Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Toilet question

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 7:34:24 AM UTC-4, Kurt Ullman wrote:
One of the toilets in my kids home is emptying itself. Sounds like

autosyphoning because of a blocked stack. HOWEVER, one of the websites

suggested "power" flushing with hot water as a possible treatment.

Figured I had nothing to lose but a couple gallons of hot water if it

didn't worked so I tried it.

About half a gallon in, the water apparently hit a certain height

and the toilet flushed itself. I am guessing due to the weight of the

water triggering the flush. So, does this change the diagnosis and

possibly the treatment.

Hers is a two story house and I have vertigo so climbing up on the

roof really isn't an option.

--

³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,

but what they conceal is vital.²

‹ Aaron Levenstein

I agree with your suspicion that it's a venting problem. I don't
see how a blockage could cause the toilet to later drain itself.
Also, never heard about the hot water fix either.