Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Glass Block Windows

I need to replace four very old basement windows and was considering either regular windows or glass block. The windows haven't been opened in 30 or 40 years so glass block might be more secure.

I had an estimate from one window company; he said they don't do glass block windows anymore as they've changed a few years back and aren't as secure as real windows against break ins.

Is anyone aware of major recent changes in glass block design or is this just a sales pitch?

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
I need to replace four very old basement windows and was considering
either regular windows or glass block. The windows haven't been opened in
30 or 40 years so glass block might be more secure.

I had an estimate from one window company; he said they don't do glass
block windows anymore as they've changed a few years back and aren't as
secure as real windows against break ins.

Is anyone aware of major recent changes in glass block design or is this
just a sales pitch?

Paul

Even if there were "major" changes in glass block design, there are a few
other things to consider:

1 - Compared to what you have now, how much of a security improvement would
current glass block be, even if they aren't as secure as a "real window"?

2 - What are the odds that your house is going to be broken into? High
value neighborhood? High crime area? In other words, do you need to pay for
the extra security that a "real window" would supposedly provide? That's
assuming that real windows are more expensive...you didn't,t say.

3 - Look around the rest of your house. Is there easier access than through
the basement windows? You could put armor plating over the basement windows
but if they can get in through the garage or a sun parch, what's the point?

All I'm saying is that if you are truly concerned with security, you can't
just look at the basement window replacement as an isolated matter. There
are other items that come into play.
Posted to alt.home.repair

there are times ventilation can be useful, like painting basement walls with drylock..... the glass block vent windows arent big enough to do much of anything

burglars are lazy, its far easier and quicker to kick in a door, rather than mess with a basement window that might not open leaving shards of glass to get cut on.

glass block is espically attractive to older folks, it gives the illusion of safety
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2014 11:18 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 05:40:21 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

I need to replace four very old basement windows and was considering either regular windows or glass block. The windows haven't been opened in 30 or 40 years so glass block might be more secure.

I had an estimate from one window company; he said they don't do glass block windows anymore as they've changed a few years back and aren't as secure as real windows against break ins.

Is anyone aware of major recent changes in glass block design or is this just a sales pitch?

Paul

Maybe they are talking about the plastic "glass block" look alike that
is just glued together with silicone.

Real glass block is pretty tough if you put the reinforcing steel in
the mortar.
I have done quite a bit of it around here and the trick for amateurs
is not to try too much at one time. On a big window I only did 2
courses, let that set up, clean the block (not as easy as it sounds)
then when it is set, do 2 more.
A regular basement window could be done in one shot once you got a
feel for it but glass is not like brick and block. I tried those
plastic spacers but they were not that much help.

A number of years ago,I had the basement windows in my first row house
replaced with glass block. The company came and measured, then brought
the pre-assembled windows and installed them. FWIW, I liked them a lot.
I got their privacy pattern (vs clear) and the way the light diffused
through it really brightened up a dark basement. I also got the vents in
them. When I later moved to a different row house, I was happy to see
they already had glass block windows, but there were not vents so I had
those installed.

I just checked and there are several glass block companies in my area
advertising residential windows and talking about how secure they are,
so who knows why the OP's first company said that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 15:39:06 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

+1

My thought was, is there a need for egress from the basement window?
Sounds like the company changed policies - making more money
installing operating windows.

By "more secure" - define that for me

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:40:21 AM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
Is anyone aware of major recent changes in glass block design or is this just a sales pitch?

Paul

In theory glass is more slippery than a concrete block so mortar does not hold it as securely.

In practice the burglar is probably just going to kick in your back door anyway.

I think code probably requires egress from a basement. You're probably grandfathered, but you might want to consider whether it would ever be safer to have an operating window. One of my relatives recently filled the basement with smoke while cooking.!!! We could not clear it until we found basement windows that would open.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:39:06 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

I need to replace four very old basement windows and was considering

either regular windows or glass block. The windows haven't been opened in

30 or 40 years so glass block might be more secure.

I had an estimate from one window company; he said they don't do glass

block windows anymore as they've changed a few years back and aren't as

secure as real windows against break ins.

