Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Bahlzenal Rod Bahlzenal is offline

Default Maple tree 3 feet from house

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:49:08 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
I have a tiny lot, 1/20th of an acre, iirc, including the space the

house is on. It's a town house, end of group.

The first owner did great landscaping but some things have died.

I've planted some stuff myself, but I really like it when trees grow on

their own.

One tulip tree is about 40 feet tall now, at the edge of the property.

And a second tulip tree has reached 8 feet in only 3 years. It will be

a good replacement for a pine tree nearby which grew funny and has had

most of its limbs broken off by snow. and is probably going to die. .

And a third tree has started growning, also about 3 years ago. This

maple is only 3 or 4 feet tall now, but the problem is, maybe, that it's

only 3 feet from the house, from the front corner of the house.

Is this maple tree a problem? For the foundation maybe, which is

cinder block, about 6 feet below grade, and which so far doesn't leak at

all.** The sump pump is in that corner, but the two 4" corrugated

perforated black plastic pipes that feed it come in 3 or 4 feet from the

corner, so I'm not sure if there is any drain pipe outside buried at the

corner itself or within 3 feet of it. And if there were, I don't know

if that would be a problem. Would the maple tree roots head for the

perforated plastic drain pipe? It's about a foot below the basement

floor, so it's about 7 feet below ground

Thanks a lot for any help on this.

** (Even though the house has settled a little and there is one one-foot

crack in the sheet rock in my bedroom, between the bedroom door and the

bathroom door.) .

It is up to you and your life style. If you think is is worth it and you love pancakes just allow the thing to grow and attach a spicket to it with a drian for the syrup onto the house. Ther may be a slight problem with code but you should be able to modify it.
Sincerely
Phuck Phuck and Phuck Attorney at Law