N. Thornton

Default LCD monitor dead: diy repair?

In message
From: Mike )
"Lobster" wrote in message

Yesterday it was working fine when I turned it off, but when I

booted up
the PC this morning my LCD monitor (a 15" Dell E151Fpp) was

completely
dead

Is there anything a non-expert like me can do to repair this? Where
would I start?

You'll struggle to find anybody wanting to repair it. Easiest

solution may
be to identify all the tracks out of the PSU and guess what voltage

they
provided, then either break these tracks or rip all these components

off the
board and use a Maplin or RS multi-supply to replace it.

This is not a diy job at all. Not unless youre an electronic
engineer/repairer anyway. The PSU will hold dangerous voltages even
when unplugged. I like the advice above of using an external psu to
supply the voltages it needs - if of course the psu is that simple,
but its probably not. SMPSUs frequently have feedback rails to
shutdown and wake up on command, monitor for overloads etc. But being
cut price puter kit it might not, I dont know.

If youre lucky you might find a backstreet tv repairer to do it. I
wouldnt bother with the more reputable ones, they do the same work and
the price will be not worth it.

If you still want to tackle it, try sci.electronics.repair. It'll most
likely be a shorted pass transistor or high side chip. Not much point
replacing caps. And learn how to make it safe to work on first.

NT