Is anyone aware of major recent changes in glass block design or is this

just a sales pitch?

Paul

Even if there were "major" changes in glass block design, there are a few

other things to consider:

1 - Compared to what you have now, how much of a security improvement would

current glass block be, even if they aren't as secure as a "real window"?

The current windows are about 40-50 years old; the frames are worn and could probably be kicked out easily. Plus they're drafty; I've had plastic sheeting stapled over them for several years to keep out the wind and snow.

2 - What are the odds that your house is going to be broken into? High

value neighborhood? High crime area? In other words, do you need to pay for

the extra security that a "real window" would supposedly provide? That's

assuming that real windows are more expensive...you didn't,t say.

Probably not much. We're a 15-acre sheep ranch with a development of a dozen or so McMansions on the south side. I'm sure there's more worth stealing over there than at our place. Anyone looking at our raggedy old barns and pick up truck would probably figure that it's inhabited by a cranky old man with a shotgun and a large, mean dog.

3 - Look around the rest of your house. Is there easier access than through

the basement windows? You could put armor plating over the basement windows

but if they can get in through the garage or a sun parch, what's the point?

I've been firming up things a little each year. At this point in time, the basement windows are probably the weakest point although the replacement is as much to keep out the wind and improve the looks as preventing break-ins..

All I'm saying is that if you are truly concerned with security, you can't

just look at the basement window replacement as an isolated matter. There

are other items that come into play.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:20:34 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:40:21 AM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:

Is anyone aware of major recent changes in glass block design or is this just a sales pitch?

Paul

In theory glass is more slippery than a concrete block so mortar does not hold it as securely.

In practice the burglar is probably just going to kick in your back door anyway.

I think code probably requires egress from a basement. You're probably grandfathered, but you might want to consider whether it would ever be safer to have an operating window. One of my relatives recently filled the basement with smoke while cooking.!!! We could not clear it until we found basement windows that would open.

Our house is built into a slight hill, so the basement door opens out into the yard, no steps to climb. The windows are less than 3' wide and 2' high; my wife may be able to squeeze through if she dragged the ladder over there but I'd need to go on a severe diet to do so. Opening the door airs it out quite well. No cooking down there, mainly storage and the tool room, but we do get odors in the wine cellar when I'm stomping grapes. They're pleasant odors, so I keep the door closed at those times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 13:26:08 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

Anyone looking at our raggedy old barns and pick up truck would probably figure that it's inhabited by a cranky old man with a shotgun and a large, mean dog.

I HEAR dat

My dog is armed and refuses to take his medication...

The best reason to have a gun, is because police can't be carried
around as easily.
--
I support a woman's right to choose whichever gun she wants
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 13:33:28 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

Our house is built into a slight hill, so the basement door opens out into the yard, no steps to climb. The windows are less than 3' wide and 2' high; my wife may be able to squeeze through if she dragged the ladder over there but I'd need to go on a severe diet to do so. Opening the door airs it out quite well. No cooking down there, mainly storage and the tool room, but we do get odors in the wine cellar when I'm stomping grapes. They're pleasant odors, so I keep the door closed at those times.

Sounds like a ranch style home, ground level exit through a garage
door into the garage or direct exit from the basement.

I'd say put whatever type window you want. Egress is not a problem.

.....polish your bullets

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our house is built into a slight hill, so the basement door opens out into the yard, no steps to climb. The windows are less than 3' wide and 2' high; my wife may be able to squeeze through if she dragged the ladder over there but I'd need to go on a severe diet to do so. Opening the door airs it out quite well. No cooking down there, mainly storage and the tool room, but we do get odors in the wine cellar when I'm stomping grapes. They're pleasant odors, so I keep the door closed at those times.

Sounds like a ranch style home, ground level exit through a garage

door into the garage or direct exit from the basement.

I'd say put whatever type window you want. Egress is not a problem.

....polish your bullets

Not really ranch. It started as a small farmhouse around 1930 and went through at least four, maybe five, major expansions over the years. Very strange and not always well thought out, in my opinion; for example, it has gable roofs, hip roofs, shed roofs, and flat roofs in different sections. Definitely unique, won't be mistaken as one of the McMansions.

