Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_8_] SteveB[_8_] is offline

Default Basement windows -- glass block vs. awning

wrote:

Have seven old wood windows to replace in my basement. They're roughly
33"w x 20"h. I'm not a big fan of the look of glass block but do
appreciate the security they provide in our urban environment, as well
as their energy efficiency. However, the only way I'd even consider
glass blocks is with good-sized vent windows so there goes some of the
efficiency.

I really want the ability to open the basement windows easily -- we
spend most of our time down here and enjoy fresh air-- so I thought
awning (casements mounted horizontally) windows might be a good
compromise. They would't be as easy to forcibly enter as sliders
(horizontal double-hungs) -- or am I kidding myself?

There's also the matter of privacy. I could do without window
treatments with occluded glass blocks; have to do something to cover
the awnings, especially since I'm on a corner.

So I'm looking for opinions on the pros and cons of good quality
awning-style vinyl windows vs. glass blocks with large vent openings.

Local code may not allow you to use glass block. You might be required
to use windows that open to provide for emergency access. Check with
your permitting office before you decide what to do.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement