Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? LCD monitor dead OT?

There was a lot of knowledge displayed above in the "computers" thread so

My 22" LCD just went dark . When the comp is hooked to it the power light
does go green when I input , so I'm fairly sure the logic board is OK . I've
disassembled it and the CCFL's look OK and none of the caps on the power
supply are bulged . I'm not sure it's worth fixing if it means throwing
parts at it . I'd like suggestions on testing the power supply , and yes I
know there are some pretty high voltages present . The CCFL's are a bit dark
on the ends , but not as bad as photos of failed units I found on the
interwebs .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2014 3:01 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
There was a lot of knowledge displayed above in the "computers" thread so

My 22" LCD just went dark . When the comp is hooked to it the power light
does go green when I input , so I'm fairly sure the logic board is OK . I've
disassembled it and the CCFL's look OK and none of the caps on the power
supply are bulged . I'm not sure it's worth fixing if it means throwing
parts at it . I'd like suggestions on testing the power supply , and yes I
know there are some pretty high voltages present . The CCFL's are a bit dark
on the ends , but not as bad as photos of failed units I found on the
interwebs .

Green power light or not, first try hooking it to another system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" writes:

There was a lot of knowledge displayed above in the "computers" thread so

My 22" LCD just went dark . When the comp is hooked to it the power light
does go green when I input , so I'm fairly sure the logic board is OK . I've
disassembled it and the CCFL's look OK and none of the caps on the power
supply are bulged . I'm not sure it's worth fixing if it means throwing
parts at it . I'd like suggestions on testing the power supply , and yes I
know there are some pretty high voltages present . The CCFL's are a bit dark
on the ends , but not as bad as photos of failed units I found on the
interwebs .

When my DELL 21" failed, I wrote to DELL.
They replaced it under warranty.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/14, 4:01 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
There was a lot of knowledge displayed above in the "computers" thread so

My 22" LCD just went dark . When the comp is hooked to it the power light
does go green when I input , so I'm fairly sure the logic board is OK . I've
disassembled it and the CCFL's look OK and none of the caps on the power
supply are bulged . I'm not sure it's worth fixing if it means throwing
parts at it . I'd like suggestions on testing the power supply , and yes I
know there are some pretty high voltages present . The CCFL's are a bit dark
on the ends , but not as bad as photos of failed units I found on the
interwebs .

What make / model ?? Does it not have any front or side panel
setup/test buttons ??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/03/2014 03:13 PM, IGot2P wrote:
[...]

Absolutely! The green light can also go on if the video signal is out
of range so there is a possibility the problem is with the computer and
not the monitor.

If the monitor is bad I doubt that it would be worth fixing as a new 22
inch monitor is probably $150.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Retired wrote:
On 4/3/14, 4:01 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
There was a lot of knowledge displayed above in the "computers"
thread so ...

My 22" LCD just went dark . When the comp is hooked to it the
power light does go green when I input , so I'm fairly sure the
logic board is OK . I've disassembled it and the CCFL's look OK and
none of the caps on the power supply are bulged . I'm not sure it's
worth fixing if it means throwing parts at it . I'd like suggestions
on testing the power supply , and yes I know there are some pretty
high voltages present . The CCFL's are a bit dark on the ends , but
not as bad as photos of failed units I found on the interwebs .

What make / model ?? Does it not have any front or side panel
setup/test buttons ??

Envision Model G22LWk . It does have setup buttons on the front lower
center , pushing them in any sequence does nothing . Push the power button
and the light comes on green . If not hooked to a system it'll go amber .
This thing kinda flickered once then went dead . I thought it might be the
backlight tubes , but they look OK . Bad caps on the power supply are a
known source of problems , but none of these are bulged or leaking . I'm a
bit lost here . This comp I'm using is where it belongs , and it runs this
old CRT unit just fine ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

Well , I doubt it's the comp , since I'm using it right now with an
older CRT monitor .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:01:52 PM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:
There was a lot of knowledge displayed above in the "computers" thread so

My 22" LCD just went dark . When the comp is hooked to it the power light

does go green when I input , so I'm fairly sure the logic board is OK . I've

disassembled it and the CCFL's look OK and none of the caps on the power

supply are bulged . I'm not sure it's worth fixing if it means throwing

parts at it . I'd like suggestions on testing the power supply , and yes I

know there are some pretty high voltages present . The CCFL's are a bit dark

on the ends , but not as bad as photos of failed units I found on the

interwebs .

--

Snag

Suggest posting on sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:01:52 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
There was a lot of knowledge displayed above in the "computers" thread so

My 22" LCD just went dark . When the comp is hooked to it the power light

does go green when I input , so I'm fairly sure the logic board is OK . I've

disassembled it and the CCFL's look OK and none of the caps on the power

supply are bulged . I'm not sure it's worth fixing if it means throwing

parts at it . I'd like suggestions on testing the power supply , and yes I

know there are some pretty high voltages present . The CCFL's are a bit dark

on the ends , but not as bad as photos of failed units I found on the

interwebs .

--

Snag

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...24005344-L015A
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/03/2014 04:19 PM, philo wrote:

[snip]

Green power light or not, first try hooking it to another system.

Absolutely! The green light can also go on if the video signal is out
of range so there is a possibility the problem is with the computer and
not the monitor.

I have had monitors fed with an out-of-range signal. The usual response
is an on-screen display indicating that.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Persecution is not an original feature in any religion; but it is
always the strongly marked feature of all religions established by law."
-- Thomas Paine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 16:53:40 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

philo wrote:
[...]

That doesn't mean anything!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

philo wrote:
[...]

Actually, it does. It means the computer is functioning. If with the
resolution set to 800X600 it still does not work on the flatscreen, it
meens the flatscreen is dead.

What make/model did you say the dead screen is??
Extremely unlikel to be worth attempring to fix.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

philo wrote:
[...]

I'll be spending part of my tax refund on a new one . I'll also be
spending some on consumibles for the machine shop ... I've been kinda rough
on the smaller end mills while learning .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

philo wrote:
[...]

Hi,
One time bad batch of caps affected monitors, mother boards.
If the monitor is sick due to those caps. Replacing them usually
revives it. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 14:32:50 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

One time bad batch of caps affected monitors, mother boards.
If the monitor is sick due to those caps. Replacing them usually
revives it. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

This guy demonstrates the repair. He is from Australia, funny
sometimes but gets deep into the weeds. I've been watching his channel
to learn.

Dumpster diving he found a Samsung LCD, and found cheap caps "CapXon?"

_EEVblog #347 - Bad Cap LCD Monitor Repair_

17 minute video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytw57212X2o

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

philo wrote:
[...]

Nothing like a good reaming, aye!

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
Retired wrote:
[...]

Have you checked it out under varying light conditions to see if you can see the
computer image by reflected light off the screen? If you can, that indicates
that the backlight is the problem. The monitor I'm using currently had an
intermittant backlight problem, which I fixed by re-setting the connectors
associated with the backlight. There are lots of sites discussing repairing
backlight problems.

I've fixed several other LCD monitors by replacing bad capacitors, but they were
usually obvious. I picked up a freebie 50" plasma TV that didn't work and
replaced $8 of capacitors to fix it.