The old part of the basement was underground, beneath the original house, but the newer part of the basement was built out into the open at one end, under one of the expansions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to replace four very old basement windows and was considering either regular windows or glass block. The windows haven't been opened in 30 or 40 years so glass block might be more secure.

I had an estimate from one window company; he said they don't do glass block windows anymore as they've changed a few years back and aren't as secure as real windows against break ins.

Is anyone aware of major recent changes in glass block design or is this just a sales pitch?

No window is secure unless it's got bars across it.
Glass block is just as "secure" as regular windows. Either one will
make noise when broken. With blocks a burglar can't see in, but
window shades of curtains do that with regular windows.
I went with sliders for my basement, except for the window over the
clothes dryer, which is glass blocks with one block being a vent
fitting.
I like being able to open the windows to air it out occasionally.
Basement flooded twice last year (record rains) and that came in
handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to replace four very old basement windows and was considering either regular windows or glass block. The windows haven't been opened in 30 or 40 years so glass block might be more secure.

Hey, if your windows haven't been opened in 30 or 40 years, how could
they be more secure than that?

But seriously, the first summer I owned my townhouse, someone kicked the
front door in. Didn't take anything, however. (Maybe the next
door dog whose barking every night at 11:15 and every morning at 6:45;
kept me from getting 8 hours sleep, scared him away.) The next day, I
reinforced the door frame as much as I could and installed the burglar
alarm.

Prior to my buying the house, when they were new or almost new, there
had been a string of burglaries by someone who went in through the
basement window. Somone thin. The owner put bars on the windows.
Pre-fab bars, in two sections, which pull open or push shut, depending
on how wide the opening is. Screwed to the 2x4's in the window frame
(or maybe the ones that hold the "wood" paneling in place) using hex
head lag screws. Actually they were too close to the window and it
only opened a little. I moved them in another 1/2 or 1 inch so the
moving half of the window would open all the way.

Come to think of it, the glass in half the window is plastic. Maybe
the guy broke into my house before I owned it, but he's certainly not
getting in now.

I had an estimate from one window company; he said they don't do glass block windows anymore as they've changed a few years back and aren't as secure as real windows against break ins.

Is anyone aware of major recent changes in glass block design or is this just a sales pitch?

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Probably not much. We're a 15-acre sheep ranch with a development of a doze=
n or so McMansions on the south side. I'm sure there's more worth stealing =
over there than at our place. Anyone looking at our raggedy old barns and p=
ick up truck would probably figure that it's inhabited by a cranky old man =
with a shotgun and a large, mean dog.

You should be worried about cattlemen. They hate sheep farmers. Some
times they buy McMansions to disguise themselves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:40:16 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

there are times ventilation can be useful, like painting basement walls with drylock..... the glass block vent windows arent big enough to do much of anything

burglars are lazy, its far easier and quicker to kick in a door, rather than mess with a basement window that might not open leaving shards of glass to get cut on.

See my post at the end.

glass block is espically attractive to older folks, it gives the illusion of safety

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our house is built into a slight hill, so the basement door opens out into =
the yard, no steps to climb. The windows are less than 3' wide and 2' high;=
my wife may be able to squeeze through if she dragged the ladder over ther=
e but I'd need to go on a severe diet to do so.

If the room is filled with smoke, I'm sure you'll be willing to diet
severely.

Opening the door airs it ou=
t quite well. No cooking down there, mainly storage and the tool room, but =
we do get odors in the wine cellar when I'm stomping grapes. They're pleasa=
nt odors, so I keep the door closed at those times.

O/T -- cutting glass block Robatoy[_2_] Woodworking 0 January 11th 10 05:59 PM
Basement windows -- glass block vs. awning [email protected] Home Repair 7 July 24th 08 01:41 AM
glass block windows / walls franz fripplfrappl Home Repair 2 May 24th 08 03:35 PM
Glass Block Windows Steve Home Repair 9 July 24th 05 12:42 PM
Glass Block Flooring Beartums Home Repair 5 March 23rd 05 08:50 PM