Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door opener and wall switch not working

Hi, my 15-year old garage door is not working: I tried different things, but it is not responding to either remote control or the button on the wall, though the light in the opener blinks.

Does anyone know what is going on? Would it be worth asking a service man to come check it out, or it is actually worth just replacing it with a new one?

Thanks a lot!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hilbert wrote:
Hi, my 15-year old garage door is not working: I tried different things, but it is not responding to either remote control or the button on the wall, though the light in the opener blinks.

Does anyone know what is going on? Would it be worth asking a service man to come check it out, or it is actually worth just replacing it with a new one?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,
What model? On the wall is it keypad or just a push button switch?
Tried to reprogram the remote?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 21:15:02 -0700 (PDT), Hilbert
wrote:

Hi, my 15-year old garage door is not working: I tried different things, but it is not responding to either remote control or the button on the wall, though the light in the opener blinks.

Does anyone know what is going on? Would it be worth asking a service man to come check it out, or it is actually worth just replacing it with a new one?

Thanks a lot!

A garage door photo-eye sensor may be bad. Either a transmitter or a
receiver side.

I'd start there if nothing else works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbmufXgpl14
Posted to alt.home.repair

try plugging the opener into a extension cord to a known good outlet. a good friend called me with a opener doesnt work, turned out a breaker had tripped....

try the easy stuff first
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:40:29 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
try plugging the opener into a extension cord to a known good outlet. a good friend called me with a opener doesnt work, turned out a breaker had tripped....

try the easy stuff first

The light would not be blinking if it was not getting power.
As Oren suggested, I'd start with the photo sensors. Very common
for a problem there, ie debris blocking the lens, knocked out of
alignment, wire broken, etc to cause the symptom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/14, 12:15 AM, Hilbert wrote:
Hi, my 15-year old garage door is not working: I tried different things, but it is not responding to either remote control or the button on the wall, though the light in the opener blinks.

Does anyone know what is going on? Would it be worth asking a service man to come check it out, or it is actually worth just replacing it with a new one?

Thanks a lot!

On our opener, the blinking light means the photo sensors at the
bottom of the tracks are malfunctioning, usually just because they got
knocked out of alignment with each other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2014 11:15 PM, Hilbert wrote:
Hi, my 15-year old garage door is not working: I tried different
things, but it is not responding to either remote control or the
button on the wall, though the light in the opener blinks.

Does anyone know what is going on? Would it be worth asking a
service man to come check it out, or it is actually worth just
replacing it with a new one?

Thanks a lot!

Inspect the door and the track rails to make sure there isn't anything
that could be blocking the door's progress. Check around the sensors,
too, because even something as a minor as twig in front of the sensor
could be detected as a block. If the sensor detects a block, it won't
move the door.

Manually release the door from the opener. Open and close the door
manually. Does it move easily? If not, check for obstructions and look
carefully at the tracks while moving the door. The track may have come
out of alignment and need adjusting, or just need a bit of lubricant
to help the door move smoothly.

Next, with the opener still disengaged from the door, try running the
opener. Does it run? If it does, there's a problem with the door or
the frame, something that is triggering the sensor in the opener and
keeping it from moving the door. Sometimes this can fixed just by
making a minor change in the opener's travel or force adjustment
settings, but it could be indicating a bigger problem with the door.

I once had an opener quit running only while connected to the door.
The problem turned out to be a bent door frame. The part of the door
frame the opener arm was attached to had slowly bent over the years to
the point where the force needed to move the door exceeded the
opener's force limit settings. The solution was to replace the bent
section of door frame with a sturdier piece of steel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2014 8:32 AM, Retired wrote:
On 3/26/14, 12:15 AM, Hilbert wrote:
Hi, my 15-year old garage door is not working: I tried different
things, but it is not responding to either remote control or the
button on the wall, though the light in the opener blinks.

Does anyone know what is going on? Would it be worth asking a service
man to come check it out, or it is actually worth just replacing it
with a new one?

Thanks a lot!

On our opener, the blinking light means the photo sensors at the bottom
of the tracks are malfunctioning, usually just because they got knocked
out of alignment with each other.

And the number of blinks may indicate more specifically what the problem
is. Read the manual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 11:15:02 PM UTC-5, Hilbert wrote:
Hi, my 15-year old garage door is not working: I tried different things, but it is not responding to either remote control or the button on the wall, though the light in the opener blinks. Does anyone know what is going on? Would it be worth asking a service man to come check it out, or it is actually worth just replacing it with a new one? Thanks a lot!

My experience with the photo eye circuit stopping and then reversing the motor is that if you hold/continuously depress the pushbutton on the wall, you can force the door to go down. Of course, as soon as you let up on the pushbutton, the door will go back up. When it gets all the way up, it does flash the light built into the opener itself to tell you why the door went back up..

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Hilbert , Terry wrote:
min.zhu wrote:

Hi, my 15-year old garage door is not working: I tried different things,

but
it is not responding to either remote control or the button on the wall,
though the light in the opener blinks.
Does anyone know what is going on? Would it be worth asking a service man

come check it out, or it is actually worth just replacing it with a new
one?
Thanks a lot!

If neither the remote controls or wall mounted push button operate the
opener ensure that its power cord is plugged into a working power outlet.
If it is plugged in, test that there is power coming from the outlet, to
do this plug in a known working appliance such as a hairdryer for example
and switch it on, if it works you have power, if it does not the power
outlet is the problem.

If you have power going to the opener and you can smell a burnt electrical
odor, it is likely that the motor start capacitor is at fault, without
special test equipment the only way to confirm this is to replace it.

If there has been thunderstorms recently the circuit board may have been
damaged by lightning or a mains surge, this is not uncommon, inspect the
board if you can see signs of burning (black marks) the board will need
replacing, to prevent damage in the future fit a surge protector.

If you can hear the motor operating but the door is not moving it is
likely that one of the nylon drive gears has worn and needs replacing. The
problem could also be that the travel carriage teeth that engage with the
screw drive have become worn, in this case you need to replace the trolley
assembly.

http://www.teknuw.com/garage-door-repair-guide/

Posted to alt.home.repair

min.zhu wrote:

Hi, my 15-year old garage door is not working: I tried different things,

but
999999999999999999
it is not responding to either remote control or the button on the wall,

though the light in the opener blinks.

Does anyone know what is going on? Would it be worth asking a service man

come check it out, or it is actually worth just replacing it with a new

one?

Thanks a lot!

If neither the remote controls or wall mounted push button operate the

opener ensure that its power cord is plugged into a working power outlet.

If it is plugged in, test that there is power coming from the outlet, to

do this plug in a known working appliance such as a hairdryer for example

and switch it on, if it works you have power, if it does not the power

outlet is the problem.

If there was no power going to the opener, the light wouldn't be blinking.
The most common causue of a blinking light and the opener not operating is
a problem with the safety sensors, debris being in the way or out of
alignment.