Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet question

One of the toilets in my kids home is emptying itself. Sounds like
autosyphoning because of a blocked stack. HOWEVER, one of the websites
suggested "power" flushing with hot water as a possible treatment.
Figured I had nothing to lose but a couple gallons of hot water if it
didn't worked so I tried it.
About half a gallon in, the water apparently hit a certain height
and the toilet flushed itself. I am guessing due to the weight of the
water triggering the flush. So, does this change the diagnosis and
possibly the treatment.
Hers is a two story house and I have vertigo so climbing up on the
roof really isn't an option.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 7:34:24 AM UTC-4, Kurt Ullman wrote:
One of the toilets in my kids home is emptying itself. Sounds like

autosyphoning because of a blocked stack. HOWEVER, one of the websites

suggested "power" flushing with hot water as a possible treatment.

Figured I had nothing to lose but a couple gallons of hot water if it

didn't worked so I tried it.

About half a gallon in, the water apparently hit a certain height

and the toilet flushed itself. I am guessing due to the weight of the

water triggering the flush. So, does this change the diagnosis and

possibly the treatment.

Hers is a two story house and I have vertigo so climbing up on the

roof really isn't an option.

--

³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,

but what they conceal is vital.²

‹ Aaron Levenstein

I agree with your suspicion that it's a venting problem. I don't
see how a blockage could cause the toilet to later drain itself.
Also, never heard about the hot water fix either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Repeated hot water might melt the wax ring sealing the toilet to the floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt,

Toilets aren't designed for hot water. Pouring a large amount of hot
water may cause the bowl to crack due to thermal shock. Glad this didn't
happen.
Do your kids have vertigo? Someone needs to snake out the vent stack.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2014 7:34 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
One of the toilets in my kids home is emptying itself. Sounds like
autosyphoning because of a blocked stack. HOWEVER, one of the websites
suggested "power" flushing with hot water as a possible treatment.
Figured I had nothing to lose but a couple gallons of hot water if it
didn't worked so I tried it.
About half a gallon in, the water apparently hit a certain height
and the toilet flushed itself. I am guessing due to the weight of the
water triggering the flush. So, does this change the diagnosis and
possibly the treatment.
Hers is a two story house and I have vertigo so climbing up on the
roof really isn't an option.

From what you describe, "someone" will
end up on the roof, with a drain snake,
or garden hose and blaster tip.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 07:34:24 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

One of the toilets in my kids home is emptying itself. Sounds like
autosyphoning because of a blocked stack. HOWEVER, one of the websites
suggested "power" flushing with hot water as a possible treatment.
Figured I had nothing to lose but a couple gallons of hot water if it
didn't worked so I tried it.
About half a gallon in, the water apparently hit a certain height
and the toilet flushed itself. I am guessing due to the weight of the
water triggering the flush. So, does this change the diagnosis and
possibly the treatment.
Hers is a two story house and I have vertigo so climbing up on the
roof really isn't an option.

Have you high winds lately? The siphoning might be related.

It the vent is clogged, the easiest method is to have a person push a
water hose down and turn on the water. You could monitor inside and
turn the hose off and on. YMMV
Senior Member

Kurt Ullman:

Is this a basement toilet that was installed after the house was built?

If so, then it's not a venting issue at all. It's because the main drain line from the house is partially clogged. When was the last time you had that drain line cleared with a plumbing snake?

If it's a basement toilet that was added after the house was built, there's no requirement to install a vent stack for that toilet. All that's required is that the toilet's drain pipe be connected to the main drain line from the house to the sewer line or septic tank. In that case, if that main drain line is partially clogged, then that drain line can fill with water during a flush. As the water then drains away past the partially clogged section, the suction created behind the draining water can suck the water out of the toilet bowl.

If you can't remember when the last time the main drain line from the house was cleared with a snake or jetter, then I'd do that before you do anything else.

TOILET QUESTION .-.MINDY.-. Home Repair 6 September 4th 07 01:43 AM
Toilet Question... Sparks UK diy 13 August 27th 06 12:19 AM
Toilet Question twfsa Home Repair 7 May 30th 06 09:47 PM
Toilet Question RS Home Repair 2 September 8th 05 08:05 PM
Toilet brands (toilet question followup) Steven O. Home Ownership 5 March 24th 04 06:40 PM