Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Rain-X kit?

Anyone try the Rain-X deep-cleaning windshield kit? Work better than
regular liquid glass cleaners and scrubbers? I have a large number of tiny
'lumps' on my windshield. They only show up if I'm driving into the sun in
the morning or evening but annoying then.

Haven't priced or looked for a source for the kit yet.

Suggestions?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Mar 2014 16:10:07 GMT, KenK wrote:

Anyone try the Rain-X deep-cleaning windshield kit? Work better than
regular liquid glass cleaners and scrubbers? I have a large number of tiny
'lumps' on my windshield. They only show up if I'm driving into the sun in
the morning or evening but annoying then.

Haven't priced or looked for a source for the kit yet.

Suggestions?

TIA

Haven't used the kit. My preference for cleaning glass is to use
sudsy ammonia*, warm water and a micro-fiber cloth. Works well for
cleaning grime off windshields and inside the windows. The sudsy
ammonia is not the original concentrate; not does it smell like it.

• Do not use on a car window with UV protection or tinting - ammonia
will remove it. *

I've not had any problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
| Anyone try the Rain-X deep-cleaning windshield kit? Work better than
| regular liquid glass cleaners and scrubbers? I have a large number of tiny
| 'lumps' on my windshield. They only show up if I'm driving into the sun in
| the morning or evening but annoying then.
|
| Haven't priced or looked for a source for the kit yet.

I used it many years ago. It was just a cheap
squeeze bottle. One rubbed it on and then polished
it off. I was impressed with it. It works by coating
nicks and scratches to reduce refraction of light.
You just have to recoat occasionally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
Anyone try the Rain-X deep-cleaning windshield kit? Work better than
regular liquid glass cleaners and scrubbers? I have a large number of
tiny 'lumps' on my windshield. They only show up if I'm driving into
the sun in the morning or evening but annoying then.

Haven't priced or looked for a source for the kit yet.

Suggestions?

Have you tried scraping those lumps off with something? Credit card, razor
blade, ice scraper.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in news:lghs7r$5n2$1@dont-
email.me:

KenK wrote:
Anyone try the Rain-X deep-cleaning windshield kit? Work

better than
regular liquid glass cleaners and scrubbers? I have a large

number of
tiny 'lumps' on my windshield. They only show up if I'm

driving into
the sun in the morning or evening but annoying then.

Haven't priced or looked for a source for the kit yet.

Suggestions?

Have you tried scraping those lumps off with something?

Credit card,
razor blade, ice scraper.....

Fingernail, ice scraper, and one of those scrubber/sqeegees
like you see at filling stations. No success.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
Anyone try the Rain-X deep-cleaning windshield kit? Work

better than
regular liquid glass cleaners and scrubbers? I have a large

number of
tiny 'lumps' on my windshield. They only show up if I'm

driving into
the sun in the morning or evening but annoying then.

Haven't priced or looked for a source for the kit yet.

Suggestions?

Have you tried scraping those lumps off with something?

Credit card,
razor blade, ice scraper.....

Fingernail, ice scraper, and one of those scrubber/sqeegees
like you see at filling stations. No success.

Go to an auto glass shop and tell them it's safety issue - the lumps
distract the driver when the sun hit them. You are not lying. If you notice
them when the sun hits them, then they are distracting you.

Have the shop replace the windshield and handle the insurance claim.

You do have full glass coverage, don't you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
Anyone try the Rain-X deep-cleaning windshield kit? Work better than
regular liquid glass cleaners and scrubbers? I have a large number of tiny
'lumps' on my windshield. They only show up if I'm driving into the sun in
the morning or evening but annoying then.

Haven't priced or looked for a source for the kit yet.

Suggestions?

TIA

I've lived with desert sand pitted windshield. I've used auto car wax with
mild results. I also have wiper streaks. I bought some of this, but not
have tried it yet.

http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-nu-glass.html

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
[...]

Any reputable shop would clean them off.

Try the razor blade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've used Rain-X glass cleaner and it removed the road film much better than
Windex or other typical glass cleaners. Then I applied Rain-X, polished it
out, and it caused the water to bead up during rain storms, improving
visibility. Now I used a Rain-X wiper fluid that does much the same thing
but with not additional effort

"KenK" wrote in message
Anyone try the Rain-X deep-cleaning windshield kit? Work better than
regular liquid glass cleaners and scrubbers? I have a large number of tiny
'lumps' on my windshield. They only show up if I'm driving into the sun in
the morning or evening but annoying then.

Haven't priced or looked for a source for the kit yet.

Suggestions?

TIA

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

KenK wrote:
[...]

I'm in the midst of changing auto insurance companies. I don't think this
is an appropriate time for an expensive claim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in :

KenK wrote:
[...]

Looked around and don't have one, except Schick Hydro blades for a razor
which are too small to use conveniently. I do have some unused blades for
my box cutter. Anyone see a problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Mar 2014 16:20:56 GMT, KenK wrote:

Looked around and don't have one, except Schick Hydro blades for a razor
which are too small to use conveniently. I do have some unused blades for
my box cutter. Anyone see a problem?

Yes, possibly. Some windshields will scratch easily. Best to try it
on a spot off to the side where it won't bother you if it does
scratch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:10:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Looked around and don't have one, except Schick Hydro blades for a razor
which are too small to use conveniently. I do have some unused blades for
my box cutter. Anyone see a problem?

Yes, possibly. Some windshields will scratch easily. Best to try it
on a spot off to the side where it won't bother you if it does
scratch.

+ 1 Same is true in home windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Anyone try the Rain-X deep-cleaning windshield kit? Work better than
regular liquid glass cleaners and scrubbers? I have a large number of tiny
'lumps' on my windshield. They only show up if I'm driving into the sun in
the morning or evening but annoying then.

Haven't priced or looked for a source for the kit yet.

Suggestions?

TIA

Clorox Soft Scrub or Bon Ami

--
Tekkie

O/T: Rain - F/U Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 5 March 2nd 14 04:58 AM
O/T: Rain Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 6 January 19th 14 02:36 AM
Rain, rain go away. Water in basement cln Home Repair 9 December 16th 11 04:59 PM
Rain anyone ? Colin Wilson UK diy 17 May 13th 08 06:20 AM
Rain m Ransley Home Repair 24 July 7th 04 03:57 AM