Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Maple tree 3 feet from house

I have a tiny lot, 1/20th of an acre, iirc, including the space the
house is on. It's a town house, end of group.

The first owner did great landscaping but some things have died.

I've planted some stuff myself, but I really like it when trees grow on
their own.

One tulip tree is about 40 feet tall now, at the edge of the property.

And a second tulip tree has reached 8 feet in only 3 years. It will be
a good replacement for a pine tree nearby which grew funny and has had
most of its limbs broken off by snow. and is probably going to die. .

And a third tree has started growning, also about 3 years ago. This
maple is only 3 or 4 feet tall now, but the problem is, maybe, that it's
only 3 feet from the house, from the front corner of the house.

Is this maple tree a problem? For the foundation maybe, which is
cinder block, about 6 feet below grade, and which so far doesn't leak at
all.** The sump pump is in that corner, but the two 4" corrugated
perforated black plastic pipes that feed it come in 3 or 4 feet from the
corner, so I'm not sure if there is any drain pipe outside buried at the
corner itself or within 3 feet of it. And if there were, I don't know
if that would be a problem. Would the maple tree roots head for the
perforated plastic drain pipe? It's about a foot below the basement
floor, so it's about 7 feet below ground

Thanks a lot for any help on this.

** (Even though the house has settled a little and there is one one-foot
crack in the sheet rock in my bedroom, between the bedroom door and the
bathroom door.) .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:49:08 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
[...]

I guess that depends on what kind of maple it is. If it's a
japanese maple that's a specimen and it's only going to grow
slowly and stay small, it's still probably too close, but it
could grow for years, you can keep it trimmed, etc. Still, I'd
probably move it so it's 4 or 5 ft away.

If it's a full size variety, I'd dig it out and transplant it now.
There are all kinds of maples, some are nice, some are more like weeds.
But unless it's one of the japanese maples types or similar, most
maples become big trees and there isn't room for it to grow where
it is now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I agree. No one wants to see a tree die, but planning is essential when
dealing with trees that one day will become large. Take action now or
later they will become major problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message ...
trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Have you considered bulldozing the house?

Senior Member

Micky:

While I agree that if you're going to transplant that tree, it'd be faster, easier and cheaper to transplant it while it's young and small than when it's fully grown.

But, I disagree that it's likely to be a problem.

You see, regardless of how tall a tree is, and how large it's crown, 99.9% of it's root network will be in the top 3 feet of soil around your house. This is because a root's job is to anchor the tree, collect water from the ground and absorb nutrients the tree needs to grow. And, those nutrients come from AEROBIC decay of plant material, which is what you get when you compost leaves or grass or other organic biomass.

Generally, anything deeper than 3 feet in the ground won't have enough oxygen to produce aerobic decay, and all you get is anaerobic decay that produces methane gas, and the tree is not interested in that stuff at all. It wants the good stuff that rots near the surface.

It's the fact that a tree's roots are only interested in the aerobic decayed biomass that's the reason why you can have a hundred thousand fully grown elm trees growing on the lawns and boulevards of a city like Winnipeg, and yet tree roots growing into sewer lines is comparatively rare. That's because the sewer lines are below the frost line depth of about 6 feet, and the roots of the trees won't normally grow to that depth.

Where you have a cracked sewer pipe, the roots will sense the aerobically decayed biomass getting into the soil and grow toward it. In that case, you will have roots growing down 6 or 7 feet deep to get at that aerobically decayed stuff. But, it's been my experience that a plumber simply cutting those roots with a snake will solve the problem. The root end dies and you don't get the tree trying to grow more roots into that sewer pipe.

Also, you should be aware that the root network of a tree will typically be about 10 times the diameter of the crown. So, if a tree's branches extend out 20 feet from it's trunk, the root network will extend out 200 feet from the tree. It's that huge amount of soil the tree grabs onto that allows it to withstand hurricane force winds.

Maybe Google "Tree Roots" and learn all about them. Most people imagine that the root network of a tree is a mirror image of the tree's branch network (aka: the "crown") and nothing could be further from the truth. It's knowing that difference that will help you make a decision on what to do with that tree and when to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2014 11:25 PM, Abie the Fish Peddler wrote:
"Ken" wrote in message ...
I agree. No one wants to see a tree die, but planning is essential when
dealing with trees that one day will become large. Take action now or
later they will become major problems.

Have you considered bulldozing the house?

When dead trees turn into books and news
papers, I'm all for it. As to the OP,
I'd consult folks local to the area. My
guess from here (keyboard in the living
room) is the tree will be a source of
leaves in the gutters, cracked foundation
due to roots, and clogged drains due to
roots.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"micky" wrote in message

And a third tree has started growning, also about 3 years
ago. This maple is only 3 or 4 feet tall now, but the
problem is, maybe, that it's only 3 feet from the house,
from the front corner of the house.

