Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alkaline battery chargers

I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2014 07:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

No, they do not work.

Dry cells are a non-reversable chemical process

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 03/31/2014 07:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

No, they do not work.

Dry cells are a non-reversable chemical process

Actually, they do work a bit. They battery will act like a newer one for a few
minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2014 09:59 AM, Bob F wrote:

Dry cells are a non-reversable chemical process

Actually, they do work a bit. They battery will act like a newer one for a few
minutes.

It will also slightly recover simply by not using it for a while.

Those chargers are a complete scam
Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually there are recharable alkaline cells. I used to have some and
they worked pretty well. I am not sure if they still make them. NiMH
are much better. If you try to recharge ordinary alkaline cells it is
not worth the effort for the small charge you may get.

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 08:42:48 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2014 8:45 AM, philo wrote:
On 03/31/2014 07:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

No, they do not work.

Dry cells are a non-reversable chemical process

When i was a kid, my Dad had a charger for
dry cells. It put some power back in, but
not much.

BTW, alkaline cells are not dry.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2014 8:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

I've got a Battery Manager Ultra (no longer
made) and a Re-Nu (will made) for AA and
AAA cells. They both put power back into
alkaline cells. Some will leak (maybe 25
to 40% of the cells leak). If a battery is
slightly discharged, it freshes up better,
and less likely to leak. Cells deeply dis
charged more likely to fail and leak.

I charge the cells, and put into the plastic
holders with paper towels or toilet paper
below the cells, wait a week or two. Pitch
out the leakers, and check the cells for
charge before using. Lot of work for not much
benefit.

I've not compared first use to recharge. Less,
but not sure how much less.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 07:45:36 -0500, philo* wrote:

On 03/31/2014 07:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

No, they do not work.

Dry cells are a non-reversable chemical process

Theoretically, and practically, yes. However the rechargers DO get a
little bit of extra power out of the batteries because the reaction is
not TOTALLY non-reversible. About 25% charge in "real world" -
making it really not worth the expense and effort.
This is assuming regular alkalines. There ARE rechargeable alkalines
that work VERY well. - like "pure energy" and "envirocell". They are
only good for about a dozen recharges - but unlike NiCads et al, they
hold their charge for years. Their charge efficiency is also better
than NiCad and NimH
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

The ad for that charger said "any" battery and showed photos of
non-rechargeable batteries...that is why I said it's a scam.

A battery designed to be recharged is of course OK though

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2014 12:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/31/2014 8:45 AM, philo wrote:
On 03/31/2014 07:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

No, they do not work.

Dry cells are a non-reversable chemical process

When i was a kid, my Dad had a charger for
dry cells. It put some power back in, but
not much.

BTW, alkaline cells are not dry.

Though alkaline batteries may be moist inside they are considered dry cells.

"Wet" cells have actual liquid inside.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JAS JAS is offline

wrote:

I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

The ad for that charger said "any" battery and showed photos of
non-rechargeable batteries...that is why I said it's a scam.

A battery designed to be recharged is of course OK though

I don't know how good it is or if it is a scam but last year I had 20
outdoor rechargeable yard lights, some to battery and some four battery
all with rechargeable batteries and most were over a year old and dying
.. I replaced all of the batteries with non rechargeable energizers and
they are still going and have been running every night for a year. I do
not know if they are getting a charge like the ones that were in the
lights when they were purchased.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2014 05:25 PM, JAS wrote:

A battery designed to be recharged is of course OK though

I don't know how good it is or if it is a scam but last year I had 20
outdoor rechargeable yard lights, some to battery and some four battery
all with rechargeable batteries and most were over a year old and dying
. I replaced all of the batteries with non rechargeable energizers and
they are still going and have been running every night for a year. I do
not know if they are getting a charge like the ones that were in the
lights when they were purchased.

