Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Glass Block Windows

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 05:40:21 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

I need to replace four very old basement windows and was considering either regular windows or glass block. The windows haven't been opened in 30 or 40 years so glass block might be more secure.

I had an estimate from one window company; he said they don't do glass block windows anymore as they've changed a few years back and aren't as secure as real windows against break ins.

Is anyone aware of major recent changes in glass block design or is this just a sales pitch?

No window is secure unless it's got bars across it.
Glass block is just as "secure" as regular windows. Either one will
make noise when broken. With blocks a burglar can't see in, but
window shades of curtains do that with regular windows.
I went with sliders for my basement, except for the window over the
clothes dryer, which is glass blocks with one block being a vent
fitting.
I like being able to open the windows to air it out occasionally.
Basement flooded twice last year (record rains) and that came in
handy.