Three feet is too close. WAYYY too close regardless of what kind of tree it
is. Move it or kill it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 06:48:46 +0200, nestork
wrote:

[...]

regardless of the root system's ability to damage the foundation, 3
feet from the house is WAY to close and roof and siding damage will
result over time. 20 feet is plenty close enough for a maple
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message

And a third tree has started growning, also about 3 years
ago. This maple is only 3 or 4 feet tall now, but the
problem is, maybe, that it's only 3 feet from the house,
from the front corner of the house.

Three feet is too close. WAYYY too close regardless of what kind of tree it
is. Move it or kill it.

He shoould be able to transplant it somewhere else with no problem.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Micky,

It's too close to the house. You did not plant it. Big tree, small lot.
Cut it down.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On 4/23/2014 8:49 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

Cut them all down and plant something like a dogwood that will not grow
so tall or fast.

I had to remove a maple about 20 feet from the house when it was
touching the house and scraping the roofing shingles.

If by tulip, you mean tulip poplar, they get huge and I know where they
have fallen in a storm and destroyed a house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare,

I agree. And leaves in the gutters. It's too damn close. Cut it down.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On 4/23/2014 7:49 PM, micky wrote:
I have a tiny lot, 1/20th of an acre, iirc, including the space the
house is on. It's a town house, end of group.

So the lot size is approximately 2100 square feet, and the townhouse
takes up most of that.

The average mature tulip tree is 70-90 feet tall, 40-50 foot wide canopy.
Maples generally range from 30-100 feet at maturity with a canopy of
20-60 feet.

Simply put: you haven't got anywhere *near* enough room for three
full-sized trees on that lot. Get rid of the maple. Plan on getting
rid of one of the tulip trees soon, too.

Fit the tree to your lot size. When you have a smaller lot, plant
smaller trees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It is up to you and your life style. If you think is is worth it and you love pancakes just allow the thing to grow and attach a spicket to it with a drian for the syrup onto the house. Ther may be a slight problem with code but you should be able to modify it.
Sincerely
Phuck Phuck and Phuck Attorney at Law
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 08:38:04 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Clare,

I agree. And leaves in the gutters. It's too damn close. Cut it down.

Dave M.

Or dig it out and move it 20 feet if it's not a Japanese maple. If it
is, burn it NOW. A good hard maple or sugar maple is worth saving by
transplanting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the roots don't cause trouble, sooner or later it will drop a big limb through your roof.

As soon as any branches are near your structure, rodents and insects will use them as a highway into your house.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"micky" wrote in message

And a third tree has started growning, also about 3 years ago. This
maple is only 3 or 4 feet tall now, but the problem is, maybe, that it's
only 3 feet from the house, from the front corner of the house.

Is this maple tree a problem?

This is near enough to threaten your French drain (if you have
one) or foundations.

Many cities now have a staff arboriist, a source of free advice
to householders in most places.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On 04/23/2014 08:49 PM, micky wrote:
And a third tree has started growning, also about 3 years ago. This
maple is only 3 or 4 feet tall now, but the problem is, maybe, that it's
only 3 feet from the house, from the front corner of the house.

Cut that f*ing thing down now!

Trees damage foundations and roofs, both of which are expensive to repair.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"micky" wrote in message
[...]

Too close to the house, and yes the roots will head towards water. If it's
a silver maple, don't waste your time transplanting. They grow too fast,
they're too soft. Once the tree grows to a decent height, the branches
will break in the wind.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 17:28:22 -0400, Hannibal Lecter
wrote:

On 04/23/2014 08:49 PM, micky wrote:
And a third tree has started growning, also about 3 years ago. This
maple is only 3 or 4 feet tall now, but the problem is, maybe, that it's
only 3 feet from the house, from the front corner of the house.

Cut that f*ing thing down now!

Trees damage foundations and roofs, both of which are expensive to repair.

And a WELL POSITIONED tree can protect the roof from sun and wind
damage. Trees are the lungs of our planet. I luke to have lots of
trees around - just not too close to the house, and kept well trimmed.
My cherry tree (at less than 8 feet) IS too close to the house, and
it's been there longer than the house. It's lopsided because I keep
trimming it away from the house so it doesn't overhang the roof, rub
on the gable end, or rub on the siding. One of these years it will
have to come down, but if it falls it will fall away from the house
and only damage a fence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As the owner of a house on a 1/2 acre lot, and several 50 year-old maple trees that I planted 50 years ago, when we purchased this house, I would keep any maple tree at least 15 feet away from the corner of the house. Assuming it is a normal (not Japanese) maple tree, it will get huge and even at 15 feet the branches will overhang the house.

If you can get 15 feet away and still be on the property, I would sure try to do it that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Clare,

I agree. And leaves in the gutters. It's too damn close. Cut it down.

Dave M.

Or dig it out and move it 20 feet if it's not a Japanese maple. If it

is, burn it NOW. A good hard maple or sugar maple is worth saving by

transplanting.

You have a problem with japanese maples? At the local nurseries
4ft ones are going for $150.