I've found that standard alkaline batteries have more capacity than many
rechargeable batteries ...especially nicads which are only 1.2 volts. I
have never tested a rechargeable alkaline battery though.
Senior Member

I know there are rechargeable alkaline batteries (developed in Canada).
Rechargeable alkaline battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, this ad says that it can discharge ANY battery and even shows a pile of Duracell non-rechargeable batteries if you click on "Specifications" and that's gotta be false. If anyone developed a recharger that would recharge disposable alkaline batteries, it would be big news, and so far I ain't heard nuthin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 13:39:27 -0500, philo* wrote:

On 03/31/2014 12:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/31/2014 8:45 AM, philo wrote:
On 03/31/2014 07:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

No, they do not work.

Dry cells are a non-reversable chemical process

When i was a kid, my Dad had a charger for
dry cells. It put some power back in, but
not much.

BTW, alkaline cells are not dry.

Though alkaline batteries may be moist inside they are considered dry cells.

"Wet" cells have actual liquid inside.

Are rechargeable AA cells wet or dry?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 22:24:22 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 13:39:27 -0500, philo* wrote:

On 03/31/2014 12:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/31/2014 8:45 AM, philo wrote:
On 03/31/2014 07:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

No, they do not work.

Dry cells are a non-reversable chemical process

When i was a kid, my Dad had a charger for
dry cells. It put some power back in, but
not much.

BTW, alkaline cells are not dry.

Though alkaline batteries may be moist inside they are considered dry cells.

"Wet" cells have actual liquid inside.

Are rechargeable AA cells wet or dry?

"damp" - technically dry cells.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recharg...kaline_battery)

However, this ad says that it can discharge ANY battery and even
shows a pile of Duracell non-rechargeable batteries if you click on
"Specifications" and that's gotta be false.

I've got a piece of wire that can do that.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

Art Todesco wrote:

I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

http://www.allaboutbatteries.com/Alkaline-charging.html

How many times can an ordinary alkaline battery be recharged?

Would you believe hundreds of times? The trick is to stop using the
battery well before it has given up all of its available stored energy.
Note that this is directly opposite to the instructions that were packed
with your battery-operated drill or screwdriver with its NiCad
batteries. When the drill stops turning, charge the battery, but not
before. Good rule for NiCads, but not for alkaline batteries.

Assuming you now have a charger to safely charge alkalines, don't wait
for the battery to stop working. In order to achieve ten times extension
of the normal life of an everyday alkaline battery, you will have to
recharge it frequently, many more times than ten. It makes sense to use
a second set of batteries for a high drain device. Take out one set of
batteries when the device is not being used, and put in the second set
that has been recharged. Charge the first set and carry it with you as a
backup if necessary.

You will be surprised how easily children will be attracted to charging
their own batteries in their toys and possessions. Managing their own
batteries is fun, and they know it helps the environment by not having
to throw batteries away when they can recycle them.

Why did it take so long for a good alkaline charger to be developed?

There have been many more failures than successes along the road to
developing a good charger. Products were announced, and then you didn't
see any more of them. The reason is simple -- they didn't work. One came
close to working, the Buddy-L SuperCharger, announced in 1993. Popular
Science magazine named it as one of the 100 top scientific achievements
of the year. But it did not live up to expectations. Apparently, the
product was launched into production too quickly, and sub-standard
operation resulted. Fortunately, the problems did not hurt the
batteries. The batteries simply switched off prematurely before charging
was complete, and the users had to restart the charging process several
times. Also, it was not designed for easy battery insertion, always
requiring two hands and a struggle. Eleven years later, many people are
still using their SuperChargers and are reluctant to part with them.

All the background information was absorbed and a totally re-engineered
product emerged, the Battery Xtender ™ Tests have shown that it does
live up to expectations, and that the claims of ten times life extension
for ordinary alkaline batteries are not exaggerated. The case has been
redesigned to allow easy one-handed access to the batteries, and it
occupies much less space on a desk, table top or counter.
----------------------------

See also:

http://www.tested.com/tech/1992-can-...ine-batteries/
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

H oM eG uy" "H om e wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:

I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

http://www.allaboutbatteries.com/Alkaline-charging.html

How many times can an ordinary alkaline battery be recharged?

