Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Glass Block Windows

Pavel314 wrote:
I need to replace four very old basement windows and was considering
either regular windows or glass block. The windows haven't been opened in
30 or 40 years so glass block might be more secure.

I had an estimate from one window company; he said they don't do glass
block windows anymore as they've changed a few years back and aren't as
secure as real windows against break ins.

Is anyone aware of major recent changes in glass block design or is this
just a sales pitch?

Paul

Even if there were "major" changes in glass block design, there are a few
other things to consider:

1 - Compared to what you have now, how much of a security improvement would
current glass block be, even if they aren't as secure as a "real window"?

2 - What are the odds that your house is going to be broken into? High
value neighborhood? High crime area? In other words, do you need to pay for
the extra security that a "real window" would supposedly provide? That's
assuming that real windows are more expensive...you didn't,t say.

3 - Look around the rest of your house. Is there easier access than through
the basement windows? You could put armor plating over the basement windows
but if they can get in through the garage or a sun parch, what's the point?

All I'm saying is that if you are truly concerned with security, you can't
just look at the basement window replacement as an isolated matter. There
are other items that come into play.