Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery operated weed trimmers?

Weed trimmer, string trimmer, edger, whatever you call them? Anyone
have/had one using batteries? I dislike fooling with gasoline and little
twu-cycle engines and my current electric unit has that annoying loooong
power cord and gets power most conveniently from a touchy outside ground-
fault detecting receptacle that sometimes, even when the vegetation is dry,
too-often requires resets.

I've casually looked the those with batteries on-line and they appear quite
expensive. If you have one, how long does that battery run before it needs
recharging? Like 15 minutes, 20, 30? Probably depends a lot on unit and
battery size. I'm afraid bettery replacements will be very expense - and
perhaps hard to find.

Again, if you've used them, what is your experience? Would you get another?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 16:35:32 +0000, KenK wrote:

Again, if you've used them, what is your experience? Would you get another?

I had bought one from Orchard Supply (Sears offshoot) a while ago, and hated
it. The battery lasted fine in the beginning, but, within a short period
(maybe a year or two?) it was useless.

Of course, I could have bought a new battery, but, what I ended up
buying was a two-stroke weed whacker, which I had been happy with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny D." wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 16:35:32 +0000, KenK wrote:

Again, if you've used them, what is your experience? Would you get
another?

I had bought one from Orchard Supply (Sears offshoot) a while ago, and
hated
it. The battery lasted fine in the beginning, but, within a short period
(maybe a year or two?) it was useless.

Of course, I could have bought a new battery, but, what I ended up
buying was a two-stroke weed whacker, which I had been happy with.

same experience with our special order from OSH. It broke a couple times,
too, so that was my excuse to return it for a refund (other than the special
order fee, but I was happy to be rid of it).

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
Weed trimmer, string trimmer, edger, whatever you call them? Anyone
have/had one using batteries? I dislike fooling with gasoline and little
twu-cycle engines and my current electric unit has that annoying loooong
power cord and gets power most conveniently from a touchy outside ground-
fault detecting receptacle that sometimes, even when the vegetation is dry,
too-often requires resets.

I've casually looked the those with batteries on-line and they appear quite
expensive. If you have one, how long does that battery run before it needs
recharging? Like 15 minutes, 20, 30? Probably depends a lot on unit and
battery size. I'm afraid bettery replacements will be very expense - and
perhaps hard to find.

Again, if you've used them, what is your experience? Would you get another?

TIA

I guess it really depends on how much trimming you have to do. I have had a
B&D 24V trimmer for a number of years. I couldn't be happier, but I don't
have a lot of edge to trim. I have never used up the battery in one
session. I'd estimate that a session probably lasts about 15 - 20 minutes
but that's not continuance.

I was storing a gas trimmer for my son when he lived in an apartment and I
used it a few times. I liked the way it operated. It seemed smoother and
less violent that my battery powered B&D but not enough that I would want
to deal with mixing gas, dealing with cold weather running vs. warm, etc.
With the B&D, I can just grab and go, even for a quick trim in one spot,
and then hang it back on the garage wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D. wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 16:35:32 +0000, KenK wrote:

Again, if you've used them, what is your experience? Would you get another?

I had bought one from Orchard Supply (Sears offshoot) a while ago, and hated
it. The battery lasted fine in the beginning, but, within a short period
(maybe a year or two?) it was useless.

Of course, I could have bought a new battery, but, what I ended up
buying was a two-stroke weed whacker, which I had been happy with.

Hi,
Have both. 2 cycle gas, B&D Lithium Ion battery one. The B&D came with
two batteries. Battery lasts about 30 mins. good enough to do a small
city lot. I still use gas one out at our cabin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2014 12:35 PM, KenK wrote:
Weed trimmer, string trimmer, edger, whatever you call them? Anyone
have/had one using batteries? I dislike fooling with gasoline and little
twu-cycle engines and my current electric unit has that annoying loooong
power cord and gets power most conveniently from a touchy outside ground-
fault detecting receptacle that sometimes, even when the vegetation is dry,
too-often requires resets.

I've casually looked the those with batteries on-line and they appear quite
expensive. If you have one, how long does that battery run before it needs
recharging? Like 15 minutes, 20, 30? Probably depends a lot on unit and
battery size. I'm afraid bettery replacements will be very expense - and
perhaps hard to find.

Again, if you've used them, what is your experience? Would you get another?

TIA

I had a clipper and trimmer set with 2 batteries that cost $100. Worked
nice for small stuff but when batteries gave out in 5 years only
replacement I found were $50 each. Hated to throw out that set that was
perfectly good but useless without batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 Mar 2014 16:35:32 GMT, KenK wrote:

Anyone
have/had one using batteries?

Not me.

My recent battery tool has a deep discharge circuit in the battery.
Apparently the battery stops before the cells are damaged. I'd check
in that for a new tool, like a string trimmer or such.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote in
:

Weed trimmer, string trimmer, edger, whatever you call them? Anyone
have/had one using batteries? I dislike fooling with gasoline and
little twu-cycle engines and my current electric unit has that
annoying loooong power cord and gets power most conveniently from a
touchy outside ground- fault detecting receptacle that sometimes, even
when the vegetation is dry, too-often requires resets.

I've casually looked the those with batteries on-line and they appear
quite expensive. If you have one, how long does that battery run
before it needs recharging? Like 15 minutes, 20, 30? Probably depends
a lot on unit and battery size. I'm afraid bettery replacements will
be very expense - and perhaps hard to find.

Again, if you've used them, what is your experience? Would you get
another?

TIA

I have a Black and Decker battery powered unit from about seven years
ago that is still going strong. It is used once a week or so for about
30 minutes. It has never appeared to slow down so I presume it could
run much longer. When not in use it sits on the charger. I'd recommend
one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
Weed trimmer, string trimmer, edger, whatever you call them? Anyone
have/had one using batteries? I dislike fooling with gasoline and little
twu-cycle engines and my current electric unit has that annoying loooong
power cord and gets power most conveniently from a touchy outside ground-
fault detecting receptacle that sometimes, even when the vegetation is dry,
too-often requires resets.

I've casually looked the those with batteries on-line and they appear quite
expensive. If you have one, how long does that battery run before it needs
recharging? Like 15 minutes, 20, 30? Probably depends a lot on unit and
battery size. I'm afraid bettery replacements will be very expense - and
perhaps hard to find.

Again, if you've used them, what is your experience? Would you get another?

TIA

I have a little sears unit. Fantastic, light, lithium battery, until they
quit making replacement cutters.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 Mar 2014 16:35:32 GMT, KenK wrote:

Again, if you've used them, what is your experience? Would you get another?

TIA

Really like this one. Expensive but almost as powerful as gas powered:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H2JQ4WK/..._26725410_item

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Had one, don't want another. Might be okay if you have small areas to
whack.
The motor weight on the bottom make them hard on the back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kuskokwim wrote:
On 31 Mar 2014 16:35:32 GMT, KenK wrote:

Again, if you've used them, what is your experience? Would you get another?

TIA

Really like this one. Expensive but almost as powerful as gas powered:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H2JQ4WK/..._26725410_item

They really need to change the description of that unit.

A 13" shaft on a trimmer could lead to a really sore back.