Would you believe hundreds of times? The trick is to stop using the
battery well before it has given up all of its available stored
energy. Note that this is directly opposite to the instructions that
were packed with your battery-operated drill or screwdriver with its
NiCad batteries. When the drill stops turning, charge the battery,
but not before. Good rule for NiCads, but not for alkaline batteries.

Good rule if you want to reverse charge and destroy cells in your nicad battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 31, 2014 9:19:19 PM UTC-7, H oM eG uy wrote:

How many times can an ordinary alkaline battery be recharged?

Would you believe hundreds of times? The trick is to stop using
the battery well before it has given up all of its available
stored energy. Note that this is directly opposite to the
instructions that were packed with your battery-operated drill
or screwdriver with its NiCad batteries.

All the background information was absorbed and a totally re-
engineered product emerged, the Battery Xtender ™ Tests have
shown that it does live up to expectations, and that the claims
of ten times life extension for ordinary alkaline batteries are
not exaggerated.

See also:

http://www.tested.com/tech/1992-can-...ine-batteries/

BS, and don't trust Tested.com.

Even NiMHs and NiCads sometimes can't be recharged hundreds of
times, and the manufacturers of rechargeable alkalines have
claimed only about 10-30 recharges. In the 1970s Mallory (now
known as Duracell) made rechargeable alkalines, and either
Duracell or Energizer tried to sell them in the 1990s, but both
times those alkalines just didn't work well, even when users
did as you said and recharged them when they were still near
full capacity.

Wireless World once featured a charger for regular alkalines.
It would repeatedly charge for a few milliseconds and then
load down the cell for a few milliseconds to check its state of
charge, and a full charge for a D cell took something like 30
hours. This was an old design, not based on any microcontroller.
The article mentioned the importance of not overcharging and
showed a chart relating state of charge to internal pressure.
Cells could reach 70 PSI when overcharged.

Tested.com once tried the Wet Circuits power strip, claimed to
be safe even for use in very wet conditions:

http://www.tested.com/tech/5487-test...s-power-strip/

Why didn't those people get shocked? Because the 120VAC came from
a grounded circuit, and even if had been connected to only a 2-wire
circuit, it's likely any electrical leakage would have been
conducted by the neutral wire, instead of through any humans. But
there's always the possibility of loss of neutral, which creates
a very dangerous condition for ungrounded circuits. Also the
Wet Circuits power strip was falsely claimed to be UL approved for
safety, but UL said otherwise:

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/n...1205080000.xml

So why should you trust Tested.com about an alkaline recharger
when it couldn't even catch something as simple as an obviously
dangerous power strip?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 13:39:27 -0500, philo* wrote:

On 03/31/2014 12:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/31/2014 8:45 AM, philo wrote:
On 03/31/2014 07:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

No, they do not work.

Dry cells are a non-reversable chemical process

When i was a kid, my Dad had a charger for
dry cells. It put some power back in, but
not much.

BTW, alkaline cells are not dry.

Though alkaline batteries may be moist inside they are considered dry cells.

"Wet" cells have actual liquid inside.

Are rechargeable AA cells wet or dry?

"damp" - technically dry cells.

Philo said that dry cells are/use a non-reversable chemical process.

Doesn't that make someone wrong?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2014 9:43 PM, nestork wrote:

However, this ad says that it can discharge ANY battery and even shows a
pile of Duracell non-rechargeable batteries if you click on
"Specifications" and that's gotta be false. If anyone developed a
recharger that would recharge disposable alkaline batteries, it would be
big news, and so far I ain't heard nuthin.

I've had one of these for years. Works nicely if the
cells aren't badly discharged. Many will leak, some
hold.

http://www.amazon.com/Viateks-ReNu-I.../dp/B000F3ZJ0I

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On 3/31/2014 11:19 PM, H oM eG uy wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:

I just saw this ad:
http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/21800
Anyone know it they work and how much energy you get after a charge,
compared to a new cell?

http://www.allaboutbatteries.com/Alkaline-charging.html

That's just a sales pitch from a company peddling its charger.

