Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement windows -- glass block vs. awning

Have seven old wood windows to replace in my basement. They're roughly
33"w x 20"h. I'm not a big fan of the look of glass block but do
appreciate the security they provide in our urban environment, as well
as their energy efficiency. However, the only way I'd even consider
glass blocks is with good-sized vent windows so there goes some of the
efficiency.

I really want the ability to open the basement windows easily -- we
spend most of our time down here and enjoy fresh air-- so I thought
awning (casements mounted horizontally) windows might be a good
compromise. They would't be as easy to forcibly enter as sliders
(horizontal double-hungs) -- or am I kidding myself?

There's also the matter of privacy. I could do without window
treatments with occluded glass blocks; have to do something to cover
the awnings, especially since I'm on a corner.

So I'm looking for opinions on the pros and cons of good quality
awning-style vinyl windows vs. glass blocks with large vent openings.

TIA,
~JMA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 1:02*am, wrote:
[...]

Hopper windows with frosted film on the glass would be about the best
choice in your situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 7:38�am, "SteveB" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Local code may not allow you to use glass block. You might be required
to use windows that open to provide for emergency access. Check with
your permitting office before you decide what to do.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

you must have ventilation in a basement, and security wise any home is
just as fortified as the weakest glass window, or poor door lock.

most burglars want to get in and out fast, no climb thru a hard to
access basement.

the vents in glass blocks are a joke.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I went with glass block; in our subdivision lots of home break-ins
through the basement windows as they were easy to pop out. Very happy
with them, but my circumstances are different from yours. Half the
basement is a couple of feet underground and the windows only open
onto those round ventilation holes anyway; no window coverings
necessary. In fact, glass block improved the aesthetics of the
situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:19:16 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:
Hopper windows with frosted film on the glass would be about the best
choice in your situation.

Hadn't thought of those and they're certainly similar enough
functionally yet more economical than awnings. Do they stay put at the
desired opening width? From photos it seems they're either shut or
fully open -- no in-between.

Hoppers look like a good option so it'll probably come down to how
much I want to spend on the greater aesthetic appeal -- in my eyes,
anyway -- of awnings.

~JMA

glass block windows / walls franz fripplfrappl Home Repair 2 May 24th 08 03:35 PM
Glass Block Windows Steve Home Repair 9 July 24th 05 12:42 PM
AC units for awning-type windows? pj Home Ownership 0 June 17th 05 04:50 PM
Glass Block Flooring Beartums Home Repair 5 March 23rd 05 08:50 PM
Glass block walls Lenny Brown UK diy 1 October 9th 03 08:24 PM