Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Catalytic converters on weed trimmers

"[WASHINGTON] The Environmental Protection Agency yesterday tightened
emissions standards for new gasoline-powered lawn mowers, weed trimmers and
boat engines, reducing the amount of smog-causing pollution these motors
will be allowed to emit. In adopting long-delayed rules that will require
small gas engines to have catalytic converters like those that have been
installed in cars since 1975..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines

Catalytic converters, smaller than those used on automobiles, should add no
more than $600.00 to your average lawnmower or weed trimmer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 9:54 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Catalytic converters, smaller than those used on automobiles, should add no
more than $600.00 to your average lawnmower or weed trimmer.

My new Stihl string trimmer has one. Whole thing cost about $250.
Granted, that's 2x what my old Ryobi cost, but it's 10x the quality.
Converter doesn't seem to make much difference.

Ventless "spill proof" gas cans really **** me off. Obviously
designed by an environmentalist who's never actually used a gas can.
It's impossible to use one without gas spilling everywhere. What was
the big deal with the separate vent?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 10:38*am, The Reverend Natural Light
wrote:
On Sep 5, 9:54 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Catalytic converters, smaller than those used on automobiles, should add no
more than $600.00 to your average lawnmower or weed trimmer.

My new Stihl string trimmer has one. *Whole thing cost about $250.
Granted, that's 2x what my old Ryobi cost, but it's 10x the quality.
Converter doesn't seem to make much difference.

Ventless "spill proof" gas cans really **** me off. *Obviously
designed by an environmentalist who's never actually used a gas can.
It's impossible to use one without gas spilling everywhere. *What was
the big deal with the separate vent?

I see a real opportunity in restoring existing lawn equipment.
I better buy a couple 4 stroke weed eaters before the price goes up.
I seem to get about 4 years out of them before it is more work to keep
them running than it is worth.
I will however be more diligent in maintaining them, no more delayed
oil changes ( only takes a handful of oil anyhow).
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...08/09/04/AR200...

Catalytic converters, smaller than those used on automobiles, should add no
more than $600.00 to your average lawnmower or weed trimmer.

It wont add much to he cost, I just paid 300$ for a toro 6.75
lawnmower, in 1973 the same toro with a 3.75hp and smaller deck cost
me 375, so why complain, Lawn equipment pollutes 30x as much as a car,
catalytic converters are needed. The lawn equipment lobyists have
fought this for years so I hope it goes through.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Has one what? Not a cat converter.

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message

My new Stihl string trimmer has one. Whole thing cost about $250.
Granted, that's 2x what my old Ryobi cost, but it's 10x the quality.
Converter doesn't seem to make much difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 12:48 pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

Has one what? Not a cat converter.

Yes. It has a catalytic converter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

But, if it saves just ONE life! Can you measure in dollars, the life of a
snail darter, sparrow, or pukle picker? Think of the baby seals! It's for
the good of the nation, and of the planet. Remember your Mother Earth, we
have only one planet. And, so, the cliches will roll forth from the
environmentals.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
"[WASHINGTON] The Environmental Protection Agency yesterday tightened
emissions standards for new gasoline-powered lawn mowers, weed trimmers and
boat engines, reducing the amount of smog-causing pollution these motors
will be allowed to emit. In adopting long-delayed rules that will require
small gas engines to have catalytic converters like those that have been
installed in cars since 1975..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines

Catalytic converters, smaller than those used on automobiles, should add no
more than $600.00 to your average lawnmower or weed trimmer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 9:54*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
"[WASHINGTON] The Environmental Protection Agency yesterday tightened
emissions standards for new gasoline-powered lawn mowers, weed trimmers and
boat engines, reducing the amount of smog-causing pollution these motors
will be allowed to emit. In adopting long-delayed rules that will require
small gas engines to have catalytic converters like those that have been
installed in cars since 1975..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...08/09/04/AR200...

Catalytic converters, smaller than those used on automobiles, should add no
more than $600.00 to your average lawnmower or weed trimmer.

Just buy battery powered tools. Far more convenient.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
But, if it saves just ONE life! Can you measure in dollars, the life
of a snail darter, sparrow, or pukle picker? Think of the baby seals!
It's for the good of the nation, and of the planet. Remember your
Mother Earth, we have only one planet. And, so, the cliches will roll
forth from the environmentals.

Sometimes the emphasis is completely misguided.

Years ago, the organizers of a "Texas Chili Cook-off" were complaining to
the city council about all the foolish regulations being imposed upon them
by the city's health and safety director.

"Can you give us an example?" asked one city councilman.

"Sure. They want us to do all our cooking in covered areas, like tents. It
gets powerful hot cooking chili in a tent!"

"Is that true, Mr. City Health Inspector?"

"Yes," said the health inspector. This regulation is designed to prevent
contaminants from getting to the food, such as insects."

"That's what he don't understand," said the chili man. "We PUT insects in
the chili! Ain't nothin' adds zest like a few fire ants!"

"[!] I give up, I truly do," replied the health inspector. "Do whatever you
want. I'm outta here."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cadmium, lead....

--