Then there's this:

""The alkaline batteries (which are generally based on the conversion
of MnO2 and Zn to Mn3O4 and ZnO) offer an excellent example of this
last point. Although the chemical changes at the electrodes can be
reversed, until recently alkaline batteries were manufactured only to
function as primary cells. Recharging one of these primary cells could
allow the battery to be reused, but the possible number of recharging
cycles for such a cell is very limited--it performs more poorly with
each recharge. More important, recharging an old-fashioned alkaline
battery is not safe. During or after a recharge, the battery might
generate enough hydrogen gas to cause an explosion. In their
rechargeable form, alkaline cells have undergone several changes. They
have been redesigned to allow for a more efficient reverse reaction,
they contain a catalyst to minimize hydrogen formation and they have
safety vents that prevent the buildup of excess pressure during
recharging."
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...argeable-that/

So - recharging standard alkalkine batteries isn't safe, nor is it
very efficient, given that the potential number of recharges is very
low, and the amount of available power decreases with each cycle.

Considering how cheap even the high-quality rechargeable batteries are
getting, I can't see why anyone would bother messing around with
trying to recharge disposable batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/01/2014 06:17 AM, micky wrote:
Ons

When i was a kid, my Dad had a charger for
dry cells. It put some power back in, but
not much.

BTW, alkaline cells are not dry.

Though alkaline batteries may be moist inside they are considered dry cells.

"Wet" cells have actual liquid inside.

Are rechargeable AA cells wet or dry?

"damp" - technically dry cells.

Philo said that dry cells are/use a non-reversable chemical process.

Doesn't that make someone wrong?

This will save me a lot of typing

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Analytic...ical_reactions

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2014 2:36 AM, wrote:
See also:

http://www.tested.com/tech/1992-can-...ine-batteries/

BS, and don't trust Tested.com.

So why should you trust Tested.com about an alkaline recharger
when it couldn't even catch something as simple as an obviously
dangerous power strip?

And why would we test a poster named Larry, Moe, and Curly?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Are rechargeable AA cells wet or dry?

Yes

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

Art Todesco wrote:

[...]

That's good information, it's just at least 15 years out of date and
alkaline batteries have changed since then. Not in their basic form but
in many subtle ways to improve their performance. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2014 8:52 AM, micky wrote:
I don't think we can be bipartisan, on this
one. As for me, I've recharged single use
alkalines, for years.

It hardly seems worth it. After you recharge one for years, how long
does it last?

As the bus came to a stop, the woman got
off the bus with a jerk.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 5:30:08 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/1/2014 2:36 AM, wrote:

See also:

http://www.tested.com/tech/1992-can-...ine-batteries/

BS, and don't trust Tested.com.

So why should you trust Tested.com about an alkaline recharger
when it couldn't even catch something as simple as an obviously
dangerous power strip?

And why would we test a poster named Larry, Moe, and Curly?

Because we three have cited proof, unlike somebody in the
newsgroups who keeps preaching a false prophecy fabricated
by a pedophile and convicted con artist whose tale has
never been shown to have any archeological proof,
according to even its followers. I'm not saying it's
crazier or less valid than other beliefs, just that its
original prophet wasn't at all sincere, unlike the true
believer bipolar or schizophrenic prophets of ancient
times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 05:37:21 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/1/2014 8:52 AM, micky wrote:
I don't think we can be bipartisan, on this
one. As for me, I've recharged single use
alkalines, for years.

It hardly seems worth it. After you recharge one for years, how long
does it last?

As the bus came to a stop, the woman got
off the bus with a jerk.

Yes, but she disappointed me before the day was over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:
micky posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Are rechargeable AA cells wet or dry?

Yes

I knew that.

Alkaline Battery Cleanup BeeJ[_2_] Electronics Repair 36 July 29th 13 01:05 AM
Alkaline watch battery GB UK diy 3 January 31st 13 11:54 AM
how to remove alkaline battery residue Geoffrey S. Mendelson Electronics Repair 26 September 3rd 10 12:33 AM
Alkaline battery Bert Electronics Repair 9 January 21st 06 08:53 PM
Alkaline battery testing [email protected] Electronics Repair 10 October 15th 05 05:40 PM