:56 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 19, 8:59Â*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:49:25 -0500, dpb wrote:
On 4/19/2012 12:43 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? Â*Oh, and most readily available.

Not sure there is any "most" there...2,4-D though would probably come
closest for both for broadleaf-selective. Â*There are any number on the
shelves at any box or hardware or garden store.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "tuber type" weed...

Â*Round up. Hands down. Ag strength - not the wattered down crap you
get at the borg.

There is no such thing as Ag strength Roundup. It's
sold as either ready to use or concentrated which you
then dilute to whatever strength you need or want. You
don't use the concentrate directly.

Concentrated is what I referred to as "ag strength" because around
here you pretty well need to be a farmer or a licenced applicator to
buy anything but the severely diluted stuff.

For some applications it needs to be about twice as strong a mixture
to be effective.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Tried Bayer last summer, it just kills grass - weeds laugh at it, get
Ortho which actually works and doesn't kill the grass.

John

Try Trimec Classic
http://www.pbigordon.com/professiona...D_PRODUCTS=881
It works for Me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 4:47*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 4/20/2012 9:31 AM, wrote:

On Apr 19, 8:59 pm, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:49:25 -0500, *wrote:
On 4/19/2012 12:43 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? *Oh, and most readily available.

Not sure there is any "most" there...2,4-D though would probably come
closest for both for broadleaf-selective. *There are any number on the
shelves at any box or hardware or garden store.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "tuber type" weed...

* Round up. Hands down. Ag strength - not the wattered down crap you
get at the borg.

There is no such thing as Ag strength Roundup. *It's
sold as either ready to use or concentrated which you
then dilute to whatever strength you need or want. *You
don't use the concentrate directly.

there are several different strengths of the concentrate. *And there
most certainly IS a PRO strength available. *(if you're licensed to use it)

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

Yawn..... The "pro strength" is just the concentrate at
50%, which of course like all the concentrated versions
you dilute to the appropriate level prior to use. Now show
us where you have to be licensed to buy
or use it. Certainly not here in the peoples republic of NJ
where even Home Depot carries it. It's also available for
anyone to order online from a variety of retailers.

The point was that with any of the concentrated forms
you don't apply it as is. You dilute it to the appropriate
concentration for the application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you REALLY want to kill everything mix 50% roundup with 50% poision
ivy killer. this really kills vegetation dead, and is the only thing
that kills poision ivy on my front hillside.

I first tried to get a landscaper to do it with pro chemicals but they
insisted on killing everything....

including some stuff my mom planted shortly before she died........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 16:59:38 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 22, 4:47Â*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 4/20/2012 9:31 AM, wrote:

On Apr 19, 8:59 pm, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:49:25 -0500, Â*wrote:
On 4/19/2012 12:43 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and
general tubor type weeds.

What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed
killer? Â*Oh, and most readily available.

Not sure there is any "most" there...2,4-D though would probably come
closest for both for broadleaf-selective. Â*There are any number on the
shelves at any box or hardware or garden store.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "tuber type" weed...

Â* Round up. Hands down. Ag strength - not the wattered down crap you
get at the borg.

There is no such thing as Ag strength Roundup. Â*It's
sold as either ready to use or concentrated which you
then dilute to whatever strength you need or want. Â*You
don't use the concentrate directly.

there are several different strengths of the concentrate. Â*And there
most certainly IS a PRO strength available. Â*(if you're licensed to use it)

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

Yawn..... The "pro strength" is just the concentrate at
50%, which of course like all the concentrated versions
you dilute to the appropriate level prior to use. Now show
us where you have to be licensed to buy
or use it. Certainly not here in the peoples republic of NJ
where even Home Depot carries it. It's also available for
anyone to order online from a variety of retailers.

The point was that with any of the concentrated forms
you don't apply it as is. You dilute it to the appropriate
concentration for the application.

Need to be licenced in Ontario Canada, for one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 17:07:52 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

If you REALLY want to kill everything mix 50% roundup with 50% poision
ivy killer. this really kills vegetation dead, and is the only thing
that kills poision ivy on my front hillside.

I first tried to get a landscaper to do it with pro chemicals but they
insisted on killing everything....

including some stuff my mom planted shortly before she died........

Round up with a surfactant. Down and dirty is a couple spoonsful of
Diesel or Kero in a couple gallons of mix.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

The point was that with any of the concentrated forms
you don't apply it as is. You dilute it to the appropriate
concentration for the application.

And Roundup (or as its no longer patented - its far less expensive generic
equivilent) only acts on the leaf of the plant. Spraying it on the trunk, bark
or surrounding ground does nothing.

Weed killer ... ?? Arfa Daily UK diy 47 May 29th 11 08:25 PM
Weed Killer ROANIN[_2_] Home Repair 41 October 1st 10 02:19 AM
spot weed killer? tenplay Home Repair 32 July 7th 10 05:32 PM
DIY Weed Killer (Effective Stuff) Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk UK diy 58 May 13th 08 07:36 AM
Weed killer for driveway? RobertM Home Repair 28 April 18th 06 05:47 PM